Reloading .223,is it worth it ??

No.

I have wasted thousands of pounds on hobbies over the years and I sure most other people have too if they are honest, it's hard to have fun for nothing :unsure:

But the original question, all the way back up the top was "Reloading .223, is it worth it, a cost comparison" no mention of satisfaction or accuracy, and that was the question I was answering.

I do and I give them away :hmm:???

Initial outlay could be anything for everything could be up to £300 and well beyond, depending what you buy of course

You would need to shoot a lot to get that back 'soon'

My kit didn't cost me anywhere near that much (thanks for giving up and selling me yours :unsure: )

Maybe if you splashed out on some decent cases you wouldn't have spent so long "load testing" to find a good one?

On a more serious note, reloading is quite a challenge. I've been lucky with the .223 and started out with a recommended load which happened to shoot great in my rifle. The 6.5x55 however was a right pain, and it took me months to find a decent load for it!

Stuart - there are some Federal premium 140grn softpoints coming your way. My 6.5x55 didn't like them and I had half a box left. I hear your gun likes them :hmm:

There you go, 34p's worth from this morning;

post-1705-1216734147.jpg

Well done Bob but do you have to rub it in as we have no Deer around here at all :unsure:

I see you have no mod on the rifle in the pic :hmm: I no alot of stalker's don't think it's worth carring the extra wieght :hmm:

Ps , i will give you a pound posted ???;)

First class mind :hmm:

I like to reload for the satisfaction of making my own ammo . I now only load .308 ,but was into several pistol calibres in the old days and concidered reloading to be part of the hobby of shooting . Reloading ammo was all ways cheaper than factory loads .But if it wasent cheaper i would proberbly still roll my own because i like to do it . Do we have to put a price on everything . Harnser .

Spot on :unsure:

However I do see where stuart is coming from as i too get excellant results using American eagle and at £8.00 per box it's hard to justify the extra expense ..BUT!!!!

...watching my 2 daughters argue whose turn is it to weigh out the powder ........PRICELESS!! :hmm:

PS

Nice deer Bob ..............I was stuck at work today you jammy sod ! ???

So, to sum up, the consensus seems to be ; If you do a lot of shooting, it's worth it. As I use my 223 for rabbits mostly, it's worth it.

Those of you who want a piece of the deer in the pic, come to Bisley, Martin is making it into sausages or burgers.

They taste lovely in venison and chestnut caserole :yp:

Come on then Stuart, you've got me salivary glands dripping, what's the recipe? It's gonna have to be tinned chessy's, or puree, for obvious reasons, where ist?

Tinned I believe, I only eat it, I don't make it :lol:

I'll ask when I get home.

So, to sum up, the consensus seems to be ; If you do a lot of shooting, it's worth it. As I use my 223 for rabbits mostly, it's worth it.

Those of you who want a piece of the deer in the pic, come to Bisley, Martin is making it into sausages or burgers.

Is there anything left of the rabbits after? Thought it was more of a fox/roe round? :yp:

Is there anything left of the rabbits after? Thought it was more of a fox/roe round? :yp:

That's an interesting question since even with the lowly Stingers, rabbits are pretty well blown up at under 70 yards. Shot some young 'uns the other day at about 50 yards and just aimed at the middle of them. They were blown up with excrement all over the shop - burst right open. I didn't even pick them up they were such a mess.

Of course the other thing about the 223 is that apart from its power, it is more or less a flat shooter to way out ranges. After experiencing rabbit shooting with an an air rifle a couple of years back, that is such a luxury.

Edited by Evilv

Is there anything left of the rabbits after? Thought it was more of a fox/roe round? :lol:

Depends why you are shooting them, if you want to eat them, shoot them in the head, otherwise vapourise them, dead is dead innit? Loadsa fun vapourising bunnies at 250 + yards! :yp:

plus most farmers are happy to see a rabbit get vapourised :yp:

I just had the misfortune of having a farmer and his wife standing over me while I shot at five rabbits this afternoon. Boody awful pressure that. There I am chatting politely near their door after a good afternoon, and she says, 'Look at them (pointing at troop of bunnies sitting about sixty yards off in the sunshine) Go on, get them.'

Reluctantly, I loaded the rifle and had to perform with their cheers and then their boos when the pressure got to me, and I missed a couple of shots.

'That's not supposed to happen,' shouts the farmer, 'It's running away'.

Cringe....

plus most farmers are happy to see a rabbit get vapourised :lol:

I just had the misfortune of having a farmer and his wife standing over me while I shot at five rabbits this afternoon. Boody awful pressure that. There I am chatting politely near their door after a good afternoon, and she says, 'Look at them (pointing at troop of bunnies sitting about sixty yards off in the sunshine) Go on, get them.'

Reluctantly, I loaded the rifle and had to perform with their cheers and then their boos when the pressure got to me, and I missed a couple of shots.

Cringe....

Some day evil I'll relate my story about the dead lamb bait, Fox and audience in the sheep pen where I was staked out ??? :blink: :sad1::cry1:

:yp:

plus most farmers are happy to see a rabbit get vapourised :lol:

Cringe....

Some day evil I'll relate my story about the dead lamb bait, Fox and audience in the sheep pen where I was staked out ??? :blink: :sad1::cry1:

:yp:

That would be a worse pressure, since there is something at stake there if you missed it and scared it off.

They taste lovely in venison and chestnut caserole :yp:

Come on then Stuart, you've got me salivary glands dripping, what's the recipe? It's gonna have to be tinned chessy's, or puree, for obvious reasons, where ist?

Bob, I put it here to stop you de-railing Ive's thread any more :lol:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...c=64567&hl=