using a sporter gun..

SirMorris

Dear All,

Your help is most needed!

Getting used to my new 525 sporter.

Took it DTL and figured out that I always need to block the target if I am to hit it... ( i aim perfectly flat on the rib).

However, when I took my gun sporting, it was quite confusing and the results came out shameful.

My question is the following... with the stock configuration of a sporter, what is the right setup, block the target or see it sat on the bead?

and if i am to aim at angle above the rib... would that change with the distance to targets??

hope i am making any sense!

ok mate first things first ive shot dtl wid a sporter the whole time and ive pulled 99s out of the bag and am currently a B class shooter so if any1 tells you that you need a trap gun tell them to *****r off. secondly your gun fits you and fires differently depending on what make of gun, length of barrels/stock, cartridge, tpye of choke etc etc so there is no definate answer until u find what combination is right for you. until then... i always put the bead on the clay as a sporter is flat whereas a trap gun you should have the bead underneath as it is higher on the rib. remember dtl = steady and precise dont flash the gun over the top or you will miss the clays.

hope this helps ;)

Edited by PUSC

With DTL your target is rising where as with Sporting often the target is flat or dropping when you take the shot. Every target needs a different approach potentially depending on what it is doing, my suggestion would have a lesson or to with a good coach. Failing that as a starting point with standard Crossers try missing them well in front and 6 inches high ie aim above them and see what you hit, don't let the bird start to drop before taking the shot. Might just get you started.

ok mate first things first ive shot dtl wid a sporter the whole time and ive pulled 99s out of the bag and am currently a B class shooter so if any1 tells you that you need a trap gun tell them to *****r off. secondly your gun fits you and fires differently depending on what make of gun, length of barrels/stock, cartridge, tpye of choke etc etc so there is no definate answer until u find what combination is right for you. until then... i always put the bead on the clay as a sporter is flat whereas a trap gun you should have the bead underneath as it is higher on the rib. remember dtl = steady and precise dont flash the gun over the top or you will miss the clays.

hope this helps ;)

Hi PUSC, Thanks for the quick reply. I am actually using my lovely Browning 525 32" multi chokes ( i am currently fitting the IC/M, unless i am at DTL where I use IM/F : I like to dust them not break them!). I am also using size 8 prima that I prefer to the 7.5 compX which seemed to be much slower.

tbh those compx i love to pieces cheap as chips and do me well enuf but all is in the users own opinion! 32inch are popular amongst dtl shooters (myself using one). i use half choke and 3/4 choke seems to do the trick. tbh dusting them is a lot more satisfying but i found that when id wing one it would make me more nervous so dont let it get to you if you dont get that dust each shot a kill is a kill ;)

If your having to ask then you need more practice, you are also having to think about it too much.

If you want to know in your head where the gun shoots, shoot a pattern plate. My advice would be to just go and shoot it. You make adjustments naturally, but it takes time.

I used to overthink my shooting, being technically minded, and i still do, but you need to simply get on with it. Otherwise you will always think of a reason your missing.

The best two shoots ive ever done were under massive pressure to organise an event (bisley meeting shot 47ex50) and when my brand new gun broke at a compact shoot (shot 48ex50)

Less talking more shooting.

Most, (but not all), top Sporting shots shoot a gun with a very flat rib, i.e. it shoots exactly where you point it and you shouldn't see any rib when your cheek is hard down on the stock.

As you say, you will need to "block" the target if you are shooting DTL with a flat ribbed sporter, that's why most serious trap shooters use a gun that shoots high so they can see the bird as they shoot it.

Don't get hung up over the "speed" of cartridges, if you can discern a noticeable difference in "speed" whilst using different standard load shells shooting a DTL bird, you're already an expert, because I certainly can't..!!

Cat.

i shoot a 525 sporter for sporting,skeet and sometimes dtl/abt

the 525 shoots to point of aim , a touch lower than most sporters i have used, for dtl once you have established a consistant sight picture, what works for me is to sweep up through the target as soon as you cover it pull the trigger and keep moving, remember what you saw when the clay breaks and repeat it.

i am not an expert trap shooter but that works for me with the same gun, also open your chokes to mod and im mod you dont need any more for dtl.