shooting pigeons

erk108

i am new to pigeon shooting and now getting used to shooting pigeons in flight.I have followed advise on these forums and can now hit pigeons whilst flying sideways or towards me.I have diffculty in hitting them when they are flying away from me (just seeing their backs).Is there a tip anyone can offer me on this please.I am sure i hit them but not enough shot in pattern.

Edited by erk108

Hi,

I wouldn't suggest shooting at birds going directly away from you unless they are very close about 20m or less (although this is just a personal preference) with normal game loads.

This is because basically you are shooting them up the **** and as a result not hitting anything vital most of the time as the penertration just isn't there. This means you are just wounding them which obviously you don't want.

If I may ask, what sort of pigeon shooting are you doing, decoying?

Hope this helps a bit.

FM :yes:

Erk 108

you are proberbly shooting at them to far out .Its surprising how fast a pigeon flying away from you can move . You need to learn to judge distance and believe me it can be very difficult in the heat of the moment and trying to mount the gun onto the bird . A simple tip is to put a stick in ground 35 paces from you hide ,infront of you and to both sides of you ,you will then be able to see the radious of your killing zone .Dont attempt any birds out side that zone and i promise you more clean kills .

If you are able to afford it a couple of lessons with a good shooting instructor will pay dividends . Best of luck . Harnser .

This not a easy one to answer.

if they are going away and climbing you need to shoot them in front/above, or blot them out.

If they are going away and to the left or right you need to give the a little lead in the diretion they are going as well as shooting above.

If they are above you and going away you need to keep in front of them.

Hope this helps.

Sundodger

The most common problem IMO. How many times have I heard people sigh, ‘l know I hit that bird hard, look at all the feathers’ but if you take a good look at a pigeons body the rear end/back bit is rock hard grissle (that’s also where all those loose feathers are) and unless hit close to your shot is unlikely to penetrate to damage any vital organs. Must give Woody a sore **** but how much damage it does is debatable.