Pump Action..

el-chimbo

For wildfowling the Benelli Super Nova is hard to beat. 3.5" chamber and made mostly of plastic so very little to rust or be affected by the salt water. Even handles reasonable well. Interestingly, in the US, home of the pump and where one can pick up a brand new Mossberg for the equivalent of about £100 in a corner supermarket, the best selling pump is the .....Super Nova.

Nick.

• 3 weeks later...

You`re probably right about that. I should have qualified it by saying "for use in the field". A great many domestic made pumps are sold in the US for "home defence" whereby the new owner puts a box or two of cartridges through them at the range to familiarise themselves with its operation, and never fires them again.

I`m blowed if I can remember the specifics but the Nova and SuperNova has been "gun of the year" with one of the US sales groups, an equivalent of the Gun Trade Association, for two years in succession.

A quick trawl of the many US gun and hunting forums will confirm how popular they are.

Nick.

You`re probably right about that. I should have qualified it by saying "for use in the field". A great many domestic made pumps are sold in the US for "home defence" whereby the new owner puts a box or two of cartridges through them at the range to familiarise themselves with its operation, and never fires them again.

I`m blowed if I can remember the specifics but the Nova and SuperNova has been "gun of the year" with one of the US sales groups, an equivalent of the Gun Trade Association, for two years in succession.

A quick trawl of the many US gun and hunting forums will confirm how popular they are.

Nick.

Im not saying it's not a popular gun, and I'm certainly not saying it's not a good gun - it is - but even try going onto an U.S gun forum and telling em its more popular than and 870 and you'll get lynched for heresy :look:

Me I'd buy one but I've already got a Mossberg and an M2, I can't really see the point. The Mossy gave me heaps of trouble when I first bought it, but after fixing the problem its been 100%.

• 3 years later...

The ultimate pump shotgun has to have been the Winchester 1897. So sorry that there are no nice copies made and available in the UK. That would be my tool of choice for practical shotgun.

My Winchester SXP has done well. Fits well, shoots fast and is very easy to disassemble into individual parts (a lot easier than my Mossburger) I like the bolt design on the Winchester. I HAVE had a few failure to extract when the gun is running very hot. Maybe it is justthe cheap ammo I put in (doubt it) but sometimes I slide the forend back and forward, semi chambering a new round and the old shell is still stuck in there. It takes an extra pump to clear it.

Mossberg seem easy to load, the absence of sprung shell lifter, but if you are not carefil the edges on the bolt slide will cut your thumb.

This is what makes the 1897 so good. It has a smooth shell lifter.

I have often considered finding out about the laws around manufacturing a shotgun from scratch and then getting a gunsmith to assemble, proof and register it.

For me to date i have havent found one as nice as my Mossburg 500c. Its 20g so nice and light to carry, very easy to clean and opperate seems well built and has never let me down. :good:

At first I wished it was a 12 but not anymore as 28-32g through a 20g is the same as 28/32g through a 12g.

I have a fresh spare space in my cabinet now to so am just trying to decide what to fill it with, part of me thinks i should have a sxs for the odd bit of game just so i have something to use if needs be, what am torn between is a second pump or semi-auto. Needless to say the mrs thinks am mad, although cant be to bad as she bought me the mossburg for an engagement pressent :good:

Well if we're bringing up an old thread I'll chip in too.

I've a Hatsan, I've only compared it to a Benelli, I'd actually rather have the Hatsan as it's lighter and feels better to me. I've not compared it to any others, but to be honest I fail to see what more you could want in a pump that the Hatsan hasn't got, apart from a fancy name.

One thing I like about it is all the comments about it being a Hatsan, then silence or often even comments about how tight and positive the action is when people actually have a go with it.

I have a fresh spare space in my cabinet now to so am just trying to decide what to fill it with, part of me thinks i should have a sxs for the odd bit of game just so i have something to use if needs be, what am torn between is a second pump or semi-auto.
How about something a little different - a lever-action?

Regards,

Mark.