WD40

triggerhappy

WD40 dispereses water wouldn't have though it would disperse oil.

Most airguns have a minimal amount of lubrication and maintenance nedeed. If you get a springer then the manual might tell you to grease the spring from time to time but probably not as that would need tools to access it. Follow any manfacturers direction I reckon. But I always used wd40 on a cloth to wipe of my fingerprints etc... so it didn't eat the blueing.

Cheers,

Ben

I use WD40 and the castrol equivilent for protecting the external parts of my guns and have done for 20 years. They look great... I think its brilliant stuff.. Wouldnt recommend it instead of a proper light gun or sewing machine oil though for internal workings... Never put oil down the barrell of an Airgun you run the risk of dieseling. Though rare it can happen. I clean my air rifles with a nylon chord and lint free pull through impregnated with a little light gun oil. I have rarely used a solvent cleaner on the barrel because with regular cleaning (as above ) it is not necessary.

FM.

I dont care what people use I have been in the gun trade for years and would not let WD40 near a gun as a lubricant neither would any of my colleagues. It is verry good as a penetrating oil and for water dispersant but for long term use on a gun get some gun oil it realy is as simple as that if you still want a gun in good nick in 10 years time

Dave

PS If i had nothing else I would use WD40 in the short tearm until I got some gun oil but I would re apply on a weekly baisis even if I had not used the gun

ok first of all i know the B2 is not the best airgun there is. but as i am only starting out i want a cheap rifle just to get me into airgunning. i dont know yet if this is something i will be very dedicated to so i don't want to blow away £190 on a gun right now. unless you can find something under £40 for me that is better, i will buy the B2. so don't try to change my mind about it.

so what exactly is dieseling anyway? is it when the barrel smokes? what problems does this cause?

WD 40 has a number of uses on of which is as a degreaser so not good for oiled parts. If I'm not mistaken this dieseling is something that goes on everyday in engines the world over, if you compress oil you get combustion which isn't good. Don't know wether this would happen in an air rifle barrel though wouldn't have thought the pressures and temperatures would have been high enough. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Squint

Dieselling is the curse of the spring powerd air rifle. It is caused by lubricant in the swept area of the cylander ignighting by the preasure caused by the piston rushing forward. It will make some shots over the legal limit if the gun is teatering on the edge of the legal limit. It will also cause the gun to shoot inconsistantly untill all of the lubricant is burnt. Another side efect is the piston will also move back verry quickly upon detonation (dieselling) and has the potential to cause damage to the gun both gradualy and there is a possibility of catastrophic failure of the mainspring (meaning it may suddenly fracture in to several parts).

Dont be allarmd dieseling is not normaly a massive problem ensure when you clean the gun you dont allow oils to get between the piston and its stop. If you do get dieselling fir the gun until it stops dieselling. and try to ensure it does not happen again

Dave

I dont care what people use I have been in the gun trade for years and would not let WD40 near a gun

Why not Dave..?

Its harmless stuff... To quote WD40 only unsuitable for use on Polycarbonates or Polystyrenes..

I use it regularly on all 7 of my guns including a Austrian 1934 16 g which looks as good today as it did when it came out of the gunsmiths at Ferlach 70 years ago. My grandfather who had it before me used WD40 on it since the mid 70,s

True it is a Water Dispersant/Displacement hence the name WD and is mineral oil based petoleum distillate (according to my Father in Law who is a industrial Chemist for Burma Castrol )

I agree it would not be an ideal lubricant for the internal working mechanisms where there is frequent frictional metal to metal contact as it would encourage wear. but for external use as a protective film it is ideal.

Each to his own I suppose.

Cheers.

FM.

Not sure how correct this is.....but an old shooting pal of mine was berating WD40

a number of years ago. He went overseas for a while, and wrapped a couple of his

pistols (before the ban) in WD40 soaked cloths.

When he next came to use them 10 months later, the blue/black had been taken

off both barrels and actions.

Since then I've never used WD40 for anything other than water dispersal after a

wet day, and always make sure I remove as much trace of it afterwards.

I dont care what people use I have been in the gun trade for years and would not let WD40 near a gun

Why not Dave..?

Its harmless stuff... To quote WD40 only unsuitable for use on Polycarbonates or Polystyrenes..

I use it regularly on all 7 of my guns including a Austrian 1934 16 g which looks as good today as it did when it came out of the gunsmiths at Ferlach 70 years ago. My grandfather who had it before me used WD40 on it since the mid 70,s

True it is a Water Dispersant/Displacement hence the name WD and is mineral oil based petoleum distillate (according to my Father in Law who is a industrial Chemist for Burma Castrol )

I agree it would not be an ideal lubricant for the internal working mechanisms where there is frequent frictional metal to metal contact as it would encourage wear. but for external use as a protective film it is ideal.

Each to his own I suppose.

Cheers.

FM.

I dont care what people use because it does not efect me!!

But as I said in the bottom paragraph I would use it in the short tearm if I had nothing else but I have seen guns which have been lubed up with WD40 rust badly because it evaperates. If WD40 was the best lube for guns that is what would be sold for guns. Never seen guns that have been cleaned and lubed properly rust

Dave

in a way this dieseling does sound cool if it causes a gun to shoot that fast, but i will try to avoid it because i want consistant and accurate shots and i don't want to **** the gun up. so how exactly do you lube an airgun without this problem being caused? one of you said not to spray it down the barrel, so where do you spray it?

in a way this dieseling does sound cool if it causes a gun to shoot that fast, but i will try to avoid it because i want consistant and accurate shots and i don't want to **** the gun up. so how exactly do you lube an airgun without this problem being caused? one of you said not to spray it down the barrel, so where do you spray it?

if you think its cool ,let me tell of a stupid prank i did as a kid ,after finding out the effects of a dieseling weapon,speed increase ,power out the ying yang ,i had to find out more ,along came my old friend ether ,the compression of my old springer

HW35E and a few drops of the liquid and BANGthere went one of the best guns i had , the more shots i took the more i wanted ,and un beknown i was streching the threads in the block at the rear of the spring ,you know the place RIGHT WHERE YOUR FACE SITS AND YOUR EYE IS LEVEL WITH !!!!!!!

call myself stupid a couple of times ,young free and bullet proof ,those were the days :*) :*)

in short ,dieseling a bad thing for any gun

martin

Devilishdave...that was a great explanaition of dieseling. When I first started out with ariguns my brother and I would purposely spray an oil in the combusiton chamber. Never said I was a smart teenager now did I? We thought the smoke and extra power were great. I remember hearing the pellets splatter into tiny fragments when they hit the pellet trap. We did manage to ruin one pellet rifle that way and that pretty much stopped us from doing it.

Have nay of you ever tried a product called EEZOX? It is a great protector of metal. If you were to take a brand new firearm off of the shelf in your favorite gunshop and wipe it down with EEZOX...you would see an amazing amount of rust removed from that brand new gun. After cleaning my 22's (firearm's) barrel I pass one patch with a small amount of eezox through it. I don't believe it would cause dieseling as there are no petroleum products in it. Here's the link http://www.eezox.com/index.htm . It is a very hard to find product around here so I mostly mail order it, as I do with my ammo and almost everything else firearms related...