need some help choosing a shotgun...

myzeneye

guys, the certs in the post.... i have now rounded up the cash. i have £500 or there abouts... ive been looking at 2nd hand shotguns on guntrader and now im almost ready to make a move, i thought id ask your valued opinions....

choices are: lanber - sporting delux

betinsolli - diamond line...

lincon....

berretta....

now, i want the gun to be an all rounder, clays and rough shooting. are the guns im looking at good for the money? ie* should i be looking at bottom of the range 2nd hand barretta's or concentrating on the lanber,bettinsolli etc.....

any other suggestions are welcomed, if you own any of these guns please say what you like/dislike about them....

(mods- if this post is in the wrong section i appolagise....)

matty.

Beretta would be my first choice but have had many lanbers and they,

live forever and youll get a newer one than the beretta for your money,

tried both the others lincoln and bettinsoli didnt like either of them not

for looks but parts breaking etc and the bettinsoli diamond we bought

blew the action out after 7 shots and brand new.

df.. the £500 is for the gun, the "or so" is for the basc membership... so, i could at a push be persuaded to forgo the insurance till next payday!

i have ear defenders and wear specs so..... and im a cheeky B@satrd, so would expect a gun shop to throw me a cheap slip when buying their gun.....

2shots...

thats what i thought, my mate insists i should get a barretta, and im sure they are the boll@x, but i reckon for that kind of money it would be an older cheaper model, not the silver pig he has....

when i went in the local gun shop, the lincon (not sure of model) seemed plastic'y and not quite the same quality as the lanber.... the lanber seemed to have the quality of my mates silver pigion and had me convinced....

but im making my judment on inexperienced feel and looks....

then when we talk about looks, the bettinsolli looks the dogs dangelies.... loads od detail and bling......

ive read a bit on chokes and it seems i'll have to make a descision on that too, also, my mate tells me it should take 3" magnums too..... how important is this?

The bettinsolis are a nice gun for the money but after our experience I wouldnt

have another one,the lanbers have been around for years and are well proven,

plenty spares etc and only around 600 new,IF going to be goose shooting all the

time fair enough on the magnum chamber but Ive been shooting ducks geese

etc for years now and never had one,the cartridges are a fortune and kick like

billy horrible things,I still get my fair share of the geese etc without killing myself

to do it.

Forgot ,I would buy a multichoke as your sorted for almost any type of shooting

with the various patterns you can chuck by changing them.

Edited by 2shots

good point mate.

so, the next question now im pretty much set on the lanber is.... is their any model in particular i should look for..... my mates gun had 30" barrells and i liked the feel of it... alot of the lanbers ive seen are 28" is there any advantage etc in barrel length?

and, does anyone have a lanber for sale.....<_< ( 2shots i think we spoke about this recently? do you still have it?)

i think for a lanber i will be prepared to pay £400 ish 2nd hand as ive seen a few beauties at £395 in local'ish shops... this will leave me the cash to go the whole hog and get basc insurance and a bit of cheap real tree gear.....

ferretman, baikial really was 1st on my list.... till i held one. ok on the back of a tractor i guess as a tool, but i guess its not for me... i can see why they are so cheap, when i tried to break the gun the thing felt like a rusty hinge, the stock felt like plastic.... etc etc.... o.k for the money but i think i can get a better quality of gun for what i have to spend.... i beleive they kick like a mule too......

dont get me wrong mate, i believe they are a popular gun and a reliable tool, good for the money, but still, they never floated my boat.

the 30 inch swing a lot easier than the 28 but a few I know cant get used to the barrel

length ,your better off trying a few to see what suits, my brother cant hit a thing with

a 30 but takes some beating with the 28 its just preference.Sold a 12g lanber a few weeks ago

to fund the grandsons new SG will be buying him a 20 bore to use.for the cash youve got3-400

should buy you a nice lanber no more than 3 years old, my son was going to buy a used

beretta but used his 450 as a deposit on new and pays 25 a month for his gun.

