New rifle

njc110381

Hey guys. I got my FAC back yesterday, so I went to pick the new gun up today. It's a second hand BRNO 602 .375 H&H Magnum, which could prove interesting. I've never fired anything bigger than a .444 marlin before, so it could be quite an experience! It's a tatty old rifle, but it was cheap and the bore is good. Now all I need to do is find the courage to fire it :good:

I'll get some photos up soon, when I find my camera.

If the gun fits you well (and it is worth doing what you can to ensure this), the recoil off a .375 H&H isn't too bad. I have a .470" NE, which is fairly manageable. It's not something you'd want to fire all day, but is is definitely tamer than a Weatherby Magnum, or a .338 Lapua.

What scope will you be putting on the BRNO?

Edited by Baldrick

Funny you ask about the scope, it has one fitted. Thing is, I think it may have some historical value, so may remove it and put something else on it.

It's on QD mounts, and has both turrets on top of the tube. One of the turrets is marked ZF4/S aus jena DDR. It has a pointy post and two horizontal lines, so kind of 3/4 of a cross hair in a way. I can't get much from Google, but I think it's an old military snipers scope? I'm trying to find out more about it as we speak.

The gun feels like it fits well, I guess I'll find out when I fire it!

Zapp, that's great, cheers for the links! That is my scope. The top link shows it fitted to the same rifle as I've just bought. So it's a Zeiss, no wonder the optics are pretty clear on it. I'm not sure what to do now, it obviously has some historical value, even if it isn't worth a great deal of money.

I can only use the rifle at the range here for now. I didn't have time to get evidence for the expanding ammo before I go away. I'll be dealing with that when I get back. As for shooting Pidgins with it, we'll have to see what the conditions say later. I'll certainly pop a bunny with it though at some point ???

Last but not least, I always suspected Bivvy was a carpet muncher :good:

My pleasure :)

If you want to see a really big gun then have a gander at the Croatian RT-20 on that worldguns link. Its so powerful that it has a muzzle brake and an over the shoulder venturi to counter the recoil... (it's 20mm btw, a cannon round!)

Check out the comparison between the 20mm ammo it uses and a .50BMG!

RT-20

ZB

Edited by Zapp Brannigan

I've just fitted a Limbsaver butt pad to it this afternoon. The old one was really tatty and hopefully it will make the recoil more tolerable. Several people have told me it doesn't kick that badly (I guess they just shoot something even bigger!) but I'm a bit of a wimp. I think my 6.5x55 kicks hard enough!

I really need to get to the range and fire it. Trouble is I can only buy 20 rounds at a time and hold 25. They could have let me hold 50 or something :hmm:

If they wont up it I can see me buying a scissor press and taking sized and primed brass, heads and powder to the range and putting them together as I go :hmm: