.17 hmr cases splitting

i hope someone could give me advice. i bought 100 rounds of the federal .17hmr ammo and fired 5 shots today through my cz and noticed that the necks of 2 of the shells had vertical splits in them at the exact same spot. could this be dangerous in any way and could it be a fault with the rifle and or the ammo.

no need to take the rifle or gun back. Some HMR's will split necks. It isn't a safety issue. Some chambers are just a little larger (high side of spec) and will split the occasional neck. It will come and go with different lots of ammo and is more prone to happen in colder temps (in my experience). It never had an effect on accuracy in my gun.

Thanks,

Rick

Hi Weejohn

All 17HMR brass comes from CCI and there is a manufacturing issue with necking down to a .17 from a .22 (which is the original case size) being a rimfire round and having the round chemically primed before adding the bullet, it would be dangerous to heat the round for forging down to .17, therefore it is done cold, this weakens the mouth of the case and causes the splitting in some cases.