stress / depression and SGC application

southernlad

Hi all,

Been on the forum a few times and read some excellent tips from you all, so thought it was about time I joined! Just thought I'd introduce myself first - I'm new to the forum, keen fisherman and hunter (when I get the chance...). Have lived in Somerset most of my life and looking to get into some shooting again after a break of a few years. Previously hunted small game with air rifles but have recently got into clay shooting and have applied for an SGC.

I have a slight problem though... January of this year I ended up going to see the doc because pressure at work was starting to get to me and I was suffering from stress and mild depression. This is not a condition I have any history of and was a one-off incident which was quickly resolved and I'm right as rain again now. I was prescribed some anti-depressants (I think I may have slightly badgered the doc into giving me something cos he wasn't too keen to prescribe... oops) which I took for a few weeks, felt better and stopped, realising I had talked myself into being 'ill'. not a single problem since. I must stress that it was a mild condition, brought about by circumstances and I certainly wasn't feeling suicidal, homicidal or anything of that nature, just felt a bit under the weather (as we all do sometimes!).

My question is this - I felt I should mention this on my application and my doctor has been contacted - is this likely to mean I will be refused a certificate? Anyone got any advice as to what I should do to get the best possible outcome? I will feel mighty miffed if I'm labelled a 'nutter' for such a mild and common condition and told to take a hike by the fuzz.

NTMU southernlad.

I experienced a very similar condition when I was younger, more specifically when I was 20, with the same outcome.

Aged 24 I applied for my SGC and FAC. I made a point of listing it, deciding that honesty was the best policy (it's all on the medical records anyway!).

I had absolutely no problems at all with the grant of my SGC/FAC, with my FLO barely making mention of it.

Hope this helps in some way.

ATB.

Jonno.

I think that you have sufferd from a very comman malady brought on by over work . I would explain on your application your depression problem and if the police contact your G.P. he will then be able to explain your situation . I dont think that you will have a problem .But honesty is the best policy . Good luck with your application . Harnser .

Funnily enough, Doc just rang me! He said he'd had the letter from the FLO and wanted to let me know what he was going to say, which was basically that I had a minor bout of depression for which i was treated successfully and that no further problems have arisen and he sees no reason for denying my certificate on health grounds. Which I hope is good news! The odd thing is that they asked for his opinion on my medical condition and I was under the impression that the FLO can't do that...? Thought it was factual information only. Anyway, the main thing is that he is happy that I'm fit to own a shotgun. cheers for the replies guys.

Anyone else in the Zumerzet area? I'm in Yeovil, but don't hold that against me... :good:

It's a pity you asked for the pills really. When my business starting suffering, I had a mild session of depression (I was just pi$$ed off really). I went to the doctor and she said it sounded like mild depression. She said she could prescribe some pills - did I want that? I said "no I don't want to start taking pills" and she said "right answer, now ****** off" :lol:

I asked her if this would have any bearing on my SGC and she said no, because I had said I hadn't given any thought to self-harm or harming anyone else, and I didn't feel that I needed medication. She told me to go and do some exercise, as exercise produces the same chemicals in the body as anti-depressants give you, so it should make me feel better.

:good:

Yeah, know what you mean Chard, wish I sodding well hadn't now! I didn't need em and the doc didn't want to give them to me, I think I was just feeling sorry for myself!! If there's any problems I'll mention the benefits of the exercise I would get walking the hills and dales with a shotgun to the FLO and see what he says... :good: Cheers for your responses, feelin a bit more confident about getting the certificate now!

So then Chard, straight down to JJ sports for some over sized boxing gloves and then onto the newsagents for some top shelf action.

If only you could get that on the NHS.....

LMAO :good::lol: . Dirty Northern ****** :lol::lol: .

Doesn't sound like you've got a problem, so I wouldn't imagine that the SGC will be a problem either. Good luck with it.

Robert

Hasn't helped his shooting though - his eyesight is shot to pieces although he does have a right forearm like Popeye

She told me to go and do some exercise, as exercise produces the same chemicals in the body as anti-depressants give you, so it should make me feel better.

:lol:

Dosent Sex give of the same chemicals? I bet she didnt offer you that?

Christ, you haven't clocked her. She's the Ginger Witch of Gingerville :good:

So then Chard, straight down to JJ sports for some over sized boxing gloves and then onto the newsagents for some top shelf action.

If only you could get that on the NHS.....

LMAO :lol::P . Dirty Northern ****** :D:P .

Doesn't sound like you've got a problem, so I wouldn't imagine that the SGC will be a problem either. Good luck with it.

Robert

Hasn't helped his shooting though - his eyesight is shot to pieces although he does have a right forearm like Popeye

:D:D:D

It keeps jerking the gun to the right. That'll be why I shoot better with the Mossberg, it's more of a natural action :lol:

Edited by Chard

She told me to go and do some exercise, as exercise produces the same chemicals in the body as anti-depressants give you, so it should make me feel better.

:lol:

Dosent Sex give of the same chemicals? I bet she didnt offer you that?

She probably did, but Chard's not going to pay those kind of prices - it's £1.50 and a bag of chips up Manchester way. Come to Donny lad - you'll still get change from a quid, and a dose thrown in for nowt :good::lol: .

Robert

£1.50 AND a bag of chips?

You must be 'avin' a ******* giraaaaaafe

It would have to be an exotic all-nighter for that :lol: