Roost Shooting (Gales)

Elma Fud

Have any of you nice people been flighting or roost shooting during these gales.

I had an invite this morning from a friend to shoot some pigeons. He said he wanted to give a small wood a try, and pointed out that the wind was perfect coming from the south west.

As I was out beating all day and I told him that I wouldn’t get there until 4pm.

He phoned me just before 4pm to say that he had run out of cartridges. He only took 100 in his bag and that he only started shooting at 3pm. :D

I took my pup (1 year old) with me as he has not had much retrieving experience and this was an ideal opportunity for him for some training. I only had 50 cartridges with me and half an hour left of light.

I fired 46 cartridges and took some 17 brilliant fast, flighting birds.

The pup made some good steady retrieves and was a joy to watch as he went about his business. :/

Total bag 39 birds for 146 cartridges :lol:

Hope some of you enjoyed the same good fortune as us.

Elmer,

I was out yesterday in the Severn valley; blowing a hoolie.

It was like shooting driven grouse. You think you've got time then ZIP! they've gone. A couple dropped in the river (much too fast to put a spaniel in) so I picked eight for 28 shots. The average might not look anything special but I was shooting at the top of my form; someone else might have done better, but I never would.

The "retired" springer enjoyed himself too. He found a very highly coloured pigeon with a long tail and spurs on it's legs hiding under some bracken, and brought it back to me. (No I hadn't shot it!)

Eug

I went out on Sunday and their were Hundreds of Pigeons working the woodlands on my shoot. I tried decoying a few on to the rape but they were having none of it just flying overhead in groups of 30 or 40 at a time well out of reach of the 16g.

In the afternoon I took to the wood and shot 6 birds for about 30 cartridges but they were so fast on the wind and high above the canopy I was giving them about 30 ft of lead. The dog flushed a couple of woodcock and several pheasants. ( Not on the Sabbath !)

I cant wait for them to start hitting the rape as there appears to be plenty of big flocks about here at the moment. The birds I shot were still packed with Mast and Ivy.

FM.

I was driving around checking my bits of permission yesterday afternoon and again this morning. I came across two sizeable flocks (approx 500) on the rape,

but after I clapped them off they dissapeared into the next county.

I shot half a dozen last Saturday and they were all full of berries.

Went out for a nosey around today, went to 3 rape fields on one of them there was about 2000 pigeons feeding couldn't believe it, went to one of the others and there was about 1000 in the wood next to it, so i am going to try and catch a few of them out tomorrow roosting, will let you know how i get on and i will take some photo's of them for you all to look at. :D or will it be :/

I was driving around checking my bits of permission yesterday afternoon and again this morning. I came across two sizeable flocks (approx 500) on the rape,

but after I clapped them off they dissapeared into the next county.

I shot half a dozen last Saturday and they were all full of berries.

What out shooting again.

What will Mrs Browning think.

I'm out this Saturday stalking are you interested. :D

went out into the woods on sunday night and shot 10 pigeons for roughly 25 cartridges, just waiting for the decoys to thaw out this morning then i'm going to go and have a pop at a few. Just modified my lofting poles to accept a flapper so fingers crossed this should work pretty damn good :oops:

I got 2 jubilee clips for water piper on your engine.

Then i cut a short length of round steel and fastened it onto the top of the pole.

The only problem i had was that it was a fair weight to oik up on my own, back to the drawing board aswell as it decided to spin round a few times, i will post up some pics when i get it sorted.

Even though it didn't work too well i still got 7 pigeons :oops: