3rd time shooting shotgun

bazguevara

I shot 40 bird sporting at the BASC fair in Bodelwyddan today, it was my 3rd time shooting a shotgun, 1st outing with my new shotgun (Miroku 6000, 28", full,3/4) and 1st ever comp. After a slow start I started to get into the swing of things and managed a not too embarrassing 31/40. I think I'll be spending every moment of free time at the clay ground from now on!

To be honest I didn't buy it for sporting but I figured if I can hit them with that I can hit them with anything. Once I've got a bit more cash I'll probably be buying a multi.

I'm guessing that using fibre wads might spread the pattern a bit more than plastic so I was using Just Cartridges' CSP fibre.

They were actually pretty clean, hardly anything visible after shooting, I let the bore cleaner do its thing for about 10 mins and it was clean after about 4/5 passes with the wire brush, cloth was fairly manky tho. I don't know if I'm doing it properly, it's the first time I've ever done it! :)

Edited by bazguevara

I'd go further, unless you are shooting at long sporting targets then skeet & skeet will do you. Long can be defined as way longer than you will have yet seen, blokes have a habit of exaggerating distances (so Mungler and LV tell me anyway!)

I used to be a choke fiddler, I admit it and I thought it made a massive difference. Not shot a lot in the last 6 months but I the 1000 I have shot I used whatever was in the gun (skeet & skeet rhino's) with No8 CCI claybusters. Ok not a lot of targets but there wasn't a single sporting target in there that I didn't break at least a few times with those chokes.

My view now is that if you are in the right place with skeet and 8's you'll break the target, at extreme range you might need to tighten up the chokes but at normal grounds you won't see extreme range. My experience thus far, and it's not extensive, is that you are MUCH more likely to be fooled by the course setter than you are to miss because you read the target PERFECTLY and put the shot in EXACTLY the right place but somehow the pattern you threw had bigger than clay sized holes in it!

Just my view :)

Edited by pin