Here's one for the ferret keepers on here

tuck1

Here's one for the ferret keepers on here. I have currently got a young hob, one of this years, and I'm having quite a time gentling him down. He's nippy, to say the least, but it's all play really, nothing new there. He doesn't seem to be growing out of it though, and as I'm going on my hols in a week's time, and leaving him with a complete ferret novice, this worries me a little. He dances round the garden, back arched, chattering away, given the chance, and lunges at any hand put near him. Again, nothing much new there, I've had ferrets before which do this, no problem. Thing is, this lad seems to mean it. When I handle him, now and again he latches on like a good'un, wrists, fingers, anything, and shakes like a terrier with a rat.He hasn't drawn blood yet, but as he gets bigger and stronger it's only a matter of time. He's well grown now, and I worry that this young lad will have a bad experience with him, and be tooscared to handle him, something I can't afford to happen.

I've tried all the usual, knuckle in the mouth, nose flicking and scruffing (not my usual style but I'm getting desperate) none of it seems to be working. I handle him well fed, and he's as rough as hell when he plays with the two jills he lives with. I think he's trying to show me who's the boss!

I'd welcome any suggestions please, this is preying on my mind a bit, I don't want to put a young lad off ferrets for life, and I'm short of options where I can leave him for my holidays. Help!

Tuck,

I have seen the replies you have had on another site that you have posted about this problem on. My advice to you would be to get another cage for the ferret, for the time that you are on holiday. That way he can be kept in isolation and can be fed without the young boy coming to any harm.

Failing that, you can dig a pit exactly 2ft deep and exactly 18" square and bury him in it.

Tuck,

Even though I have kept ferrets for over 40 years. I am not that well up on ferret psychology, to be honest I don't think that there are many people that are. Those that do know are keeping quiet.

I can only guess at the cause of the ferret’s temperament, (if anyone knows for certain please let me know) I would put it down to youthful exuberance. Add the fact that he is growing and does not know that (what he sees as playing) is over the top.

Ferrets are pretty basic creatures they seem to respond as how they are treated. i.e. Treated with kindness and sympathy they mostly respond by being quiet and biddable. However, treated with contempt and distain they seem to react the same. That said, there is always the odd one that no one seems to be able to do anything with.

The way I see it you have two choices either put him in a hutch on his own for the time that you are on holiday, and then give him a lot of time when you get home. Or euthanase the ferret now.

Tuck, I had two hobs from this years breeding and one of them is hostile. Once out of the cage and and handled it doesn't bite but if I put my hands into the run it acts like heat seeking missile.

I gave it to a #### last Sunday morning and I warned him that it was a bit keen so be carefull.

He put his hand into my carry box it latched onto his thumb :good::yes::hmm:

He swore and I laughed as he jumped about for a couple of seconds then he squeezed its ***** and the hob let go.

Never done this myself but I can sympathise with the ferret.

Like tiercel says you can always dig a hole and no one would blame you mate.

LB

Since posting this I've had a bit of a breakthrough tonight actually, brought him into the house for a play, after a few bits of chewing here and there he got more playful, took some milk from my palm, and enjoyed his tummy rub and a bit of a play. Tapping his nose doesn't seem to have that much of an effect, but I was dragging him across the floor by the scruff tonight, wether it's that thats done the job I don't know. Anyway, I feel a bit more positive about it, which can only be good.

Thanks all, I'll keep you posted.

Tuck

Apologies to those who have seen this on Rabbiters, I've copied and pasted.

I certainly agree that animals seem to often respond like for like with the way they are treated. I've had all three from young kits, and if they don't come up to scratch, in this case, there's only me to blame. But I know what you mean LB, sometimes nature just throws a "wrong un" cough Pete Doherty cough.

I've had all three from young kits, and if they don't come up to scratch, in this case, there's only me to blame. But I know what you mean LB, sometimes nature just throws a "wrong un" cough Pete Doherty cough.

