one bullet two foxes

sniperdaz

just thought i would share this with someone as i will never see it again... :lol:

im a22lr man who was considering a 17hmr for foxes when im not shooting rabbits, ive always taken some high velocity 22 out with the possibility of shooting a fox. however on this particular night my mate and i were walking around the farm plincking off a few rabbits on the lamp, when we came across the tell tail eyes in the beam, we quickly turned the lamp off and i perssioned myself on a concrete pipe bridge over a stream about 70/80 yards away, dropped down my bypod turned the lamp on took aim just below his chops and shot with the high velocity. the fox didnt even flinch to my amazment he just seemend to lay down. we walked over to find that he was of curse stone dead, but to our amazment there was a vixen behind him half dead as well. at that point i never thought about the hmr again.

has anyone else come across this. :blush:

well 70-80 yards with a .22 shot through the chest of one them in to another :blush: to shoot a fox at that distance with a .22 isnt the best thing to be doing

seeing as you hold an fac why not get a rifle that is suitable for the job something like a .222 -.243 which will do the job properly

if you going to continue shooting them with a .22 why not squeek them in to about 40 yards then do a head shot

im sure a lot of people will agree with me

im not saying you cant kill foxes with a ,22 just get them closer so you can do it more humanely with a clean head shot as shooting them in the chest they can run off and you will spend a good while looking for it (if you bother to )

not talking them down ,their cracking little round,no doubt that a round will go through a fox at 200 yds plus no problem,but a fox actually dropping on the spot cosistantly at those ranges after being struck in the chest are slim imho. horses for courses i reckon,fair enough if your out after rabbits like everyone says,a fox appears,what do you do?? well personally id try and call him in to 40 yds ish,or leave him go on his way till i bump into him with .222. :blush: each to their own i suppose.

not talking them down ,their cracking little round,no doubt that a round will go through a fox at 200 yds plus no problem,but a fox actually dropping on the spot cosistantly at those ranges after being struck in the chest are slim imho. horses for courses i reckon,fair enough if your out after rabbits like everyone says,a fox appears,what do you do?? well personally id try and call him in to 40 yds ish,or leave him go on his way till i bump into him with .222. :lol: each to their own i suppose.

I enjoy reading these recollections and usually can relate to a similar experiences, I normally carry a 5 shot mag loaded with HV .22 for just such instances its a simple matter to switch mags, just remember that the rifle is scoped in at maybe 50yds using subs, very different to 80yds+ using HV.

I think I must have misunderstood the above but a .22 round going through a fox at 200yds plus?

:blush: D2D

Edited by dusk2dawn

I think I must have misunderstood the above but a .22 round going through a fox at 200yds plus?

:lol: D2D

Now how real the results are I don't know but in the link I posted a guy shoots a turkey wrapped in clothes at 300 yards with HV .22 ammo and his results (again its the net, don't know how real they are) are quite interesting.

Got to love the .22lr and the fox debate :blush:

nice shooting, you were within effective range and killed the fox you were after and picked the second so no harm done. It was an oportunistic shot that only resulted with an injured fox due to the pass through of the HV round striking one you couldn't see. Personally if there were pheasants or lambs about you had a result. :blush:

I am more than a little suprised that no one has picked up on the fact that he hit an animal stood behind his target that he was completely unaware of , what if that had been not anathor fox?:blush:???Are we not supposed to ensure a backstop before firing, irresponsable I think at tyhe least.

I am more than a little suprised that no one has picked up on the fact that he hit an animal stood behind his target that he was completely unaware of , what if that had been not anathor fox?:lol:???Are we not supposed to ensure a backstop before firing, irresponsable I think at tyhe least.

Not being there I think it a little unfair to assume that there was no safe backstop, as said on here many times we do not take unsafe shots, Sniperdaz in his profile indicates he is in the guntrade and not a youngster, so all in all my money would be on it being a safe shot.

Just my opinion for what its worth.

:blush: D2D

I am more than a little suprised that no one has picked up on the fact that he hit an animal stood behind his target that he was completely unaware of , what if that had been not anathor fox?:blush:???Are we not supposed to ensure a backstop before firing, irresponsable I think at tyhe least.

says it all really.

this is more a safety issue rather than is my gun big enough.

thankyou for the debate on what bullet to use but to talk about how safe the shot is ! well thats just wrong, what would you like me to do discribe to you how much land ive got how many public right of ways there are, where the fox was when i shot it, or would you like me to tell you how many years ive been shooting...... cant you just accept the shot for what it is, and have some trust in people. in my experience personalities who have very little good to say about others achivements or expiriences are, week individuals and take great pleasure at knoking others to some how make them selfs feel better.thankyou Daz.

As to all the other comments: taken in with great regards your cleary the type of responsible hunters that would all get along. :lol:

Edited by sniperdaz

People constantly talk down the .22lr

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthread...3007#Post503007

I agree with the advice of getting a cheap to run ceterfire specifically for foxes but if out rabbiting with a .22lr and I had the skills I would take the same shot as the OP

people also always talk up the .22lr

thankyou for the debate on what bullet to use but to talk about how safe the shot is ! well thats just wrong, what would you like me to do discribe to you how much land ive got how many public right of ways there are, where the fox was when i shot it, or would you like me to tell you how many years ive been shooting...... cant you just accept the shot for what it is, and have some trust in people. in my experience personalities who have very little good to say about others achivements or expiriences are, week individuals and take great pleasure at knoking others to some how make them selfs feel better.thankyou Daz.

As to all the other comments: taken in with great regards your cleary the type of responsible hunters that would all get along. :lol:

well said daz

i too have been slated on here, but take it with a pinch of salt as i do

None of us were present and saw what went off, so are we actually in a position to comment on the shot?

fair point davek.

but if its put on the forum people will discuss surely.

if the poster is offended then so be it, as the future of all our shooting could be lost far to easy by one mans recklessness. its happened before.

thankyou for the debate on what bullet to use but to talk about how safe the shot is ! well thats just wrong

pardon, safty first second and third. all the time every time.