Any train drivers?

paulf

I'm tempted to apply as a trainee driver, I'm currently self employed but feel I'm at a turning point of either heavy investment or a career change.

Basically i wonder what the pitfalls to the job are and if you'd recommend it. PM me if you wish.

Thanks.

im not a driver mate, but work in the rail industry. Its a hard game to get into, but the good benifits seem the outwiegh the bad. Firstly, look at the wage... lots of wonga. Always the chance of overtime ( the TOC i work for anyway), and you can get some good health packages. The other side is that from what i can remember is you have to do 18 month road learning (gradients..ect). Have a look at some of the big firms like Virgin. They do something called the "boil in the bag drivers", they just stick em all in training together, and have a short turn around to get them working asap.

Meant to add, have you thought about being a shunter first? :good:

Edited by martinmoreton

hi mate i am a train driver ,i started 32 year ago first as a traction trainee ,drivers asst

then a driver ,back then it was british rail the wages were **** but the conditions were

good ,when it privatised it went the other way about good money but **** conditions

but if you dont mind shift work go for it ,its an easy anough job once youve done

your training ,give it a try you wont regret it :good:

hi mate i am a train driver ,i started 32 year ago first as a traction trainee ,drivers asst

then a driver .

Same route here but i'm only a laddie,just 23 years in.

back then it was british rail the wages were **** but the conditions were

good .

Often described by those of us old enough to remember as a holiday camp

when it privatised it went the other way about good money but **** conditions

yep some of the franchise holders can be tossers to work.

but if you dont mind shift work go for it .

I love the shifts,gives me plenty of 'me' time for shooting and the like when the wife's at work and the kids at school.

its an easy anough job once youve done your training .

Jobs not to bad but can be hell of a monotinous.It carries a lot of responsibility and some of the companys/managers can't wait to jump on their 'overpaid' drivers for almost any error.Depending on the amount of traction and routes to be learned training likely to be anywhere from a year to two.There is a lot of stuff to learned in the rules and regs,but there is a pretty high pass rate.

give it a try you wont regret it :good:

Yeah give it a go,it certainly beats working for a living

Just a cautionary thought.

A friend of mine changed careers from being a scaffolder to a train driver.

He was shunting one day, checked the coupling, slipped under the wheels and lost both legs.

Edited by amateur

He was shunting one day, checked the coupling, slipped under the wheels and lost both legs.

if its going to happen its going to happen, he could just as easily fallen off the scaffolding

Most modern trains all coupling and uncoupling is done from within the cab. Frieght train are stiil made up the old way, but as mr smith says the railway is full of rules, in fact a big part of driver training is learning the network rail rule book this takes about 3 months to learn and pass out on, you then stiil get tested bi-annualy

hi mr smith we have never met but i know your a driver up at

dundee ,i know one of you work mates who also shoots ,keith

i nearly bought a rifle of him but was to late he sold it to someone

else :yes: you will probebly know tony h down at perth

cheers tam

Aye i know those two,what rifle was he selling don't remember him mentioning it.

If you don't mind just wondering how you had the misfortune of bumping into those two.

Ta,Graeme. :good:

This is the reason the railway is full of rules and regs for safe working.It seems without more detail someone didn't follow them.

Dunno the detail, and he tells me that he can't work out how it happened either - trauma and all that.

But yes, it was a private freight line, so perhaps the standards are less rigorous.

Still a bit of a b u m m e r ....

Edited by amateur

Aye i know those two,what rifle was he selling don't remember him mentioning it.

If you don't mind just wondering how you had the misfortune of bumping into those two.

Ta,Graeme. :good

hi mate it was a 243 ( cant remember make) with a s&b scope itwas nearly 4 year ago

iv known tony for a few years ,im a driver at queen st