Need help with my wood

Fatcatsplat

Just taken all the lacquer off my Lanber and want to give it a nice finish (The lacquer prompted more than one person to ask me if the stock was plastic!).

The popular choice on here seems to be to rub in oil and then give a wax finish at the end. Can anyone recommend which brands to use please or offer any tips or tricks?

Many thanks,

Matt

The Napier Stock kit looks pretty good, and Mole Valley do it at a knock down price (which is still quite expensive haha). Might be better just to get the finishing bits though if you've already given your wood a good rub :friends:

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/pl3_SHOOT...C_GUN-CLEAN.htm

Edited by George1990

If you are a patient sort, you can use boiled linseed oil whcih I have used in finishing a few stocks over the years. You need to apply it little and often, but don't be surprised if your wife or girl friend starts getting jeaous of all the time you spend withoiled hands caressing a piece of wood. Boiled linseed oil is pretty cheap, I think. The secret is small amounts, hand rubbing and use of fine wire wool to aid the finish.

I'm sure the commercial finishes make it easy, but this is really cheap and is I think the original way people did stocks.

Depends how keen the wood is to take the oil.

Ive had guns that just will not take any colour from any sort of hand rubbing oil. So i have used water based stains. Birch wood casey make a rather effective one if you want a dark colour.

Otherwise just good old fashioned linseed oil gives a very nice finish. Wax will help get a nice sheen on it that would otherwise take a little while to develop with plain oil.

I just used one in a shoe polish type container with a pale yellow label. Cant remember the brand. But seen it in loads of shops. I used it sparingly as i personally believe oil gives a nicer finish.

The below is oiled and waxed, lots of oil, and very thin coat of wax

post-1577-1157918945.jpg

shot!!