steel for game

I used a lot of homeloaded steel loads for pheasant shooting last year,the performed fantasticly well as they did on the ducks i shot as well as the partridges, the hares,rabbits and everything else i shot last year.

why wouldn't it be sporting?

Kenzie

oh kenzies carts are powerfull enough last time i saw him he gave me some to try on pigeons the gent that he is not much pigeon left after they went through my sxs full choke safe to say i never eat the pigeons i shot with them. good hard hitting carts

Well it won't quite have the penetration that the same sized lead pellet would have. And it will have a plastic wad as well. And I would imagine if someone can afford game shooting then they can afford lead cartridges.

FM :blink:

:good:

And be careful if you're going to eat what you shoot <_< .

Sparkie, take care - steel through full chokes is normally considered a big no-no. Most people seem to say half at most.

Robert

you would want to be sure that each shot is up in the air as steel isnt a good idea in woodland

if it can bounce off a clay and hit someone im sure branchs would do the same

Steel shot bouncing off a clay and hitting someone??? where was this?

I was told recently that lead is a no no on certified organic land, a lot of big estates are going that way so I wonder if that is a reason behind it. I know I have personally put down pounds and pounds of lead on the land I shoot and it is toxic stuff. I wonder if this is the reason. Anyone know if the no lead on organics is true?

It can happen. My dad was on a shoot when a fox appeared. The game keeper told one of the pegs to shoot it as there was no danger to the beaters or dogs so he did. He got a richocett from the wire fence behind the fox which him in the forehead an inch or two above the eye. Didn't do any real damage but if it had just been that little bit lower it could have done.

And I'm pretty sure he was using lead as well so if it can happen with lead it can happen with steel.

• 3 weeks later...
you would want to be sure that each shot is up in the air as steel isnt a good idea in woodland

if it can bounce off a clay and hit someone im sure branchs would do the same

Steel shot bouncing off a clay and hitting someone??? where was this?

This actually happened, at the North of England CTC near York. Someone shot the low bird from station 7 on the skeet and the shot ricocheted off onto the adjacent DTL layout. It has since been banned.