Primer/Undercoat Coats

lord_seagrave

Well, I have spent hours (and quite ruined my nails) stripping and sanding the skirting and doorframes back to bare wood. I think it's the original 1930s woodwork and, having spent the intervening years buried under 6 or 7 layers of various colours of paint, it has come up very clean and sharp.

My question is now this - I want to paint it bright gloss white, losing none of the sharp edges and clean lines. Would you gentlemen advise one coat (as the missus believes will be sufficient) of primer, or (as I believe) will it require a couple of coats, lightly sanded between each?

It is fully my intention to give it a couple of coats of gloss, but is this overkill as well?

The only reason I ask is the Lady Seagrave and her mother are slaving over a cold living room as I write (from my cosy little office in the City :good: ), and, whilst I don't want to give them unnecessary work, I do want the job done nicely. Of course, I shall hurry home to help, but I don't want them to go off half-cocked.

Any ideas/advice?

LS

If that is a privately owned business, then I am surprised.

Its my experience if it means money in their pocket, then these shops will sell you almost anything.

They may clench their teeth when they do it, but the "ka-ching" of the till usually salves most consciences.

I once had a polite conversation with an old friend who owned three newsagents/general stores and asked him how the girlie mags and alcohol sales fitted in with his religious beliefs.

He said that he did not personally indulge in either and didn't feel that selling them compromised his beliefs.

He also added that they accounted for 22% of his turnover. :good:

One coat of primer, (dulux do a trade water based one which is pretty good)

One coat of quality undercoat

one or two coats of high quality gloss dependant on how it looks after the initial coat.

I only ever use dulux trade paints with my job and have never had any complaints as yet. Buy a very good quality brush and it will show in the finish too. Most of ours are Purdys and provide a cracking finish. However, they are not cheap and only available at trade outlets.

For a truly top finish, strain your paint into a new or clean paint kettle through some old tights to remove any bits etc and make sure your brush is equally clean. Prior to glossing, wipe all the surfaces down with a tack rag or damp cloth to remove any dust.

Just done ours with a friend who knows quite a bit about it (does it for a living). Can't add much to Mr Lee's advice (sounds like a man of experience) but like Mr Lee my chum swears by Dulux. He also advises avoiding the "non-drip" gloss because it's "horrible stuff" (?). Anyway, it has come up very nicely.

All the best,

Robert

I wouldn't touch non drip if I were given a pallet load of the stuff.

Yup, been a decorator now for over 21 years. Had my own company for over 8 years. ALWAYS used Dulux trade paints. :yes:

The success of painting is down to the preparation.

Assuming you have softwood skirtings you will need to fill & seal any old knots with patent knotting or the sap will burn a brown mark through the paint.

Prime & stop then lightly sand before undercoat and 1 gloss .

Use the best quality oil based paints you can afford the old saying you only get what you pay for is true in this case. Non drip, quickdrying, self undercoating, one coat this and that are all gimmicks of inferior quality paint.

As Mr Lee said Dulux Trade paints are excellent. Buy them form your decorators merchants and you will probably get them a little cheaper than the DIY store.

Enjoy.

FM

Gentlemen, can any of you explain in layman's terms what the difference between primer and undercaot is? If I have a pot that describes itself as "primer & undercoat", is that a good thing or a bad thing?

LS

primer is a sealing agent, whilst undercoat it the base the gloss attatches itself to. :yes: