non toxic cartidges

all my quarry get respect, my lamber is not steel proofed so i cant use it, i dont know if it will take hevi shot,maybe be some one out there can advise,but before you go off on one and talk about respect find out a few more details first,thats what questions are all about

You asked about bismuth, not me.

How old is your Lanber? I'd be suprised if it isn't steel proofed.

If your gun isn't steel proofed then you have little option but go up a shot size and don't use small shot. It just won't do the job.

You asked about bismuth, not me.

How old is your Lanber? I'd be suprised if it isn't steel proofed.

If your gun isn't steel proofed then you have little option but go up a shot size and don't use small shot. It just won't do the job.

My Lanber wasn't steel proofed, i used Tungsten Matrix as as far as i could tell it was a damn close match performance wise to lead.

There are no deals on bismuth,

It is ****. Give your quarry some respect and use high performance steel or Hevi shot

Martin,

sorry if this is a dim question, but I've never used bismuth. Why is it so bad?

Robert

It just doesn't hit hard enough. I have watched birds carry on after being hit. At some quite short distances and all it seems to do is ruffle the feathers. I don't know if it is bismuth or Eley cartridges as I have always found them to be quite soft hitting.

It is ****. Give your quarry some respect and use high performance steel or Hevi shot

Martin,

Robert

Bismuth had a bad name when it first came out, it used to break up in the barrel, especially in big bore guns. Modern bismuth is fine, however the bad reputation hangs on, as reputations are want to do.

As Markio says, tungsten matrix is probably the best, but the price is scary.

Martin,

Robert

It just doesn't hit hard enough. I have watched birds carry on after being hit. At some quite short distances and all it seems to do is ruffle the feathers. I don't know if it is bismuth or Eley cartridges as I have always found them to be quite soft hitting.

i think you well find it is eley making there shells a bit low on the pressure side ive found by hand loading you can make them a bit hotter

with alot better results

I've used Eley Alphamax and Maximum bismuth to good effect , with very few runners. If I couldn't kill cleanly with it i'd stop pointing a gun with bismuth in the chamber. It works very well and is proven to have excellent ballistic qualities. Do you seriously think Eley would load it if it was ****?

I respect Martin's opinion ofcourse but his is experience is opposite to mine.

Edited by Whitebridges

Bismuth today is fine for ducks as long as you do not push your range too much. 40 - 45 yards is quite far enough. It is a hell of a lot better than standard steel , but not up to tungsten. Hovever in big shot sizes such as BB bismuth not up to the job for geese unless you are close. I used it on pink feet the season before last with very dissapointing results ( it was the only non toxic goose load available in my area at the time ). I have never see an offer on bismuth shells , but if you nip around to your gunshop quick you may be able to pick some up before this years stock comes in at the start of the season and its enevitable pirce rise.

31 gr hevi shot should be ok in 2 3\4 chambers. Got some the other week at £13.50 for 10....ouch. But there is no doubt its the best shot available for long range birds , but I have had better results with 4s ( for geese ) and 5s ( for duck ) rather than bigger pellets.

According to the Ad blurb hevi shot 4s hit the same as 2s in lead and 5s are the same as 3s in lead so its got plenty of poke and plenty of shot for a good patten.

Edited by anser2

Most steel shot are totally enclosed by a plastic wad, so doesnt touch the barrels at all.

You are missing the point entirely, it has nothing to do with the shot cup, but the compressability of the shot and the speed it it sent down the barrels. Steel is hard and lead soft and as they go along the inside of the barrel in a shot cup, little if any shot, touches the barrel and in the area of the choke is the point where it starts to increase the pressures.

Basically you have a hard substance, usually 2-3 shot sizes bigger, being forced through an area that is constricted, so the pressures increase and in the case of steel it is high and so the choke is therefore recommended to be 1/2 or less.

Pattern also blows at this stage too.