decoying on winter rape!

RYAN 2

The best thing for decoying on winter osr is a windy day, if you have chosen a windy day that's half the battle won, one shot on a dead still day and it does not matter what you are using because most of the pigeons will have left (if they are flocked) and won't come back that day, this has been my experience anyway.

have only recently been "converted" to using a magnet!! been using one over rape for about 3 weeks now had some very good days! and a couple of shall I bring it in days? I always start off with about 10 flocked shells and whatever decent "stiffs"I have in the boot usually carry about 10 so generally set up 5 on cradles 2 on flappers then wait? if nothing in within 10 mins out goes the magnet! it does "draw" pigeons that would definately have passed by without a glance, 50% may come into "range" but I have noticed that the birds dont settle well, as with simply decoys /stiffs and flappers was out a week last thurs with the magnet shooting over rape not abreath of wind and dropped about 70 and missed as many again had been watching this field for a few days beforehand and was convinced I would have a good day, this proved correct as they were still coming in as I was shooting?

wind or no wind.

cheers keith

• 3 weeks later...

Short (2ft) carbon tent poles sharpened on both ends (use an angle grinder) make excellent skewers for hanging the birds on. Push the end through the length of the bird and into the skull. Push the other end in the ground at 30-45deg dependant on height of crop. Breaking wings also allows the birds wings to move in little wind, bringing added movement to the pattern. Also useful on stubbles. Note however watch the sharp points with dogs.

i normally only use real pigeons defrosted out of the freezer, the question i want to ask to everyone who decoys is.............

1. Do you use a neck prop on all of the pigeons in your pattern?

2. With there being large winter flocks of pigeons do you think they would prefer to

see 25 deacoys on the floor rather than lets say 10?

3. How many deacoys do you start the day with?

When using dead pigeons I use a neck prop in the initial setup, but often add freshly shot birds without a neck prop.

It doesn't seem to make any difference.

On Winter rape I usually start with a largish layout of decoys, about 30 plus 2 or 3 floaters.

Also the rotary device and an electronic flapper sometimes.

I often reduce or move the layout about during the day, just to change the "picture".

Mallinson,

In answer to your questions.

1, I always use neck props, the more realistic the pattern looks the better.

even if you want a few "heads down feeding" neck props allow more control when positioning the bird.

2, Use as many deeks as you can muster, at this time of year, birds are expecting to see big flocks,

I work on a rule of replacing deeks with dead birds as i get them.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Regards Sutty :) B) B)

When shooting Rape at this time of year I use a Magnet, a Flapper or Bouncer, about 15-25 dead birds and sometimes mix up a dozen shells into them. I use the BBQ skewers to prop the heads up on about half of the dead birds and lay the others down with their tails in the air, makes them look like feeding birds and adds a bit of movement when the wind calches them.

Mark. :)

The most i have ever taken to any field to date is around 12 dead birds and 6 plastic half shell decoys.

Perhapse you are correct about them expecting to see large groups on the floor feeding, as they are all grouped up this time of year.

I normally start the day with just the flapper going as the fields i shoot are or have been over shot all ready by 'magnet fans' ???

:/ Good idea about the tails in the air as when you watch them feeding through the binoc's you can see there black tails more clearly than the white necks.

I have 2 floaters but never really tried them yet, i did once but the wind was too strong and it kept falling over or the decoy would spin round.

I read somewhere that to many white necks stuck up in the air would look like a group of pigeons just about to take off, or alerting others of danger???

cheers for the info :lol: