young shot licence

M800

hi all

I have been clay shooting for a couple of years now and my lad who is 10 has been having a go now and again but is now wanting to take it up more seriously so im thinking of getting him his own shotgun to use

So my question is does he need a shotgun license or do i put the gun on my license and he uses it when he needs it im just a bit confused as to what to do about the license

he is always under my supervision etc its just the license part im not to sure about

:yes:

There is no reason why you shouldnt apply for his own shotgun certificate . At his age he will not be allowed to buy his own gun or use it without supervision . He will be able to have a gun gifted to him and put on his certificate . I am sure he will feel more envolved if he has his own ticket and gun .Go for it . best of luck . Harnser .

As far as i'm aware he can have a certificate but.

he can't buy a gun or ammo

don't think he can have acess to the cabinate?:yes:

he must be supervised by SGC holder at all times. does not have to be you

he can have a gun given as a gift but thats all.

i'd save the money on the cert and if he will only ever shoot when you are there! if he goes with other people suitable to supervise him then get his own cert?

that the only big perk of having his own

The law requires a junior is supervised by a person over 21 years, but, interestingly, the supervising person does not need to be a SGC holder - so provided the junior has the gun legally in their possession, the supervisor needs only be over 21yrs, nothing more.

Note how-ever, it is a commonly held fallacy, that if a SGC accompanies another person and lends their gun that this is legal.

That is NOT correct. A gun may only be lent under one of the two exemptions allowed in the Fire-arms act.

Section 11-6 allows a shoot ground to hold an exemption permit to allow non SGC to shoot, but the terms of this are under approved supervision. This means that if you turn up at a shoot with a non-sgc holder and shoot a round without the holder of the 11-6 permit's consent, the law has been broken. Just because a ground is 11-6 licensed does not give non-sgc holders any right to shoot until approved as being suitably supervised by the 11-6 holder.

11-6 grounds may say that the lad cannot shoot under dads supervision, until he has had a lesson with the resident coach and be cleared as safe ( and that may be dad as well if supervision is to be delegated), or he may have to shoot in a squad with a regular club member supervising.

If you use or even hold a shotgun and you do not have a license, you are breaking the law unless you are covered by one of the section 11 exemptions.

The other is that the owner of land may lend their own gun to a non-sgc holder and allow them to shoot in their presence.

So if father and son have permission to shoot, and the son is not a sgc holder and the land owner not present with his own gun, he cannot legally use dads.

For purposes of this exemption, Dad can be deemed to be the owner of the land if he had written permission. Ownership does not necessarily mean freehold, but can be taken to mean leased. rented land, or hunting / shooting rights granted. Verbal permission's could be difficult, so get consents in writing.

Best still, get the lad his own SGC.

There is no reason why you shouldnt apply for his own shotgun certificate . At his age he will not be allowed to buy his own gun or use it without supervision . He will be able to have a gun gifted to him and put on his certificate . I am sure he will feel more envolved if he has his own ticket and gun .Go for it . best of luck . Harnser .

You May Only Be Gifted The Shotgun When You Are 15. You May Only Buy The Gun And Ammunition Once You Are 17. Until He Has The Certificate He May Not Have Acces To The Cabinet. Once He Has The Certificate, He May Only Gain Acces When Under Direct Supervision.

Be On The Safe Side, Get The Lad A Certificate. You Will Only Have To Get Him One In A Few Years, So Whats The Harm In Getting It Now

QS

If In Doubt, Ask Your Local FEO.

The law requires a junior is supervised by a person over 21 years, but, interestingly, the supervising person does not need to be a SGC holder - so provided the junior has the gun legally in their possession, the supervisor needs only be over 21yrs, nothing more.

Note how-ever, it is a commonly held fallacy, that if a SGC accompanies another person and lends their gun that this is legal.

That is NOT correct. A gun may only be lent under one of the two exemptions allowed in the Fire-arms act.

Section 11-6 allows a shoot ground to hold an exemption permit to allow non SGC to shoot, but the terms of this are under approved supervision. This means that if you turn up at a shoot with a non-sgc holder and shoot a round without the holder of the 11-6 permit's consent, the law has been broken. Just because a ground is 11-6 licensed does not give non-sgc holders any right to shoot until approved as being suitably supervised by the 11-6 holder.

11-6 grounds may say that the lad cannot shoot under dads supervision, until he has had a lesson with the resident coach and be cleared as safe ( and that may be dad as well if supervision is to be delegated), or he may have to shoot in a squad with a regular club member supervising.

If you use or even hold a shotgun and you do not have a license, you are breaking the law unless you are covered by one of the section 11 exemptions.

The other is that the owner of land may lend their own gun to a non-sgc holder and allow them to shoot in their presence.

So if father and son have permission to shoot, and the son is not a sgc holder and the land owner not present with his own gun, he cannot legally use dads.

For purposes of this exemption, Dad can be deemed to be the owner of the land if he had written permission. Ownership does not necessarily mean freehold, but can be taken to mean leased. rented land, or hunting / shooting rights granted. Verbal permission's could be difficult, so get consents in writing.

Best still, get the lad his own SGC.

Spot on :)

i knew you have to be 15-17 to get given a shotgun as a gift.

but my mates parents are seperated and his dad is rich and lets him have alot, and he recently went clay pigeon shooting and decided to take it up.

my question is, he sed he and his dad got licenses(which they probably have), and his dad got him a shotgun. Is that his techiniqally his shotgun or his dads as he is 14 btw :good: .

And one more quickie i am 16 and will be 17 in august 09

i can apply for a license. and when i turn 17 will i be able to go into a gun shop and purchase a shotgun and carts..? :)

Had my SGC since I was 13, I've been a proud owner of it since the day it arrived on my doorstep! I really think it would give him confidence and a sense of trust to know that he has his own licence.

In consideration to the above posts, I do believe that the law has recently been changed and the legal age to buy a gun and ammo has been raised to 18, so he will have to wait another year until he's completely let loose!

As far as being given one as a gift, I think it's stayed at 15 (strange how you can be given one, but not buy one!)

I wish him all the best and I'm sure you'll have loads of fun taking him shooting.

:good: 15 is the minimum age to have a shotgun on your license sorry

The FLO put them on my certificate and when I recieved it in the post it had my Dad's guns listed on them, printed when the certificate was as it would save having to add them at a later date when I turned 15 and would then be allowed access to them as I could use them unaccompanied.

FM :)