window security - any idea's?

myzeneye

we had a burgalry in the street this week, poor old guy and his disabled wife.... b@stards told him they were gonna slit his throat !!! he clobbered one with a length of timber he kept at the side of the bed and the other two fled...coppers were out in the chopper the lot, but they got the clobbered one anyhoo.....

anyway, it got me thinking, our house is in a quiet secluded spot on the bridgwater canal and because were out the way a bit, and a bungalow, i wanted to step up the security on the place..... house is alarmed but i want some kind of locks so that i can have the (pvc)windows open at night, yet them be locked somehow as they are sash's....

its not that i feel vunerable, god help anyone who got in here, but id sleep a little easier with my three year old sons window open a jar but still secure.... its a warm night tonight and i want them open....

ive looked on ebay but can only find locks which secure the window in a closed position.... does anyone know of anything on the market which will allow me to open them a jar and lock them too ?

(they do already have the little latches which stop them opening but they're only flimsy and not realy locks...)

no suggestions of bars please !!!

Edited by myzeneye

I hope the old couple are ok . its not nice.

i had the intruder climb though my bedroom window When i lived in the bungalow. Its something you dont get over very quicky. And till they caught him (which they did)Every male i met .friend or stranger i treated as a suspect.

could you not get a chain for the window. also could you not make it harder for them to get near the windows .One of those nasty pricky hedges. or put something in the window that would make a noise if someone try to get in .

xxxxsuzy

I hope the old couple are ok . its not nice.

i had the intruder climb though my bedroom window When i lived in the bungalow. Its something you dont get over very quicky. And till they caught him (which they did)Every male i met .friend or stranger i treated as a suspect.

could you not get a chain for the window. also could you not make it harder for them to get near the windows .One of those nasty pricky hedges. or put something in the window that would make a noise if someone try to get in .

xxxxsuzy

think they're ok, but i doubt they'll ever get over it.... dont think id sleep right again either.....

got prickily hedges at the front of house, but our bedroom window is actually a pair of french doors..... very nice in the morning, but i dont think i could sleep wih them open at night for obvious reasons.... we have a window in the on sweet which is open a jar, but with it being a bungalow your just paranoid... however, its mostly for my sons room....as obviosly im not in that room at night ....

just as well my cabinets in the loft or id be sleeping with my shotty next to the bed !!! maybe some empty carts strewn across the lawn will help deter them....!!!

Unfortunately a 'good' burglar will get in whatever security measures you take. Fortunately most break- ins are done by chancers looking for a quick buck and will be detered if they're slowed down when trying to get in, and will move on to the next 'opportunity'.

Have you spoken to your local Crime Prevention Officer? He'll have been asked about window locks etc. loads of times and can probably point you in the right direction. Could save you hours of legwork. He should be contactable through your local police station.

Im with poontang, speak with your local crime prevention officer or make use of your local PCSO. also, rather than taking advice off here, try a reputable double glazing firm in your area - they will also be able to offer good advice on the latest security products I expect.

I've been burgled twice over the years even though I have a pukka alarm system but since I have installed very prominent CCTV (inexpensive) my house seems to be on the 'do not disturb list' and they target my neighbours instead. Strange though; some of my neighbours don't like my CCTV system even though it only covers my own property. I wonder some just what some of them have to hide that they are so neurotic or was it one of them who did my house in the first place. I must admit I have my suspicions. The one I have my doubts about acquired a brand new wrought iron garden suite at exactly at the same my mate in a neighbouring street (the properties back onto each other) 'lost' his! I secret mark ALL my gear now just in case I do have to prove something is mine. The price of living in the Salford area, not to put down all Salfordians as I live there myself but, by heck, we seem to have more than our fair share of scrotes. :yes:

Edited by Biffo1262

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/WINDOW-RESTRICTOR-CH...p3286.m14.l1318

how secure do you think two of these would be, one top one bottom :yes:

they would'nt work, are your windows sliding sash

no , maybe ive got it wrong calling it a sash....its not the old type sliding sash like in my mums house, its a normal opener, hinged on one side, lock handle on the other side in the middle.... standard type..... easy to climb through !!!

I've been burgled twice over the years even though I have a pukka alarm system but since I have installed very prominent CCTV (inexpensive) my house seems to be on the 'do not disturb list' and they target my neighbours instead. Strange though; some of my neighbours don't like my CCTV system even though it only covers my own property. I wonder some just what some of them have to hide that they are so neurotic or was it one of them who did my house in the first place. I must admit I have my suspicions. The one I have my doubts about acquired a brand new wrought iron garden suite at exactly at the same my mate in a neighbouring street (the properties back onto each other) 'lost' his! I secret mark ALL my gear now just in case I do have to prove something is mine. The price of living in the Salford area, not to put down all Salfordians as I live there myself but, by heck, we seem to have more than our fair share of scrotes. :yes:

like you said mate, scrotes.........im in runcorn, we have plenty here too !!!

So right i'm looking for a house in rumcorn by the canal in a secluded spot with prickily hedges at the front of house

Note the alarm and that the french doors lead into the main bedroom. Otherwise were looking for normal opening windows, hinged on one side, lock handle on the other side in the middle easy to climb through apparently

The window in the en-suite is normally left open a jar, cabinet is in the loft and the dog won't be a problem either.

:/

If a burgler wants to get in they will but you got to make them think twice.

There is an alternative to a dog and thats an electronic device that when activated by an intrusion on the outside gate or something its activates a speaker which sounds like an aggressive dog.

Or if they do get in make sure they leave with something on them and thats ultraviolet chemical thats stays on there hands for days.

CCTV camara