Green laning/ Off roading

kentishsteve

does anybody know where to go green laning in kent or east sussex

We get seriously pi**ed off with a little convoy of 6 or so 4x4,s frequently out on our patch TN26/7, sat pm and/or sun am, who think its their god given right to deviate across any stubble, woodland track etc taking down or removing anything in the way, churning up organised toll rides meant for horses, forcing walkers into the hedge/ditch (which they think is hilarious). Most insurance policies do not cover offroad driving so it would not be goodnews if someone or their dog were to be injured.

They, and I hope one of them is reading this, will despite the cit band radios, soon be sorted by the rural plod squad who have been tasked to end their regular sorties. Even to the extent of staking out the Ashford Tesco jet wash and nearby Mac D,s where they wash down and trough :hmm: ....... so be warned not everyone shares the same enthusiasm for "greenlaners".

Im not a killjoy by any means, always had 4x4 and enjoy offroad driving, but by invitation and legally.

:) D2D

• 1 month later...

i was under the impression green laning was legal as a green lane is for motor vehicles aswell as horses and pedestrians and surely someone has a duty to keep such lanes that are legal for motor vehicular access free from obstructions but hey maybe i'm wrong if someone would like to make me rite i would be much obliged

I was out green laning with a small group last weekend , a long time since I did it , Was most enjoyable but, a few were off the track and cutting up the land along side ,

Even trying to explain the dammage to land and the immage fell on deaf ears , Not much different to most hobbies these days ,

We heard some shooting going on and the leader took another route , saying everyone should enjoy the countryside , He even stopped to chat to walkers and quad bikers , a top bloke who knew his stuff ,

It was pleasing to pass some of the old drives[shooting] I did 30 years ago on paid for days . there is NO substitute for good terrain shooting or off roading , pitty the are usualy the same ones ,

North Wales has some of the best lanes and ,shooting , great to be out there again .POW

Sounds like you had a top day in N Wales, we trail ride on our Enduro bikes but also like to have a go in the Landrovers, trouble is they are closing all the lanes in the National Parks around N Yorkshire where we usually go. A couple of mates went up to the Lakes last weekend and had a good day. I've got all the lanes in the Peak District which are open and legal marked on Landranger maps if your interested?

Thanks for the offer Paul , I dont thinkl I will travel that far these days ,

There is fortunately plenty left in wales and there is a dedicated team who do sterling work to repair and , police them against the few idiots ,

What a shame that so many clash in the outdoor persuits , be it ramblers shooters trail riders , or 4x4 .

I wont be popular for saying this but , on some shoots when ramblers pass in a legal manner I have heard shooters make such foul remarks , likewise ramblers who go 300/400 yards off a footpath to vent their anger , Still its a funny old world now .

I have friends who live in Yorkshire , and though not taken the Green Lanes we have enjoyed the surrounding countryside and a nice !"Pub Lunch" .

Cheers and maybe meet on the lanes or on a peg , [ thats happened before ! ] POW.

Next time your in the Yorkshire Dales, try the Falcon Inn at Arncliffe if its not too far away, its the most old fashioned pub we have ever been to. It only has barrels of real ale which the landlord pours in to a plastic jug before it goes in to your pint glass, then if you want food you have to pop your head into the house and ask his wife if she feels like cooking. She usually does and hot pork pie and peas with mint sauce is usually the order of the day!!!!

The routes we used to use to get there have closed now which is a shame, but they are still footpaths/bridleways so lots of good walking to be had!!!!!

Never done the lanes in Wales but who knows......

Paul.

• 2 weeks later...