Homeloading

Hello all,

Newbie to this forum. Was looking around the net for advice, and this place looks like the right place to be.

I have been offered first refusal on all the bits and bobs to start homeloading cartridges, apart from shot, powder, caps etc.

Have you any experience in homeloading? I have plenty of time for it, but is it financially worth it?

Any help will be appreciated

Many thanks

Hi mate, and welcome to PW. Homeloading is cheaper than buying them. But you have to weigh up the facts. Are you going to shoot 100's of cartridges and, will you have enough time to re-load. Also, if clay shooting, you may find (as my club does) that homeloaded cartridges are not allowed at the club.

Homeloading is an enjoyable experience. I reload all my rifle calibers, except .22 of course. doing this saves you a fortune and you can load a more accurate round to suit your gun. Different with shotgun cartridges I know.

Thanks for such a quick reply - I appreciate that.

Yeah - I best check the club rules before I do anything. I fire off about 250 cartridges a month on clays, and then I'm out in the field at least 10 times a month, so I suppose it might be worth my while accepting the gear and trying it out, if the club allows them to be used.

Cheers though

You haven’t stated what calibre/bore that you want to reload. I reload both shotgun and rifle. You will only make a saving on the small bores and wildfowling loads using non tox shot. Rifle loads are cheaper and as previously stated can be made to suit you own rifles characteristics.

What sort / make of reloader is it that you’ve been offered? Buying the components can be expensive when you start up.

Sorry mate - it's 12-bore that I will be loading, if it all goes to plan.

Will be loading 9.5s for skeet, 7s for dtl and 6s for pigeons.

I don't know the make of the reloading kit - I haven't seen it for donkey's years - it's all still in my grandad's loft.

As far as I remember there are three parts to it, two of which have pull-down handles (I think one of them removed the old cap and one pushed in the wad), then there was a large clear plastic chamber that held the shot. It must be over 20 years since I last saw him use it.

reloading for what you intend is really a waste of time and money, there are hundred of different 12 bore loads available that are all about as good as each other, the only real benefit for home loaders is non toxic shot for wildfowling because of the government restictions on factory loaded ammo velocities which dont apply to the home loader as long as he doesnt sell his loads, you would be much better of buying your pigeon shells and using the saved time on reccy trips,

If you are adamant that you want to reload speak to Ian at clay and game, he'll put you right

http://www.claygame.co.uk/

mikee

If you want to reload anything BUT 12 bore it might be worth your while but i am affraid that 12 bore are the loss leaders in the cartridge market and profits margins are super slim.

If you remove the cost element, it then becomes a very enjoyable hobby and worth it just for that aspect alone.

Get some good books and face to face advice, you will love it.