Newbie in Reading

Raj_UK

Hi Everyone

Just thought I'd say hi since I just signed up on here

Currently awaiting my SGC application to be processed

I'm looking for a Gun Cabinet and I was recommended a BrattonSound ... and a quick search on PW shows that Paul Hart is the person to contact so I've just PM'ed him

SG wise I'm leaning towards a Browning Cynergy (edit : I forgot to mention I'm looking for the Black Ice version) 12g 30" so my search continues for the best place to source one from ... preferably new if not secondhand but in as new condition

I'll also look for a list of standard SG ownership accessories too

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Oh and I'm just going to be busting clays for the foreseeable future

regards

Raj

Edited by Raj_UK

welcome to PW Raj. I was about to suggest you sign up here on the MLR, but you beat me to it :good:

hi J@mes ... I found PW when I was googling for BrattonSound ... small world isn't it

I'm moving to Reading at the beginning of September so if you find any decent clay grounds let me know and I will join you there.

And welcome to PW.

hi atGanI (well it's shorter than typing your full username :good:) ... hopefully my SGC will have arrived by then ... a few of my friends go to local grounds so I hope to tag along more with them to some shoots as a guest

sorry for the newbie questions :

1. how long should an SGC take to be processed ?

2. besides a shotgun, trigger lock, carry case, gun cabinet, ammo, ammo bag, shooting jacket, shooting glasses, shooting gloves ... what should I need ... especially re: gun care

any pointers would be appreciated

:good:

Welcome to PW Raj. :good:

There is a friendly clay shoot just south of Reading, near Grazeley called Happy Valley Clays; Happy Valley

It's a well run, decent club with an ever-changing sporting clays set up. Seriously, well worth a visit. :blush:

There are several reputable gunshops nearby around Oxford that sell Browning, amongst others; try taking a look at the following

Adenbourne

Francis Lovel

Oxford Gun Co

I'm in Reading too and often shoot at Happy Valley, so maybe our paths will cross :oops:

All the best,

Paul.

Theres quite a few other little sunday morning shoots around the area similar to Happy Valley - Grazeley, Hanson, Black Barn, Englefield. PM me if you want a bit more info on any.

Regarding what you need - personally wouldn't bother with trigger lock (not needed if the gun is always stored in cabinet and embarrasing when you leave the key at home - happened to one of our beaters last season on the beaters day ;o) )

Buy a basic cleaning kit with rods, bronze brush, sheepskin brush, a can of Napier gun cleaner, some gun oil and that'll pretty much do you for starters. Loo roll and kitchen rool pretty handy though.

thanks for the feedback everyone

just spoke to the Oxford Gun Co. so I'll be heading along there at some point to try out a variety of guns in my price range and narrow it down to a few which fit me best ... fingers crossed a Cynergy is one of them since atm I have my heart set on one of those

thanks Cushat for the list of cleaning equipment I'll need

:good:

Unfortunately the SGC takes as long as it takes. (mine was 4 months)

If they have cashed the cheque, that means they have got the application.

The only way I was able to speed mine up was to inform my FEO that I was available any time on any day for the interview/ inspection - most people are only available after working hours, which makes getting round them all a drawn out process.

If you havent heard anything in 4-6 weeks, I would give them a ring and make sure everything is ok.