MINK

Do any of you guys have experience of Mink removal.

One of the farm hands told me he's seen a couple of Mink around a pond which is

only about 100 yards from one of my pheasant pens. With the poults due next week I need to act quickly

and get rid of these pests.

I was surprised to hear that he'd seen them because we have no rivers/streams on or near the land, just

a few ponds dotted around the place.

I have no experience with Mink, so could do with some advice from those who have experience.

Obviousely I'll be sat out waiting for them, but I also want to buy a couple of traps so could do with

first hand advice on which traps are most effective, where is best to site them etc etc.

All help much appreciated

build a tunnel at the side of the pond near to mink footings, make as natural as possible.

place a fenn mk6 trap half way along tunnel and block off one end.

between the trap and the blocked off end use a hazel stake and secure a rabbit head / leg or a piece of fish....KAPOOOOW!

check regularly.

Make a little mink fur hat out of them once you get them. You probally know but mink are crafty little *******, on saturday I saw one fool ten odd couple hounds of its whereabouts, and a couple of terriers! Good luck with sorting them out though, just do it as quickly as possible though, I've seen what they can do to a stretch of river. They'll pretty much wipe all the wildlife out. I sincerely hope you have them removed before those poults come though.

• 3 weeks later...

Not a mink, but last week I saw a polecat. Very rare animal in these parts, but it ran past me when I was lurking at the edge of a wood, jumped up onto a wall about fifteen metres away, looked at me full in the face for about five seconds and then ran into the wood hunting rabbits.

It was exactly marked like the photos of polecats with dark fur and creamy flashes on the muzzle and ears. Lovely animal to see, and since thee are no shooting estates within miles, but a glut of rabbits the like I have never seen, it will do some good and wipe out some conies.

Edited by Evilv

How'd you get on Browning?

Sorry John, I missed your post.....Yep, caught 5 of the critters, traps had been clear for 2 weeks so it looks like

the job is done. :stupid:

I've now move the traps again and am hitting the squirrels hard....much more effective than shooting so far.

Edited by Browning

How'd you get on Browning?

Sorry John, I missed your post.....Yep, caught 5 of the critters, traps had been clear for 2 weeks so it looks like

the job is done. :stupid:

I've now move the traps again and am hitting the squirrels hard....much more effective than shooting so far.

Good stuff :hmm: Had a speculative cage out myself but no catches. I'm going to switch to bodygrippers this year, cheaper and more effective. Getting more into trapping now actually, 12 magpies so far and plans in the works for hoodies :drool:

This is a couple of posts I put on another topic

I trap about 60/yr through my work with live traps. Ive tried every bait but best for me is a chunk of rabbit. Leave back of trap uncovered and cover sides and top with natural foliage or rubbish like silage bags that are laying around. This way the scent can get blown through the trap. Check as you may be able to get grant money to get a few traps as the gov is hot on getting rid of mink the now. My trap line is 30 traps moved weekly. I usually do it between Jan and May. If you catch a sow leave it as you will most likely have a boar the next day. The female scent must be too much for them. Set traps in "dirty" corners of the burn or river. They love rock armour as there is lots of places to hunt in the rocks. My record is 9 in a day and 15 for one week trapping. I dispatch with a .177 in the head.

Sometimes you dont even need bait at all. I caught 2 sows with bait in the trap. The second sow had eaten all the bait and I forgot my bait in the motor which was a long way away. The trap was really stinking of mink urine. I thought ahh what the heck Ill just reset the door. The next day I had a big silver boar.

I just dispose of them. They are real problem on the waterside. If anyone wants them just PM me and I can always start freezing the stinkin things.Trap as many as you can knowing that youre helping songbirds,ducks,voles and the like.

Edited by HaveToShoot