pigeon shooting

lurcher21

same question for me too please with a lanber field.... (sorry to highjack your thread lurch, i was hoping your thread would have some answers for me too.... guess were both in the same boat pal!!!)

if any suggestions are made,please state with choke in top and which choke in bottom(barrel)

thanks....

There are many threads on this subject and you would find it useful to use the Search facility and read a few of them.

When decoying I use 1/4 choke and 30gm No6 shot, when roost shooting, or taking birds at a greater distance I use 1/2 choke and the same cartridges.

Personal choice and distance you have the decoys from the hide dictate the shot ranges. I used cylinder and 1/4 on my side by side. With correctly placed pattern it would kill cleanly to 30m (cylinder) and 50m (1/4) with 30g of 6 shot. I now use an auto with 1/2 choke in which does me to 50m very consistantly and never feel I would need more but they do get a bit mashed up within 20m with correct pattern placement (which I didn't get with cyl and 1/4).

I would think ideally 1/4 and 1/2 but its down to catridges too and the way they pattern in your gun.

Start with 1/4 with 30g or 32g and if you feel its not killing cleanly move to 1/2. In the O/U I'd have 1/4 and 1/2.

Enjoy

Si

i thought it best for me to buy multi choke as i wasnt sure what id prefer as a new shooter.....

the chokes that come with my lanber have some markings on them, not sure what the indications mean yet... it doesnt say 1/4..1/2 etc as i expected???

i wished id got fixed chokes as once i removed them they look like something else to clean or go wrongwith the gun to be honest,threads and all....

when people say cylinder, would that be my barrel with no choke in it ? wouldnt that stripp the thread out of the end of the barrel ??

stupid question i know, but i have to ask,,,

Myzeneye - DON'T shoot without a choke in - It'll ****** your barrel and the thread for the chokes - I have a lanber too and agree that the choke markings don't make much sense - Stick your little finger in em (bottom end) and then match em up in order of size - Cylinder will be the fattest, going up to improved cylinder, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full choke will be the tightest (They may have notches on the top which can help you out).

To be honest, i have faffed about with them all over the place and have settled on 1/4 and 1/2, just because that seems to be the norm - Can't say that they have really had much noticable impact on my shooting.