T8 moderator question?

tikkamark

Id just like to ask any of the knowledgeable lads here there opinions on this matter with my mod ;)

I took it out of the safe this evening and noticed that near the top of the mod where the baffels are the outside skin of metal seems to be bulged ever so slightly i dont know is this normal or whats up with it i have it fitted to a .223 it is only 2 years old with no more than 300 bullets at the most gone through it :welcomeani: There is not a speck of rust on the outside and the baffels are shiny without any rust also,i give it a blast of wd40 into the baffles and the other end that slides over the barrel after any outing in damp conditions.The hole diameter is for the .30 diameter bullets because the thread size was hard to get for the t3 tactical so i went for the .30 model.Is this mod ready to pop or is it safe?Has anyone actually ever heard of that happening to a t8 before??

I can stick up pics if required :stupid:

Hmmm, sounds a little like the issue I have with my T8 a while ago, I took a pick of it and sent that to Jackson’s Rifles to have a look at and they swapped it for free.

There can be issues with the welds in side some of the T8, my mod was less that 3 months old and had only 200 to 300 243 rounds through it.

If you want I can try and dig out the pictures for you.

Jerry

I have heard several comments on the short life of the centre fire moderators and in so went for the T8 as it can be stripped easily and having stainless baffles should have a good life.I see several of you are stating that you use WD40,be very careful as the vapour from this can increase the explosive capacity of your ammunition and has caused guns in the US to explode or rupture the breach.

Possibly confusing Predator 8 and T8

From the Predator site

"The Predator 8 is made to compete directly with the T8 Reflex and has the same exterior dimensions as the T8 Reflex while weighing less.

Made from Stainless Steel and high grade Alloy comes as standard with 8 Baffel design - 4 and 12 Baffel designs are also available"

Tikkamark - I see that you say you only spray with WD40 'in damp conditions' - that isn't exactly what JR recommend. They say a spray after EVERY outing - whether or not the weapon has been fired.

T8s are very prone to the rust monster - you need to be pretty anal about caring for them. Unless your zero is screwed by taking it off (some say it is on their rifle) - remove it after every outing, give it a blow through (your mouth will do) to remove all the corrosive gases, then spray with WD40 or Napier (or similar). Some of it will evapoorate, but your first shot after will produce a visible signature (a plume of vapour).

Your mod will last longer - but sadly not for ever. There are longer lasting mods on the market, but usually at a cost.

I've got one - not my best buy but cheap in comparison to the competition.

Good luck

Badsworth

I have'nt come across this with my T8's. I use one on my 22-250, which has had many 100's of bullets through it amd also one on my 243 with a smaller amount of bullets through it. I clean mine exactly the same as you. WD40 inside it. Put a few pic's up so I/we can see it.

Steve

Steve

I uploaded the pic's to my computer but you cant see the bulges im talking about very well in the pics i can feel them and just about see them so putting up pics would be no use :/

Told you you're not supposed to club the fox with the mod Mark :hmm:

Any word on that other thing?

I know john im still learning,i thought the t8's would be well up for the odd clubbing seems i might have underestimated the foxes round here B)

Still the same story every time i ring them :oops: Getting well ticked off with them at this stage im gona try and get in contact with the superintendo myself asap :lol:

Tikkamark - I see that you say you only spray with WD40 'in damp conditions' - that isn't exactly what JR recommend. They say a spray after EVERY outing - whether or not the weapon has been fired.

T8s are very prone to the rust monster - you need to be pretty anal about caring for them. Unless your zero is screwed by taking it off (some say it is on their rifle) - remove it after every outing, give it a blow through (your mouth will do) to remove all the corrosive gases, then spray with WD40 or Napier (or similar). Some of it will evapoorate, but your first shot after will produce a visible signature (a plume of vapour).

Your mod will last longer - but sadly not for ever. There are longer lasting mods on the market, but usually at a cost.

I've got one - not my best buy but cheap in comparison to the competition.

Good luck

Badsworth

Badsworth

I know the t8's are pretty prone to rust but i do take very good care of it-I do take it off and allow it to reach room temperature before spraying it with wd40 lucky enough the zero is not affected by this procedure.

Im thinking the problem is the same as sanders-there could be issues with the welds inside :no: I will just keep a very close eye on it,if it gets any worse i will have to change :hmm: more bloody money!

Which brings me to this question-What is the best overbarrel moderator money can buy?Stainless seems to be much easier to mind.

Mark -

you have a couple of choices on decent sound mods

Overbarrel type - Atec or PES

End of barrel - Jet Z

I have just bought a Jet Z CQB for my .223 and it is the dogs dangley bits - the sound (or lack of it) is quite amazing.

Some will say a predetor 8, but they do not reduce the sound like any of the above and were made to compete with the T8 in the £200 range.

Edited by tulkyuk