TV recording options

Dunkield

I would like a kind off Sky+ setup but without the subscription, so what are my options?

Background info:

We live in a Freeview free zone, so we have Freesat from Sky and a DVD recorder

I would like to retain DVD playback, but not fussed about loosing the record option.

Are there any (cheap) options for direct hard disk recording?

I have got a Philips HDD recorder which was only about 100 quid, it has a 160GB hard drive and works in the same way as sky + you get about 30 hours recording from what I remember and you can transfer the recordings on to DVD if you want to keep them.

A friend of mine has his PC connected up to his tv and music system but I have no idea what that costs or how you do it.

Stuart, when I ordered m BT contract in Jan, it was free as part of the 3rd option package. As we can not receive free view as yet, we didn't apply for it. However the salesman did say it would be available free of charge as soon as we want it.

Yes, I don't fancy giving BT any more money, or Sky any at all - so I will look at the Philips one unless anyone has any better ideas?

I use a Phillips Dvd recorder in the bedroom and it plays Divx. I put 6 films on a dvd. Plenty of viewing hours

Payed about £130 from Tesco for the dvd. Think it was reduced from £170

Jonno

hey, if you wait a mouth or two, you can get the new 'FREESAT' pvr that's coming out..

PVR = Personal video recorder..

its nothing to do with sky..

BBC and ITV have come together and started a new service, works from astra 2 satellite, so it'll work from your existing dish, and along the same lines as sky plus to use, but no monthly bills, boxes are around 120/150 depending on make and specs..

very good system this, I already have about 20 people waiting for me to fit it for them..

Hope this helps, matt..

Yeh as mentioned the freesat PVR is your best bet, but no promises when is out, ive not been given a date for when im getting stock yet. (late summer we are now being told)

Bare in mind this PVR will almost certainly require twin LNB, if its a twin tuner setup (which it probably will be). So if you only have one feed coming from your dish currently you will want a twin LNB fitting. Easy enough job to do yourself i am told. What you could do also is install a Quad LNB and then run a feed into another room and use the old sky box on a different TV, it will remain independent and you can naturally enough watch what ever you want.

the pvr boxes will have all series link options to record, twin tuners and a 8 day EPG (electronic programme guide)..

its up to you on how many boxes you wanna run from one dish if you go down the freesat route, the twin LNB's are real pants, the four output LNB (quad) are your best bet, or even a octo (8) output if you want even more..

if you don't/can't run another cable to your setup, a stacker/de-stacker will allow you both feeds tho single cable drop, you'll still need a quad tho..

if you need any parts drop me a pm, i'll get you 99.9% of parts cheaper than any trade counter...

matt..

• 5 months later...

The BT vision box was free originally because there were no subscription packages you just paid extra for any of the on demand stuff.

Now they try and offer you a subscription package bronze gold etc but you may be able to get it without a package if you ask them, it is worth a try as you get the 200 quid box free.