pressure cooking....

myzeneye

there are some great recipes on here.... but when i cook rabbit, i always tend to pressure cook it for 25 mins or so with some mixed herbs before i start with any of the real "cooking"....

the reason i do this, is firstly so that i can remove all the bones quickly and efficiently and secondly, so that i get super tender meat in 20 mins or so,not 2 hours.....

but, i can appreciate that nuking the meat in this way may affect my final out come.....

the rabbit usually goes in the colender type thing inside the pressure cooker,ontop of the veg and stock in the bottom... when its done, i can lift the rabiit out, stripp the meat off the bones and then throw it back in the pot.......then the lot either goes in a pie or is left as a stu........this way its all done in around 1/2 hour- 40 mins or so....

my veg is usually..stock, spuds,leek,carrot,onion,celery, barley........anything thats going really... stacks of salt/pepper/herbs...

either way, its all good, but what do you think? am i doing it half @rsed or does'nt it matter ? does anyone else pressure cook it ?

im no cook, but this is good enough for me and most people who've eaten it wolf it down...

my wife puts a puff pastry lid on it when she cooks it.... but thats just showing off..... ha ha ha :yes:

Edited by myzeneye

gutted, skinned and cut into legs/saddles/f legs and then left in salt water...in the pressure cooker over night... that saves washing another pot.....

then, next day, tip the salt water off, rinse, then add one cup full off water or so... not alot, your mostly gonna steam the begger...

add some mixed herbs, throw on the lid and blast it of full heat till the doobry ferking starts to spin fast.... then lower the heat till the doobry stops spinning and simmer like this for around 20 minutes or so... maybe a little more for 2-3 rabbits....

then remove from heat, depressurise lid... lift wabbits out and pich lovely super tender meat off the bones....

you can then do whatever you wish wish the meat....

my fav.... dip in egg ,roll in corn four and then deep fry for a few mins............. if you add 5 spice/salt/pepper etc to the corn flours or egg mix.... mm mm mmmmmm....

alternatively, when you cook the rabbit, use the little tray in the p.cooker...... cooker veg and stock at the same time under neath it.... when youve lifted the rabbit out and de boned it, throw the meat back in the pot with the veg, add some more stock and simmer for a wee while.....

this way, i can do a welll tasty stu/ pie filling etc in around 40 mins......

give it a go, see what you think.....

I prefer to brown the outside of the meat first to give it a nice flavour, then cook long and slow in a low oven, but hey, I have the time to do it. I tend to put the meat into milk overnight if it is an old buck, then I marinade for 4-8hrs in olive oil that has cruched garlic and whatever herbs are about, usually thyme and rosemary.

If you get good results with a pressure cooker why not.

does no one else do it this way ?

you tried it yet nial ?

No, I've no means of getting hold of a rabbit.

I think I've got my first permission for pigeons, I said all I was looking for was

to shoot pigeons and the odd rabbit. The farmer said that the rabbits round

here were wiped out in the 50's and haven't really returned.

Rightly enough I've spent a fair bit of time driving around trying to find pigeons

and haven't seen a single rabbit.

Nial.

Pressure cookers are fantastic for tenderising meat fast, but you dont get good results where the stew sauce is concerned, since these need time to work.

Thanks for the tip though myzeneye, I'd never thought of using the pressure cooker purely to make the meat removeable :welcomeani::hmm: , being able to flake it off in short order will make my rabbit madras a lot easier to do!

ZB

• 8 months later...

A random post on an old topic but for anybody looking through a top tip is to leave the lid on until the cooker has completely cooled. We've been having fantastic results cooking around 2 rabbits at a time for about 20 minutes.

Edited by smiiithy