2 Deer 1 Bullet!

A123

Do you think this is real? its gotta be near impossible to get two deer in one shot.

And you read most of the coments on their?

Df

No it's not, I shot two muntjac with one bullet two years ago, the first bullet broke up in the chest, a piece of jacket came out and into the heart of the second one, both were dead when I reached them. Bullets frequently go straight through deer.

im sorry i don't want to burst your bubble but i think it was stupid puting that up on here. in fact i think it was stupid taking the shot when there was another muntjac in the possible killing area of the aimed deer. i am no expert but even i would not have take the shot.

So, the PW police are employing 16 year old children who do not even own guns to monitor experienced deer stalkers now? I would have thought that over 30 years of deerstalking may have given me a vague idea of what is and what is not a shot, but obviously not. Anybody know where I can get a bubble repair kit?

You are correct highseas, I did not know that there were two deer untill I went to pick them up, whether this will be a good enough defence against the all seeing, all knowing PW police remains to be seen.......and of course in the future, I will not even take a shot at a pigeon if there is another one in the"possible killing area". Computer games have a lot to answer for.

Do you think this is real? its gotta be near impossible to get two deer in one shot.

Df

No it's not, I shot two muntjac with one bullet two years ago, the first bullet broke up in the chest, a piece of jacket came out and into the heart of the second one, both were dead when I reached them. Bullets frequently go straight through deer.

im sorry i don't want to burst your bubble but i think it was stupid puting that up on here. in fact i think it was stupid taking the shot when there was another muntjac in the possible killing area of the aimed deer. i am no expert but even i would not have take the shot.

So, the PW police are employing 16 year old children who do not even own guns to monitor experienced deer stalkers now? I would have thought that over 30 years of deerstalking may have given me a vague idea of what is and what is not a shot, but obviously not. Anybody know where I can get a bubble repair kit?

You are correct highseas, I did not know that there were two deer untill I went to pick them up, whether this will be a good enough defence against the all seeing, all knowing PW police remains to be seen.......and of course in the future, I will not even take a shot at a pigeon if there is another one in the"possible killing area". Computer games have a lot to answer for.

B) :no:

Robert

Df

im not trying to tell you how to stalk all i was saying was that i think it was stupid puting that on here when we all know that there are antys come on here and see what we do. if you had of mentioned that you did even know there was 2 deer it would have looked beter.

i see things ant changed much on here over the last couple of months

Edited by russ91

i am no expert but even i would not have take the shot.

I agree Russ, you're no expert.

You couldn't have taken the shot as you haven't got a deer legal rifle.

You think nothing had changed? It had :lol:

Carry on chaps, interesting topic

Dave

(that shoots deer and has a deer legal rifle and an open ticket and been shooting a long time and would love to economise with 2 deer with one shot) :good:

i am no expert but even i would not have take the shot.

I agree Russ, you're no expert.

You couldn't have taken the shot as you haven't got a deer legal rifle.

You think nothing had changed? It had :lol:

Carry on chaps, interesting topic

Dave

(that shoots deer and has a deer legal rifle and an open ticket and been shooting a long time and would love to economise with 2 deer with one shot) :good:

Thats a cracking line :P:hmm:

Edited by Trussman

I think your missing the point here! The deer was shot in error because it wasn't seen and the bullet went through the first deer and into the latter, can happen but unfortunate ,best avoided. However any stalker worth his salt would never attempt this purposefully! Anyone who would do so would rightly be classed as a cowboy! This happened to me with Fallow on one occaison and the bullet went through the neck of the beast I shot and into the liver of the second which was lying down behind it and wasn't visible! Eventually found said deer next morning on a dawn search, luckily was still usable! :blink: :blink:

While having a quick look last night at 'Big game and Big game rifles' I came across this passage. Reading through the chapter on the .375 H&H Magnum, the author John Taylor, who was a professional hunter in Africa, states that he managed to shoot seven Eland with one shot from a .375, had several times killled three Buffalo with one shot and once shot a Buffalo in the face and found the bullet had come out of the rear of the Buffalo having travelled through the animals body.

Now I appreciate that this was done with a Magnum Safari calibre, but Eland and Buffalo are big animals so if animals of that size can be killed one shot from a sufficient calibre, Deer should be similar.

As I said ,no stalker worth his salt would attempt this! The bullet can hit bone and deflect anywhere going into parts of the second animal you wouldn't target, the guts,jaw etc causing a long and excruciating death. Attitudes to animals welfare were far different when John "Pondoro" Taylor was hunting Africa.Thankfully, we have progressed since then.

I have read this thread with great interest & it's funny as some on here with no experiance are passing comments & some have learnt that a rifle can kill more than one with one shot. This shows there experiance & may i hope it be a lesson for those in the future if you are getting an FAC & cf rifle.

Back stops as stated early on are a must & we must learn that when a bullet leaves a rifle it can go & do any thing & damage. We must under stand that the bullet losess serious energy if it is tumbling after exit of animal but still kill.

It's very hard working with deer in herds like red/fallow/sika & to pick out what you think good safe shots as you always consider the bullet taking out another beast but as stated bullets can do funny things & is out our control once discharged thus the importance of safty & position of other deer taken into account.

When you look at how few accidents are caused by stray or ricochet bullets from stalking rifles it goes to prove that us who shoot deer do know what we are doing . I have on a couple of occations heard the bullet ricochet after passing through a deer .Having seen how bullets can ricochet after shooting tracers on a night shoot on a military range i wont attempt a shot without a suitable back stop . Any experianced stalker will tell you that two deer with one shot is more common than you think . Harnser .