Tuck,

Do not blame yourself, you have raised the other two with no problems. It happens, some take a lot longer to learn others will never learn at all. I had one jill in the past that I could not do anything with. But on the whole, most respond well to good treatment. You saying about milk in your hand reminded me of an old ferreter who told me "whenever you have a new ferret spit on your hand and let it drink it, it gets used to you and will never bite." Tried it and the very first ferret I tried it on, stuck his teeth through my thumb. That was an old wives tale if ever there was one.

Sounds like a teenage boy to me :good: i must admit if i get a particulaly '' quarrelsome'' ferret i only allow it a small area to explore and i dont handle it for the first hour of it being let out of its cage/hutch etc, there like springs when you first let them out so i always allow around an hour for them to surn off the initial excitment , then i will sit on the floor & engage it in play, if i get a bit usually arms or a lunging at the face bite i simply put the ferret in an empty carry box for a short period of time & then let it out again, yes thats right '' naughty step '' :yes: for ferrets

Give that a try it takes a few weeks but to be honest by the time there around 8 month old there usually starting to calm down

Tuck, as you say he is playing, a little rough maybe but it is just play. DO NOT FLICK HIM or hurt him in any way, this will just make him aggressive. handle him as much as possible, he sounds as if he wants more exercise.

I used to let my ferrets loose in the garage, they would explore everywhere then come back to me with their tails sticking up like bottle brushes cackling and dancing, i would get down on the floor with them and have a good rough and tumble with them, scratching their tummy's and rolling them over, they would bite but it was only play. When he does bite, make sure you have got him supported, would you loose go if you did not know how far you were going to fall?

As for leaving him with your friend, either get them used to each other before you go, tell your friend not to get too close to him. or get someone else to look after it.

if he gets mis-treated while you are away he could turn aggressive.

best of luck and let us know how things turn out. :)

Edited by peck

well i used to have ferrets years ago i had a gill who was as gentle as a lamb but one hell of a worker she used to like to play bite but i must say she never ever broke my skin she would lock on but never peirced the skin and when the time came i breeded her with my mates ferret and had a good litter of 8

i kept 2 of the litter for my self and they were good workers aswell only trouble was they were as daft as a brush harmless in their own way

but by god they used to like to bite me they were percy and hector by the way and they did break the skin a good few times

but i guess they thought they were just playing i soon got used to the biting from those two

mind you in the middle of the night they used to start fighting each other and they not half made some noise

and yet in the day time when they both up and awake they were like baby lambs friendly towards each other

so i just left them to it

anyway if you in any doubt about your friend looking after the ferret while you away tell him wear a glove with that one that bites (not a woolly glove mind) any padded glove will do

as like you say if he keen on ferrets he not want to be put off by them biting its in their nature to do so

Lots of food for thought there, thanks everyone. Things are looking up a little bit, we've had a good play tonight without a nip. So fingers crossed. It raises some interesting points though. The drinking from the hand thing was never much of a thing of mine, it seems to have worked this time, but hey ho, if it works this time, that'll do for me. I've never been much of a ferret tamer, I like to get them young and handle them frequently and gently, those adults that have been passed to me which have been a bit toothy haven't lasted long at my place. I may well get slated for this, but it's just the way it is. (Dogs however, I love the challenge, and tend to do well with.)

I think he may well have energy to burn, and this could be part of the problem, you could be right Peck. There's bigger living quarters coming, but not for three weeks, so until then I'll make do, as I'm in the middle of a house move. (Out of interest, can anyone recommend me a good shop bought hutch, or court, I won't be in a position to make anything for a while.)

Things are looking up, I'll keep you posted.

Grabbing him by the scruff and giving him a gentle shake should work because that's how the jill will show she the boss ,feed him give him a good run round and then handle him its one of these things theres no overnight cure its going to seem to drag on for you ,when i think a fortnight steady handling will be all it will take . And stick at it or how will you feel sticking your hand into a dead end for a rabbit when you know that biting ferrets in there