Wind Direction and Hide Placement?

HaveToShoot

Hi All

When I turn up at the field for the days shooting I always hope that I can set up with either the wind from the sides or at my back. Ive had a problem when the wind is at my face and cant setup in a different place because of the field layout. The birds tend to flight right over the hide and spook. Now Im not moving at all, wear a face mask and gloves and lunch cartridges etc are always hidden in some grass or the like.

So my question is WHAT CAN I DO DIFFERENT so more birds commit to my decoys?

You can set the pattern either left or right of the hide(right if you like R-L shots and vice versa)as long as you sit facing right (or left) and don`t move until the bird is fully committed then they shouldn`t spook.

The reason they spook when coming over your head is that they will see you and especially when you start to move.

Im seeing them come from the side and bank behind. Once their in back of me I sit with gun tucked in and motionless. I cant see them flare because Im not looking but hear them with that wingbeat which picks up pace(as we probably all hate)The problem Im having now is Im limited to a laid patch and the field just doesnt lend itself to the prevailing winds here.

I am thinking about getting one of these Field Layout Blind

Edited by HaveToShoot

I was thinking of this as my duck hides back home ALL had a roof. If your hide was in a rectangle shape(looking down on it) would you cover say 1/2 with mesh?

I use 5 poles. form a square, on the forward facing side (as viewed from above) put the last pole central and foward towards the killing zone.

Roof the original square leaving the triangle at the front open :good:

Hope you have been working on your abdominal muscles !! I have used a layout blind a couple of times for pigeon and it is good for a 1/2 day out, but is hell if you are not used to sit ups. You also need to angle the deeks so you can swing properly ie. you will not be able to swing much to the right(if you are right handed), but left is a lot easier.

IMHO it is best for geese, where you will be more than happy with a bird or two, for a 100 bird day at the woodpigeon it will be hell.

Layout blind and pinkfeet

Edited by henry d

I was thinking of this as my duck hides back home ALL had a roof. If your hide was in a rectangle shape(looking down on it) would you cover say 1/2 with mesh?

I use 5 poles. form a square, on the forward facing side (as viewed from above) put the last pole central and foward towards the killing zone.

Roof the original square leaving the triangle at the front open :good:

This is what I do (if I have to have a roof), but I don't bring the roof quite so far forward as to the end of the "square".

The discipline is to chose your "killing zone" and ignore waving your gun, or moving, at birds outside that area.

I place my decoys well out into the field, with the closest one about 35 yards from the hide.

The idea is to leave room for the birds to come in from behind the hide and try to land at the back of the decoy layout.

You shoot them as they come in to land.

On a side issue, I have a very experienced pigeon shooter friend who calls birds that you don't get a shot at, "twenty minute birds".

If you leave it alone, don't wave the gun at it, or fire a speculative shot, the bird will probably return to the layout within 20 minutes.

There is no scientific proof this works, but I do like the principle and it makes it easier to let birds like that fly on. :yes:

Im seeing them come from the side and bank behind. Once their in back of me I sit with gun tucked in and motionless. I cant see them flare because Im not looking but hear them with that wingbeat which picks up pace(as we probably all hate)The problem Im having now is Im limited to a laid patch and the field just doesnt lend itself to the prevailing winds here.

Would you have to order that from the USA or does anyone know where you could buy them in the UK ?