Reloading .223,is it worth it ??

I have just used the last of my N133 and having kept a record 1kg of this powder yeilded [u]639 bullets [/u].

1 kg Vit N133 £48

100 x 50 grn V max bullet heads £19

100 x primers £3.95

Reused federal brass £0.00 (Although I was getting good results I still purchased some Lapua :good: )

You do the maths :good:

Excluding the cost of my Lee anniversary set £89 and digital scales £30 I would say it's very much worth it especially if you enjoy this type of thing .

:good::good:

No

:unsure: :hmm:???

Are you on any medication at this time Stuart :hmm:

Apart from the normal, no ;)

I didn't have time to explain then I do now.

The question is "is it worth it"

If thats means from a financial point of view, no it isn't worth it, unless you shoot hundreds of rounds a month.

If that means from a satisfaction or accuracy point of view then yes it is definitely worth it.

I packed in reloading when I worked out what it was costing me, not just in equipment terms (which is always way higher than you think it is) but in time going to the range, range fees etc.

You need to shoot loads of rounds for reloading to be finacially viable, and the reason I was shooting so many rounds was beacause I was load testing - so it was catch 22

Both of my centrefires shoot factory ammo well, so for me at least, there didn't seem any point in carrying on.

I don't miss the time and cost of driving round the country trying to find components (this was at the time they all dried up)

I don't miss the thought of each shot fired thinking when I get home I have to resized that, clean that, de-prime, re-prime it, fill that, etc etc - I just chuck the empties in the bin.

But I do miss the satisfaction of when it all comes togther.

Reading this takes me back to the 1980s when I was in a club that shot all kinds of repro weapons and most of the guys were reloading 45/70 with black powder and home cast bullets. That kind of shooting was so much fun and interesting to a dabbler like me, although I only ever reloaded .303, and even then I only made about hundred and used a tiny Lee hand tool. It was probably a bit dangerous I always thought as I tapped in the bullet onto a primed and loaded case.

Edited by Evilv

No

:unsure: :hmm:???

Are you on any medication at this time Stuart :hmm:

Apart from the normal, no ;)

I didn't have time to explain then I do now.

The question is "is it worth it"

If thats means from a financial point of view, no it isn't worth it, unless you shoot hundreds of rounds a month.

If that means from a satisfaction or accuracy point of view then yes it is definitely worth it.

I packed in reloading when I worked out what it was costing me, not just in equipment terms (which is always way higher than you think it is) but in time going to the range, range fees etc.

You need to shoot loads of rounds for reloading to be finacially viable, and the reason I was shooting so many rounds was beacause I was load testing - so it was catch 22

Both of my centrefires shoot factory ammo well, so for me at least, there didn't seem any point in carrying on.

I don't miss the time and cost of driving round the country trying to find components (this was at the time they all dried up)

I don't miss the thought of each shot fired thinking when I get home I have to resized that, clean that, de-prime, re-prime it, fill that, etc etc - I just chuck the empties in the bin.

But I do miss the satisfaction of when it all comes togther.

Gis your empties you tightwad

what difference does it make if you reload hundreds of rounds compared to 50 rounds, there is a fixed cost per round loaded and its a lot cheaper than decent factory ammo.

what difference does it make if you reload hundreds of rounds compared to 50 rounds, there is a fixed cost per round loaded and its a lot cheaper than decent factory ammo.

What a daft statement, if I was tight I would sell them, if you weren't tight you would buy them from me :unsure:

I have given hundreds of empies away to people on here, but as I use AE's most people can't be bothered to sort out the primer pocket.

The cost per round is fixed, but the cost of kit has to factored in, so in fact the cost per round goes down the more you reload - if you think about it . .

What a daft statement, if I was tight I would sell them, if you weren't tight you would buy them from me :unsure:

I have given hundreds of empies away to people on here, but as I use AE's most people can't be bothered to sort out the primer pocket.

The cost per round is fixed, but the cost of kit has to factored in, so in fact the cost per round goes down the more you reload - if you think about it . .

Apologies i thought you said you threw them in the bin :hmm:

and your right i havnt thought about it ive worked it out and it is cheaper, initial outlay soon pays for itself.

Apologies i thought you said you threw them in the bin :unsure:

and your right i havnt thought about it ive worked it out and it is cheaper, initial outlay soon pays for itself.

I do and I give them away :hmm:???

Initial outlay could be anything for everything could be up to £300 and well beyond, depending what you buy of course

You would need to shoot a lot to get that back 'soon'

Ok, nobody is going to do the maths, so;

1 lb Varget £38-00

100 BR primers 3-30

100 Nosler 50g BT 29-00

27 g of Varget = £0.14 each round = 1.40/100

Total cost of 100 rounds = £33.70 = 34p per shot, to keep life simple.

Using Remington 50g PSP bullets at £14.60/100, this could be reduced to £19.30/100. = 19p per shot.

Reminton Factory loaded 50g Accu-tip is listed at £111/100 = £1-11p per shot.

However, this morning's muntjac cost, 34p.

As Stuart pointed out, the cost of equipment has to be included. One month ago I purchased a Lyman 1200DPS3 powder measure for over £200. So I guess you could say that my shot this morning cost £200-34p and future shots will be 34p.

It will take a long time to recover the costs of reloading equipment, based on the above figures, saving 77p per shot (34p v £1.11p), it will take 260 plus shots before my DPS is paid for.

Before anyone says that the prices for primers etc are over or under what they are paying, those are the importers RRP. If you are paying more, shop around. If you are paying less, so am I!

Out of interest where do you shop for your reloading gear Magman? I've only really had call to head to Minsterley, but it would be nice to shop around a bit.

A friend became a RFD and now supplies a few clubs so i get everything of him .

About 15 mins from Chester but only 10 mins from me , if you would like me to introduce you then send me a pm :unsure:

None of this was a dig at reloading, I enjoyed the actual reloading bit I just got bored of the range time.

Incidentally I tie a few flies, but I never claim it is cheaper than buying them from shops, it isn't.

Again unless you tie hundreds maybe even thousands they are more expensive when you factor in equipment and materials etc.

But I still do it, and I still enjoy catching fish on my own patterns.

Ok, nobody is going to do the maths, so;

1 lb Varget £38-00

100 BR primers 3-30

100 Nosler 50g BT 29-00

27 g of Varget = £0.14 each round = 1.40/100

Total cost of 100 rounds = £33.70 = 34p per shot, to keep life simple.

Ive done the maths but included the cost of the cases aswell,

i can easily shoot 200 rounds per day on the range so it is well worth it for myself and have yet to find

a factory round as accurate as some homeloads.

bob,

ill give you 35p for it,

ive only ever seen one muntjac in my neck of the woods, when it caught my eye i thought it was a hare

at first but ive never seen any since.

i'd love to try one somebody told me they taste a bit like pork is this correct?

bob,

ill give you 35p for it,

ive only ever seen one muntjac in my neck of the woods, when it caught my eye i thought it was a hare

at first but ive never seen any since.

i'd love to try one somebody told me they taste a bit like pork is this correct?

No way, they are venison pure and simple, and one of the best tasting in my opinion. Lovely little animals, and not too heavy to carry either!

I like to reload for the satisfaction of making my own ammo . I now only load .308 ,but was into several pistol calibres in the old days and concidered reloading to be part of the hobby of shooting . Reloading ammo was all ways cheaper than factory loads .But if it wasent cheaper i would proberbly still roll my own because i like to do it . Do we have to put a price on everything . Harnser .