Scopes

bullet boy

`i think the pros know what they are talking about `relates to me asking the staff at Sportsmans in which quality optic they thought was best for low light,night time shooting.As i said i firstly looked through a Zeiss and thought they were good.Sportsmans advised me that a Schmidt was what i needed!If Schmidts were not as good as a Zeiss then do you think the british armed forces would have them?

The 6 x 42 S&B used by British forces is not the best tool for snipers, any more than the SA80 is for the others. The American forces, who equip their troops better than we do, use Leupold or Zeiss scopes.

I was under the impression that you meant a pro shooter, not a pro salesman. Profit margins play a part here.

Looking through a scope, any make of scope, in a shop is not a good way to get an idea of a scopes performance, I would advise anybody thinking of spending the sort of money that we are talking about to find someone who owns the scope that they are thinking of buying and looking through it under field conditions. It's a big decision whichever make that you decide upon.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bob took the sound advice of a member of staff at arguably the best gun store in the land.I chose a Schmidt over a Zeiss simply because they said it was a better scope for my needs.As for the army`s use they use a PMII.The next time i go to Sportsmans i will have another look through a Zeiss-just for you bob300w. :lol:

I had LV buy me the most expensive Zeis scope he could lay his hands on went he last went to Florida (Jan this year) and visited the Bass pro shop and when it was $2 to £1.

Basspro ontly do the Conquest range according to their site.

they had some of the other ones in the bargain bucket :lol:

All Zeiss Conquests are assembled by Meopta in Czechoslovakia, using Meopta glass. The German-made Zeiss use Zeiss glass.

Fister - IOR Valdada seems to be the only brand that shouts about using Schott glass.

Bob, the US Marine Corps snipers use PMIIs, the US Army snipers uses Leupold. I don't think the US forces use Zeiss any more.

I bob took the sound advice of a member of staff at arguably the best gun store in the land.I chose a Schmidt over a Zeiss simply because they said it was a better scope for my needs.As for the army`s use they use a PMII.The next time i go to Sportsmans i will have another look through a Zeiss-just for you bob300w. :lol:

The advice was probably based on the profit margin :lol:

As for the best gun store in the land, it may be the biggest but that doesn't make it the best.

I had a S+B 8x56 on my .243. The light transmission was superb, but foxes heads disappear behind the reticle at anything approaching 200yds.

I also had a Swaro 8x56 at the same time. Optically, I would say they were just about identical. I prefered the eye relief on the S+B. I also prefered the styling of the S+B. The Swaro was more modern looking, but I don't think the build quality is quite as good. I would say the S+B would stand more knocks than the Swaro.

I sold them both and bought a Nightforce NXS. The reticle is superb and I don't have any problems seeing what I am looking for when foxing or stalking. I am sure someone will now slag Nightforce off. I paid US, not UK price for it and it is worth every cent I paid for it. :lol:

Too many people form opinions on things on the basis of an article they have read, or just plain hearsay. As some of the more knowledgable members have already pointed out, if you haven't done comparison tests in both daylight and darkness, your opinion is worth ****** all. :good:

Hodmedod,Whats Nightforce like for night time shooting?

Mine is the 8-32x56 NXS. I have it set on 8x, locate the target and then zoom in if I have to. You can see the image getting darker as the magnification increases, but you will get that irrespective of what make of scope you are using.

The reticle is very fine (mine is the NP-R2) which is one of the main reasons I bought it. If I am looking towards a very dark background I just turn on the illumination.

Hodmedod,Whats Nightforce like for night time shooting?

Mine is the 8-32x56 NXS. I have it set on 8x, locate the target and then zoom in if I have to. You can see the image getting darker as the magnification increases, but you will get that irrespective of what make of scope you are using.

The reticle is very fine (mine is the NP-R2) which is one of the main reasons I bought it. If I am looking towards a very dark background I just turn on the illumination.

Do you find that you use the high-end magnification a great deal? Like yourself, I leave the magnification on my 3-12 set on 8, the only time that I wind it up is on long range crows and magpies.

Nightforce are impressive scopes, I was zeroing a 25-06 rifle fitted with an 8-32 x 56 only last week, the clarity is exceptional, the three foot field of view at 100 yards when on 32 is a tad restrictive for sporting use though! It would have been interesting to do a comparison at dusk with a Zeiss, but time was against me.

Do you find that you use the high-end magnification a great deal? Like yourself, I leave the magnification on my 3-12 set on 8, the only time that I wind it up is on long range crows and magpies.

Nightforce are impressive scopes, I was zeroing a 25-06 rifle fitted with an 8-32 x 56 only last week, the clarity is exceptional, the three foot field of view at 100 yards when on 32 is a tad restrictive for sporting use though! It would have been interesting to do a comparison at dusk with a Zeiss, but time was against me.

When I had the 8x56 S+B on my .243, I never felt like I needed less magnification. I regularly wished I had greater magnification.

