gun cleaning

daser66

First,get an old towel and place it on a table/floor cos its gonna get messy! :good:

Dribble bore cleaner down barrells and using a bronze brush screwed onto the rods-start scrubbing until all the debris is gone.Pay particular attention to the chamber.Add more bore cleaner as required-i prefer to keep it wet.Dont forget the chokes too.I always remove them while cleaning-make sure both the barrell & choke threads are clean and apply a little oil afterwards to prevent them getting siezed.

Once you're satisfied its clean,screw the jag onto the rod (its a grooved thingy and either brass or plastic depending on price) and thread a shotgun patch through the gap.Then dribble more bore cleaner onto the patch and push this up & down the barrells to clean them (it will turn black).Replace the patch and repeat until it stays clean.

Then using a fresh patch-dribble a small amount of gun oil on and work this into the barrells.Dont over oil because it only ends up running out all over the stock when stood upright.

First,get an old towel and place it on a table/floor cos its gonna get messy! :good:

Dribble bore cleaner down barrells and using a bronze brush screwed onto the rods-start scrubbing until all the debris is gone.Pay particular attention to the chamber.Add more bore cleaner as required-i prefer to keep it wet.Dont forget the chokes too.I always remove them while cleaning-make sure both the barrell & choke threads are clean and apply a little oil afterwards to prevent them getting siezed.

Once you're satisfied its clean,screw the jag onto the rod (its a grooved thingy and either brass or plastic depending on price) and thread a shotgun patch through the gap.Then dribble more bore cleaner onto the patch and push this up & down the barrells to clean them (it will turn black).Replace the patch and repeat until it stays clean.

Then using a fresh patch-dribble a small amount of gun oil on and work this into the barrells.Dont over oil because it only ends up running out all over the stock when stood upright.

Yes to all the above ,but make sure you clean all of the oil from inside the barrels before shooting the gun again .Otherwise serious damage could occur to the gun (ring bulges or at the very worst ,burst barrels ) Harnser .

same quoted but I run the bronze brush though dry a few times at the beginning.

I also store my gun barrels down so any excess oil run out the end not over the stock or firing system

Yes to all the above ,but make sure you clean all of the oil from inside the barrels before shooting the gun again .Otherwise serious damage could occur to the gun (ring bulges or at the very worst ,burst barrels ) Harnser .

Never knew that! :good: Thank you Harnser! :good::good:

If im using the gun next day,i just lightly swab the bores with a little cleaner afterwards and only use oil when not being used for a while.

Patch saving tip

Before you use up copious quantities of patches, first pass or two can be by filling the chamber up with bog paper and shoving it through with a rod without any brush on it - gets 90% of the loose cr*p out before you start using up your more expensive consumables.

Also, with modern guns with chromed barrels, phosphor bronze brushes designed to be kind on older barrels do wear out fast and need more work than the spiral metal brushes favoured in the content. If you have crud to move, these spiral ones really work well.

Push out loose stuff with bog paper

Scrub with metal brush and bore scrubber

Use patch to clean and inspect for grey fouling ( plastic /lead)

Scrub again selectively as required.

When clean, pass wool mop with light oil film to preserve barrels

Store barrels down

Note, dont view down barrels into bright light - all you will see is reflected halo, not the problems. Look sideways into the barrel so you just cant see out the other end and roll it around to view. Overcast or late afternoon, NOT BRIGHT SUNLIGHT, is best - you see much more, particularly the fouling.

Just to add to the making sure there is no oil in the barrels before shooting . No liquid of any kind must be in the barrels when fireing . The reason is that liquids and oils cannot be compressed ,and when liquids or oil is present in the barrel it will obstruct the free passage of the shot and wadding in a shot gun or the the bullet in a rifle . The very high pressures in a barrel will force the shot or bullet past the liquid ,as the liquid cannot be compressed it will force it self out ward into the barrel walls causing bulging of the barrel or in extreame cases a barrel bursting . A good shooter always carry a pull through with him in the field in case his barrels get water in them . I hope this all makes sence . Harnser ,

I used to do all the things listed above, sepecially using kitchen paper to keep it cheap. BUt then I got fed up of messing aboutwith rods, brushes, paper, bore cleaner etc.

So I bought a tine of Napier gun cleaner and a boresnake.

The napier has built in oil which protects and cleans, so you just spray some into the barell, leave a minute, then make about 2 passes with the boresnake and it's mirror clean!!!!

The boresnake was about £20 but worth every penny. Literally cuts the time it takes to clean the gun by a mile.