Computer Help

Ballymac

Any computer experts out there. On Sunday night daughter kept getting pop up on computer telling her there was a virus etc. We were directed to a site to download the latest virus software. I am very suspicious about this but now every 30 seconds I get a security alert telling me my computer is infected by PSW.x-vir a trojan etc etc.

Now I have had AVG running and it has found a treat that it healed, but I am still getting these ssecurity alerts poping up on the task bar. A small yellow triangle with an exclamation mark is flashing constantly and when I click on this other windows open up looking me to download this other software. Then I can't close these windows down without having to use ctrl+alt+delete

Anyone offer any help or is this going to cost me??

Saw this a few days ago. Don't download anything. If it's the same one i saw then you don't have a Trojan at all, it's just a programming running telling you to download a virus scanner program that will tell you you have lots of virus and to download there program a XYZ cost.

I think there were about 4 files running, one of which was something like HPJRUN.EXE. It was part of a set of files installed into the program files folder (sorry, can't remember folder name!). I used Task Manager to kill those running files then i could delete the entire folder contained within program files.

Like i said, it doesn't sounds like a virus ion it's own right but a trick to get you to pay for something you don't need. DON'T DOWNLOAD ANYTHING!!! Hopefully someone will be able to pin point the exact files you need to kill and delete. I'm looking now myself.

EDIT: It IS a trojan, NOT a virus. Sorry, got all in a muddle!

Edited by Markio

Just tried to end the program from the task manager and it closed my internet connection

This is getting very frustrating as I use my computer a lot.

It seems to be coming from windows live toolbar, or it opens options for winows live toolbar.

Come on you computer guys any suggestions

Edited by Ballymac

Just make sure you use a reputable virus checker as some sneeky guys have developed a great way to con you out of your money:

They say you have a virus, you download their free software and you scan. The scanner says you're seriously infected and your details are at extreme risk, etc and the quickest way to remove it all is to purchase the software, which will allow it to continue and remove the viruses and trojans.

All this and there isn't a single virus or trojan on your computer, just a way to con you out of your money.

AVG, Norton and Adaware are your best things for Antivirus, Firewall and Spyware removal. :angry:

Will

Turn off your computer, and at the beginning screen it should say, 'press f2' or 'f12' or another key. Eventually you'll get to a screen where you can select to run in 'SAFE MODE' start it up like this. This way it will start up in only the most basic system, not allowing any viruses or other programmes to start. Run your virus programme and also run Adaware too. This should sort it. You wont be able to access the internet whilst in safe mode. Just restart your computer and it'll be back to normal running mode.

Hopefully this should sort it.

Good luck

Edited by harfordwmj

Oh and thirdly. think of the name of the programme you think it is that's causing all the problems and do the following:

Press 'Start' then 'Run' and type 'msconfig' (not with speech marks) and go to 'Startup' and deselect the program you think it is. Be careful and make sure you're pretty certain. (I would recommend you 'hide microsoft services' to make sure you don't unselect anything critical)

This will stop the programme from starting up and running when you start your computer, so it wont be able to do anything

Good luck, again!

Thanks guys.

As regards the manx cats I didn't even get the pleasure of visiting that site, but will have words with the son when he comes home.

The virus has now changed to Trojan Spy Win32@mx and done a quick google on it. Harford is right about the safe mode part so will give it a go.

I have firewall on and run AVG but it has obviuosly got past it somehow.

Will go into safe mode and see what happens will report back if I can :angry:

I have firewall on and run AVG but it has obviuosly got past it somehow.

It probably didn't get passed the fire, more that someone let it through, often they disguise themselves as something legit so you download something you believe to be a video codec or program utility, you run it and hey presto.

I would have thought installing (will require a download but is all legit) Ad-aware or Spy bot (both available from download.com) and scanning your computer should help resolve this matter. I do quite a lot of stuff on the net and with these bits of software alone have yet to experience any issues!

Try these two bits of software: Spybot and Ad-aware

Spybot

Ad-Aware

Both available as free downloads and both are quite safe to use :lol:

They are reliable and have certainly helped me with 'puter problems on a couple of occasions

edit: :angry: What Drive By just said! Looks like he and I were posting at same time

Edited by p@cman

Have done system start up in safe mode and ran AVG that took 4 hours. Thought that it sorted the problem but no.

Have done the spybot thing and it cleaned up a lot of stuff but still got this problem. Will try again but really annoying. Will do the system restore thing also.

At this moment in time I can use the computer but every so often reminders appear to tell me to down,load which I am not going to do. The pop in the corner of the screen is annoying also

Need to get some work done. So will try these things another day.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help.

Ok this has been sorted. Don't think the spybot worked on its own, but that Malware done the job.

So thanks to all and if anyone gets this trojan they will know what to do.

The upshot is after cleaning my system, apparently had over 400 files infected my computer is now running much better.