WARNING – stupid newbie question!

Scotsman

Guys,

I’ve been reading these forums for several weeks now and already taken in masses of information – so cheers for that already :)

After shooting rifles for the last 10 years or so, I’m just starting pigeon shooting at the request of a local farmer. I’ve had reasonable success just by going for a walk with the dog, shooting 3 or 4 pigeon and then using these as decoys to pull in a few more. Unfortunately this tactic means I waste a couple of hours getting the first few.

So, today I got down to the local gunsmiths and bought a dozen “SportPlast” shell decoys. Here comes the stupid question – they come with a plastic stake; the end of which has a hook moulded into it – what is this for? The hooks go straight through the decoys holes and can only serve to make the decoys less realistic.

Cheers in advance for any help :lol:

The Scotsman.

The hook is there if it is windy so that if the wind gets under the deeks it wont blow them over.

The Birds dont see em and they are rather annoying but the thought was there and the hook doesnt matter that much.

We were out the other day in a fair wind and the ones with the hooks snapped off didnt fall over.

Dont lose any sleep over it but if you want to keep the palm of your hand i suggest the use of a dibber that you would normally use for planting bulbs in the garden.

Hope thats of help

Spenner

I always thought the hook was to hang the decoy on a branch, as in lofting. :)

the top of the peg fits quite tightly into the decoy so I cant see the hook helping it to stay on, they just got on my nerves so I snapped them all off and I just wear a pair of leather gloves when I'm setting up, (to protect my sensitive skin) :lol:

Harry hawk, your spot on there mate.

The next time you go out which should be a fairly windy day for good pigeon movement, place the decoy onto the hook put dont push it right down untill it locks into place, when the wind blows the decoys starts to peck the ground.

I do this with every other decoy,and you will see a difference if you try this, even when birds land in sitty trees this extra movement can pull them out into your pattern even when they have had a chance to sit there and check out your deeks.

It wasnt untill I got back into my hide and looked into my pattern to see one of my shell deeks pecking away, and as soon as I had seen this I do it with 50% of the pattern.

I dont have any full bodys so I'm not sure if this works on them but it does with shells.

The PM

I agree that you need the movement, I have trimmed the top of some of the pegs so that they rock, if very windy I just don't use those 6 pegs.

The main reason I cut the hooks off is because they kept bending when I pushed them in the ground ( it can be hard round these parts) and a few just snapped anyway.