Catching Pheasant Up

I have been asked to help catch some pheasants up this year for a new shoot, saying a new shoot there was a previous syndicate but they have left and friends are in. Their not very experienced and i said i would help them catch some pheasants up as i have incubators and have reared pheasants. I know of one way to catch them up but am interested in every way possible! all tricks and help will be most appriceated!

(i no about whens legal to catch up pheasants so just the trapping method and tips please!)

Many thanks.

Hi mate, when we have caught them up before we have used a wooden framed pen with chicken wire sides so the birds can see inside. We then baited it with corn for a few days before putting in a wire funnel so that the birds could get in but hopefully be too dim to get back out. However make sure it's not too easy for a fox to get in. :yes: Sometimes easier to get them out with a fishing net that going in after them as they panic more and can damage themselves throwing themselves/their heads against the wire.

FM :lol:

Hi mate, when we have caught them up before we have used a wooden framed pen with chicken wire sides so the birds can see inside. We then baited it with corn for a few days before putting in a wire funnel so that the birds could get in but hopefully be too dim to get back out. However make sure it's not too easy for a fox to get in. :) Sometimes easier to get them out with a fishing net that going in after them as they panic more and can damage themselves throwing themselves/their heads against the wire.

FM :yes:

As above.

Leave the narrow end of the funnel a bit jagged and rough. Also don't make the pen too small as they can cause a fair amount of damage to themselves.

We did this all last year but after speaking to our dealer we are going to buy eggs this year instead. 40p each. Saves the need for the extra pens etc.

James

Good luck

• 2 months later...
Hi mate, when we have caught them up before we have used a wooden framed pen with chicken wire sides so the birds can see inside. We then baited it with corn for a few days before putting in a wire funnel so that the birds could get in but hopefully be too dim to get back out. However make sure it's not too easy for a fox to get in. :lol: Sometimes easier to get them out with a fishing net that going in after them as they panic more and can damage themselves throwing themselves/their heads against the wire.

FM :lol:

Why use wooden sides.:lol: .Just 2 stout branches pushed into the ground about 1ft deep 3ft high and 6ft apart and run small mesh chicken wire arond them leaving the bottom splaid outward join together their ends from the top down to about 18 ins from bottom and insert funnel in here ..peg down funnel inside and all around bottom.. and for the top run a hazel stick/pole through each top side of the wir mesh pull together and hold with twine/baler string..done it ! and then throw wheat/barley into it (and scater some around outside) ... it is better to leave the funnel OFF for a few days to get them used to going in/out. THEY are MORE RELAXED then .. WHEN CAUGHT FOR REAL.. Easy on cost and can be replaced if in an area of vandalism.... easy ask me another..ha ha... A.J. :lol:

Hi mate, when we have caught them up before we have used a wooden framed pen with chicken wire sides so the birds can see inside............................

Why use wooden sides........... easy ask me another..ha ha... A.J. :angry:

Have you been to spec savers recently ?

• 4 weeks later...