Several people recommended that I go for the 5.5-22x56 Nightforce but I couldn't see the point in buying something with a low end mag range that I would never use.

I always set the scope to x8 to acquire a target. I then simply zoom in until it "looks right" and take the shot. On the occasions that I bother to read what I had zoomed in to, it is normally in the 15-25 range.

The 32x is great for long range hares. They are beautiful animals but they are so prolific around here that they do almost as much damage as the rabbits so have to be thinned out.

When I had the 8x56 S+B on my .243, I never felt like I needed less magnification. I regularly wished I had greater magnification.

Several people recommended that I go for the 5.5-22x56 Nightforce but I couldn't see the point in buying something with a low end mag range that I would never use.

I always set the scope to x8 to acquire a target. I then simply zoom in until it "looks right" and take the shot. On the occasions that I bother to read what I had zoomed in to, it is normally in the 15-25 range.

The 32x is great for long range hares. They are beautiful animals but they are so prolific around here that they do almost as much damage as the rabbits so have to be thinned out.

I must admit that it's only in very bad light conditions that I go below 8x, the problem that I find with continually changing the X is that it makes it difficult to estimate range.

We have the same problem with hares in this area, I shot 14 on a 40 acre field in an hour and a half last year. We also keep their numbers low to avoid the attentions of the coursing gangs.

`i think the pros know what they are talking about `relates to me asking the staff at Sportsmans in which quality optic they thought was best for low light,night time shooting.As i said i firstly looked through a Zeiss and thought they were good.Sportsmans advised me that a Schmidt was what i needed!If Schmidts were not as good as a Zeiss then do you think the british armed forces would have them?

The 6 x 42 S&B used by British forces is not the best tool for snipers, any more than the SA80 is for the others. The American forces, who equip their troops better than we do, use Leupold or Zeiss scopes.

I was under the impression that you meant a pro shooter, not a pro salesman. Profit margins play a part here.

Looking through a scope, any make of scope, in a shop is not a good way to get an idea of a scopes performance, I would advise anybody thinking of spending the sort of money that we are talking about to find someone who owns the scope that they are thinking of buying and looking through it under field conditions. It's a big decision whichever make that you decide upon.

The British Army are using PMII 4-16x50 on the L96(7.62) Now as although the 6x42 is a good scope it is better for hunting than tachtical work. The L115A3(338 Lap Mag) that is widely replacing the L96 is being toped of by the PMII 5-25x56 both come with a full suite of 3rd gen night vision attachments that cost IRO 15K. The SA80 A2 is as reliable an assault rifle that you can get at the moment proving its self against the M16 and it's derivatives and proving to be atleast the equal of the G 36 which is internaly not that differant.

I have recently heard that opticaly the New IOR scopes are the Equal of the S&B althogh mechanicaly and astheticaly perhaps not quite as good but they come in at a lot less money, might be worth a look.

Dave

Edited by Devilishdave

The British Army are using PMII 4-16x50 on the L96(7.62) Now as although the 6x42 is a good scope it is better for hunting than tachtical work. The L115A3(338 Lap Mag) that is widely replacing the L96 is being toped of by the PMII 5-25x56 both come with a full suite of 3rd gen night vision attachments that cost IRO 15K. The SA80 A2 is as reliable an assault rifle that you can get at the moment proving its self against the M16 and it's derivatives and proving to be atleast the equal of the G 36 which is internaly not that differant.

I have recently heard that opticaly the New IOR scopes are the Equal of the S&B althogh mechanicaly and astheticaly perhaps not quite as good but they come in at a lot less money, might be worth a look.

Dave

They certainly get a good write up from this chap; http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/IOR...2_TactScope.asp

One to watch methinks.

I have a Schmidt and Bender 3-12x50 ill ret scope and i would say that this scope manufacturer is the best scope maker. :hmm: The quality of glass is exceptional.If the British army use them-surely its gotta be good!

What do you think??

I have cheap scopes (Deben) on both my rimfire rifles simply because they are cheap tools and I could not see the point in spending a lot of money on decent galss.

That said, the Varmint II 6-24x44 on the .17 is not as nice to use (to my eyes at least!) as the 4-12x50 Sport HD that I have on the .22. Whether it is the field of view or the internal workings I do not know, but the next scope I get for the .17, _when_ the Varmint II annoys me enough, will probably be an MTC Viper.

Right, that's the skoda end of the scope done...

sorry to put an end to all this mumbo jumbo but its got to be a jsr 19x2xinfinity no if or buts about it :D:good::lol:

"sorry to put an end to all this mumbo jumbo but its got to be a jsr 19x2xinfinity no if or buts about it "

19x2xinfinity??? Do you know what a scope is?

I'll let somebody else explain it to you.

Dear old man ,sorry to see you have lost your sense of humour, and why keep having a dig at me, have i unbeknown to me upset you in some form.

Or is just that unlike you ,i do not really take this sport as serious as you. A gun is a gun ,a scope is a scope, for me bob300w , as long as it does the job i want it to then i am happy.