TECHNIQUE

SNAKEBITE

I imagine I could be opening a can of worms but here goes.........

AS YOU SEE YOUR TARGET WHAT IS YOUR TECHNIQUE FOR BRINGING THE RIFLE UP,TAKING AIM AND SQUEEZING THE TRIGGER?

I am interesed in things like the breathing etc.

I can guess that there is more than one method and I wouldn't want this to get into a "mine is better than yours" arguement. All I want to do is to get as many different opinions as possible, try them all and see which one is best for me!!

Thanks for your help.

well i have to say normally i have spotted the target a distance away and stalked upto a reasonable range, then if it's prone or standing i mount the gun, bring the sites onto it's head (bunny bashing) breathe out slowly fine tune aim, stop at about 3/4 out , check aim again, then squeeze the trigger gently

that's the usual plan

(asuming you are well withing range) shoulder the rifle; lock onto target. Take deep breath, so the crosshairs are slightly above target; slowly exhale, so that the cross hairs naturally drop onto target as you do so. Hold breath when on target kill zone, first stage sqeezed (not pulled) gently, check cross hairs, squeeze second stage...................blatttt.

with practice this techinque can be applied in split seconds

Paul in North Lincs.

Thanks for the help!!

That is sort of what I am doing but at the moment I can be over hesitant and the shakes set in!!

When I am target shooting and practicing I am trying to be analytical and try to work out what I am doing wrong. This way I can be better equipped when hunting!!

I'll try to adapt my technique and let you know the results!

When i did alot of air rifle shooting i also used to hold my breath, just before pulling the trigger, i think you just addapt to your own style rather than trying to learn someone else's.

As long as you have the element of suprise when you are shooting bunnies you can take your time and try to control the shakes.

If you still get the shakes get some legs for your gun and practice shooting from ground level.

By the end of my time with air guns, I had a co2 powered air rifle which was ace because when you got the shakes and missed the little blighters they still couldn't tell where the hell i was as there was no noise :oops:

the way i do my shooting is as follows(pretty mucha s has been said above):

check scope on right mag as soon as rifle come out of bag(be suprised how many first shots are ******** because mag too high)

see taget

stalk within shooting range

kneel and shoulder rifle

safety off (as long as its a silent job other wise safety off before stalking)

normal breath in release 3/4 breath hoilod open eyes take up first stage (if two stage trigger) (its best not to hold your breath too long or you will start top shake, if i do just finger off trigger and start this step again)

squeeze trigger gently and pull fully back after rifle has fired

keep trigger pulled until pellet strikes (probably the most important part of the shooting)

and finally breath again (very important bit this bit!!!!LOL)

just rember you dont have to take every single shot you see, if you dont get the pest this time it will always be there for you next time :lol: (apart form rats then point and shoot LOL)

as i said above the most important thing i consider is the follow through always keep you cheek to the stock, eye to the scope and trigger pulled back, you will find this calms you down a lot more than quick pull of the trigger.

its just a case of practise practise practise

all the best

ROB ;)

Practise. That'll be the key to it all then!!

Went lamping on Tuesday, got into the field I said to my mate I'll turn on the light.

On went the light and B***er me if there wasn't a rabbit sitting square in the beam, I don't know who was more surprised!!

Off went a rushed shot and off went the rabbit!! :lol:

I'd have to agree with mallinson.

If you still get the shakes get some legs for your gun and practice shooting from ground level.

There is little cover where i shoot :lol: so it is hard work getting close without creating shadows or being in the light of the motorway :lol: therefore by the time i'm ready for a shot i need a couple of minutes to get my breath back and let the adrenalin calm down a little :rolleyes::lol::) but with my bipod in place, i might get a little wet and dirty but at least i get a better shot to despatch the furry critter

I'd have to agree with mallinson.

There is little cover where i shoot :lol: so it is hard work getting close without creating shadows or being in the light of the motorway :lol: therefore by the time i'm ready for a shot i need a couple of minutes to get my breath back and let the adrenalin calm down a little :rolleyes::lol::) but with my bipod in place, i might get a little wet and dirty but at least i get a better shot to despatch the furry critter

I actually made a bi-pod because my original plan was to stalk across the open field lay low and wait till they came out.

Trouble was I was running out of time and not a lot was happening after 15ish minutes so I walked to the hedge and carried up along the hedge line and had a look what was going on.

The bipod I made was really simple (non adjustable) as I wanted to see what it would be like before spending too much time on one.

I liked the idea and maybe one night I will just stay put for the whole evening and see what goes on!

Do your homework one evening :lol: by walking your shoot to find out where the biggest concentration is of the little digger and place yourself quietly in a dark spot :) where there's no brambles or spikey branches to catch you though 'cuz although i shoot next to a motorway they can still hear the twines or branches tugging on my clothes :rolleyes: . :lol::lol: . I swear they got selective hearing or something.

lol :lol: i think thats the majority verdict on most women m8.

If your ambushing its best to remember to find a spot of cover that is not only well conceald from sight but offers good wind protection as well, As rabbits dont need to see you to avoid you their sense of smell is good if they catch a hint of scent then they can be even more twitchy than normal!.

Edited by ernyha