Myzeneye

Same position as you (i.e. looking for a gun), I had a look at a Yildiz at the NWSS in Sealand over the weekend, and it seemed quite nice for the price (I think it was about 500 for a new gun) - here is a link for a review http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/guns/92995/...gun_review.html

I've not shot one yet, so my opinion is based on look and feel in a gunshop, and what I've read, but it seems to be a gun one could consider?

Anybody here used one before?

Regards

Neels

For that sort of money you could probably get a half tidy Browning. Look after it and it'll last you a lifetime. I bought a 325 28" barrels about a year ago, and it's bombproof. Paid £600 for it. Have used it for skeet mainly, but it can easily handle sporting targets, and trap disciplines. I could probably sell it for pretty much what i paid for it, not bad for a 16 yr old gun. I doubt a Lanber would hold it's value and probably best not to go for a Bettinsoli, look nice but fall apart!!

neels, thats where ive been shooting north wales shooting school and it was a lanber in there that caught my eye.....

maybe ill see you there sometime... keep your eyes peeled for a large harry hill look alike with a shiny new lanber and a huge grin !!!

Whatever you get it wont be lonely in your cabinet for long I bet <_< My first was an AYA Yeomano/u. Massively reliable. Plenty about for spares and great pedigree. Strictly speaking a fixed choke game gun but does not look out of place at clays.Not 3in chambered tho but mine was happy with2 3/4 in BB loads. Theres one for £295 at Branthwaites Cheadle.Got a website. Couple of Remington (Baikal built) and Mirokus within your budget too. All the best.

http://www.abgunsmiths.co.uk/guns.asp?typex=1

Hi Myzeneye

Found this courtesy of google:

http://www.yildizshotgun.com/esuperpoze.html

I would not know if all or any of these are available in the UK, but its probably worth speaking to NWSS. I am also looking to see if I can find some more local information on Yildiz. If I come up with anything I'll let you know

I really need to invest in one of the members badges, the other idea would be to get PW shirts/shooting vests made with your username on the back;-)

Cheers

Neels

I would be temted to go for a Lanber Sporting as you saw @ NWSS ...built by Beretta I belive and feels a bit like one too..Had one for years before upgrading it...only lost £175 which was fair enough .the Bettinsoli will break it seems..which is a pity as they are a lot of gun for the money...but think the good looks are only skin deep...seems to be lots of spring breakage problems

Good second hand buy if you can get one....Fabarm Gamma ..For £500 you will probaly only get a worn Browning or Beretta ...

NWSS was selling the Lanbers only £20 more than lowest internet prices last time I was in

First gun was a lanber sporter (S/H). Added to the collection with a used lincoln trap gun, an ugartechea side by side and finally a new bettinsoli. The bettinsoli looks nice, but to be fair, I'm looking to out it 'cos i can't shoot the bloody thing straight, the action's horrible and it just doesn't feel right. I use the ugartechea and lincoln for a chuckle every now and then, but always go back to the lanber. The wood finish is horribly varnished and whatever cut the engraving in was blunt, but it shoots straight, is completely reliable and feels right when i bring it up. I'm not the best shot in the world by a long chalk, but my lanber certainly holds its own against guns 10 times the price.

ferretman, sheepishly taking back what i just said.... ive just seen a baikail spartan spr310.... it looks wicked... much better than the cheapies ive seen..... anyone got anything to say on the spartan?

Myzeneye,

My brother in law uses one of the new Baikal OU multichokes and it is a decent gun. It is built like a tank, and as has been stated will last you a lifetime.

I own a basic Lanber OU 30" mutlichoke as my hide gun, and I love it. IMHO, since it is gamefair season, get yourself along to one and see what deals you can pick up, you can save a packet :good:

Whatever you go for, make sure it fits you and does what you need. When you get it, practise. When you hit a patch where you cant seem to improve, dont blame the gun, the cartridge, your glasses or anything else. Go back to basics and see what you are doing wrong. Book a session with a coach if you can stump up the readies, it will be worth every penny.

All the best, hope what you buy serves you well.

ZB