MOLE

Ferret Master

Hi,

I've just got a call from the steward of the rugby club where I control the rabbits and asked if my ferrets could sort out a mole which is making its way towards the best pitch. Obviously my ferrets aren't going to be the answer to the problem and neither is my usual method of a wine bottle stuck in the ground with the neck exposed.

Traps are also potentially dodgy as this ground has plenty of people walking all over it including young children.

What do people suggest?

FM :good:

When I was a teenager, our family lawn was troubled by moles.

In those days (40 odd years ago) you could get sodium chlorate weedkiller, which when mixed with sugar & sulphur made a passable low explosive.

I mixed some up with lots of sulphur and coal dust with the intention of gassing them out, popped it down the hole and lit it and stopped the hole up.

Fumes came out of the other holes - success!!, then WUMPP, the lawn seemed to lift several inches as the fumes ignited.

No more moles, but the lawn never really thrived thereafter

When I was a teenager, our family lawn was troubled by moles.

In those days (40 odd years ago) you could get sodium chlorate weedkiller, which when mixed with sugar & sulphur made a passable low explosive.

I mixed some up with lots of sulphur and coal dust with the intention of gassing them out, popped it down the hole and lit it and stopped the hole up.

Fumes came out of the other holes - success!!, then WUMPP, the lawn seemed to lift several inches as the fumes ignited.

No more moles, but the lawn never really thrived thereafter

I wouldnt recommend doing this apart from its illegal and you could get done for terrorism if it was found on your person it is also very unstable and you could find yourself waking up with your arm mangled

mods its prob a good idea to edit this "recipe" before some youngster gets hurt or killed

Man pee sorts it out in small area's unless your prepared to save it up in gallon cans. :good:

Just as several animal species "mark" their territory Moles will vacate a man "marked" area. This needs to be done initially between the patch you are worried about them getting to and where they are now. Gradually mark more of their patch to keep moving them off.

It moves them to someone else's property or an area where they wont be a problem. Take plenty of drink before you go shooting and let it all hang out in the dark mate. :good:

I wouldnt recommend doing this apart from its illegal and you could get done for terrorism if it was found on your person it is also very unstable and you could find yourself waking up with your arm mangled

mods its prob a good idea to edit this "recipe" before some youngster gets hurt or killed

As far as I am aware, sodium chlorate (or at least in the form which is dangerous) is no longer available.

I was relating a story from over 40 years ago, when teenagers found out for ourselves what was dangerous.

I won't mention the experiments with making gun-cotton then

As far as I am aware, sodium chlorate (or at least in the form which is dangerous) is no longer available.

I was relating a story from over 40 years ago, when teenagers found out for ourselves what was dangerous.

I won't mention the experiments with making gun-cotton then

Not having a pop mate dont mean to offend either

sodium chlorate is still available and yes there are better things out there to make a big bang but if a young impressionable kid where to read this thread it could potentially be fatal if he made the mix.

Buy the cheapest type of moletraps. These are the so called Bavarian mole traps. Easy to set by pair. Are set under the surface, so you can maw your lawn safely.

The lethal pills create magnesium phosforgas. In holland only available if in posession of license. It's that lethal that you or any animals may not come on the ground which is gassed for three days.

In the old days (strictly forbidden nowadays) people took a few worms took the head away so the worms could't crawl away and would stay in the so called mole hunting holes. Worms were mixed with strychnine. Mole dies within few minutes. There are more ways to catch them. I just gave some simple solutions. Like the Bavarian traps which I use over 40 years.

the way we find best is co2

does the rugby club have a bar if so they will have bottles of co2 that they use for there beer pumps they will also have the hose. berry the hose into one of the runs and turn on the bottle slowley and leave it intill the bottle is empty

co2=carbon dixide =death in inclosed spaces as it depleates the oxagen hence no more problem with mole

Thanks for all the advice chaps. :lol:

I came downstairs this morning to find my Dad on the phone to the steward who was panicing as the mole was getting nearer to the first team pitch and there is a game on boxing day. 'Yeah sure Ollie will come straight up, apparently they are active every 4 hours so he can sit and wait with his shotgun.'

So it seems like my day is planned out. ???

Now... will be using a 12 bore... what cartridges and choke chaps?

Lightest I have is 1/4 choke and 32g of 6.5's or at the other end full choke and 36g of BB's.

FM :lol:

i just used 28gram 7.5s, use which ever cartrige wont make much differance.

follow the path of mole hill and come in from behind (no jokes) stand between 4-6 feet away and wait for the hill to move,when its active it u shouldnt have to wait much more than 2 minutes then BANG!! nail the ******. make sure u dig him out though as sometimes the pellts dont hit and there just stunned.

Good luck

Right well we rolled up earlier for assault on the mole part 1.

I was busy unloading 12 bore, rabbiting spade, flask of tea, Sporting Shooter magazine, ear defenders etc. from the car in preperation for the long wait. I then hear my Dad shout 'MOLE' He had seen the soil moving and was now dancing about like a thing posessed. :lol:

End result moley doesn't put in an appearance for the next 2 hours. In the end we flattened down 23 molehills in a line about 15m in length and filled up a barrow from the excess soil that they had pushed onto the tarmac.

Assault on the mole part 2. will commence on Boxing day as I will be at the rugby club. I will be armed with a spade, a pointy metal pole and a pitch fork... and yes I am starting to feel like Jasper Carrott. ???

FM :lol: