Footwear for extreme cold

southernlad

Southernlad .

When you get to canada just go into one of the sporting goods shops and you will be spoilt for choice .I once brought back a pair of wellies with a felt lining ,without a doubt the warmest pair of boots i have ever had . Also look at the waterproof leather boots available ,try and look at the danner leather boots ,much cheaper than you can buy them in the uk . Harnser .

For snow or wet conditions in the very cold do not what ever you do go for a rubber type boot , the rubber holds the cold and will make you experience pain like you do not know exists!!I learnt this the hard way, go for long sheep skin lined boots , made of leather, look a bit like a welly I guess, look on u tube at russian hunters, Germans, poles etc , you will see what I mean.

Have a great time in canada, it has some great hunting to offer.

As said, do as the Canadians do: buy local. You cannot buy anything in the UK that will cope with Canadian winters. Buy knee-length Bridgedale socks here, as you cannot beat them. I wore them when working in Antarctica.

I trust you have bought the requisite 'sex pest' long-johns and other thermals?

go to a surplus store when you are here and buy some Canadian Army issue mukluk's even when i did a soveringty patrol in the arctic with our eskimo gudes on baffin island my feet stayed amazingly warm at minus 48 plus the windchill :rolleyes:

other advise i can give you if you are out treking around tie a rope to your water bottle and keep it under your parka and if you are walking alot and warming up ventilate your self to let your persperation leave otherwize when you stop all your sweat turnes very cold and clammy to your boddy, and another thing i can tell you if sleeping in a arctic tent sleep naked in your sleeping bag and keep your under shirt longjhons and socks in the bottom of your bag so they are a little warm in the morning but if you sleep with them on and sweat in them you wont be to cheery in the morning LOL believe me

Edited by jcbruno