moped law?

mark_mjs93

hi people, today im at my aunties house in flitwick and i my cousin came in and said he has found a moped for his sister (she is a year older than me) and told his mum, my aunty said that she would buy it for her, it was secondhand and is in great working condition, well at the moment im 15 but next year im 16 and the stupid law says i cant do my driving lessons and test until im 18 my cousin lelani fits into the gap to do hers when she is 17 ao next year she is going to start driving lessons, well this is were im confused my aunty said that i can have this moped when im 16 as long as mum approves, well mum was a bit off with the idea but then decided it was alright, the thing is i dont know what type of licensing i need, i know i need to do a CBT but do i need to do anything additional to legally ride on the road with this moped when i turn 16??? anyone point me to a website or give me the run down here thanks...

Happy Shooting

Mark

:yes:

Little Sweepy can get his first moped in September.

I am already having the nightmares about him being on one.

Lucky enough he will be able to buy a new one(his been saving his money from his paperounds for the last two years)

Sweepy and myself have said we will cover all of his other costs .

personally i say take as many courses as you can.

Between the age of 16 and 18 .I lost to many friends though them being inexperienced on the bike.

God am i dreading September.

xxxxSuzy

Little Sweepy can get his first moped in September.

I am already having the nightmares about him being on one.

Lucky enough he will be able to buy a new one(his been saving his money from his paperounds for the last two years)

Sweepy and myself have said we will cover all of his other costs .

personally i say take as many courses as you can.

Between the age of 16 and 18 .I lost to many friends though them being inexperienced on the bike.

God am i dreading September.

xxxxSuzy

wow im honoured my first mrs sweepy comment ever :D well i have ridden quad bikes around fields still very carefuly but im going to be as safe as possible, i have my brother who rides a real motorbike and cars but he rides his motorbike alot so once i have done my cbt he is going to come with me for a while out on the road as we have the helmet radio things, dont worry Mrs Sweepy ill be as safe as i can, im one of the sensible ones, i cant get my moped until december, but that gives me time to revise im doing my cbt either as close to my birthday as i can or next january... looking 4ward to it ill be safe people dont worry...

appy shooting

mark

:sly:

All you need is a provisional and a CBT pass cert. CBT is then valid for 2 yrs. At which point you will be old enough to do your A1/2 test I think its called. That restricts you to 33bhp but means you can get bigger bikes. Then after 2 years on them you will have unlimited access to any size bike.

That is unless the law changes which they are trying to change atm. Very good to get bike experience though it will make you a better driver. I did Motocross as a lad until I was about 17 then I did Trail riding on & off for years. Been doing a bit of green laning over the last few years, I have a CBR600F Sport now. Just doing my IAM (institute of Advanced Motorists) Advanced Bike test to make me a safer bike rider. Trying to get the Motocross riding mentality out of me. Either way been driving cars for 9 years now and on bikes for over 13 years with no accidents (on the road anyway) so the bike riding has done some good. 99% of the time its not the biker that causes the crash. Its the car that doesnt see you. Secret is to just keep your wits about you and anticipate what the cars will do. Riding a bike 1st has definately made me a better car driver.

Good comments above. Fairone about damage to mopeds. Haven't ever really thought of that til you mention it. Fair comment about the helmet as well. well worth spending as much as you can afford on a good quality helmet, and dont buy one secondhand. End of the day it will save your life.

O, Babes

Your just giving Mrs Sweepy her first chuckle of the day. :lol:

I must say you do sound like the very level headed 15 year old.

But like the others have said on here you can be the safest person on the road .

Theirs always other whos are not.

Getting the right gear is the must. I lost one dear friend because when his head made contact with the ground his Helmet just fell to bits. So a good Helmet is one of the most important items you will buy.

And we all have moments where we.

Now whats the saying .

Put the metal to the floor(long time since i was young and with it) :lol:

And even i have been known to have one or two mad moments on the road. :sly: I still do like to beat the boy racers at the traffic lights. Just dont have the same effect now. When your in the volvo estate .Filled with a load of 11 year olds and dogs. :D

So please just be safe and take advice from the experts. :lol:

xxxSuzy

Dont worry Little Sweepy will be getting the same old lecture. i have just giving you.

But he will get graphics too. :beer:

As already stated, you must apply for a provisional licence and at 16 you can ride a moped, to clarify as a moped it must be uner 50cc and other broing stuff but if it is under 50cc that will amost certinly be a moped under legal definition. You must do and pass a CBT before your are allowed out on the street on your own and you must display L plates front and rear. You can't carry passengers and will obviously need minimum of third party insurance to ride on the road.

You should make sure you fasten your crash helmet strap, unlike pizza delivery riders and alot of foolish youngsters :lol:

Onething further I would suggest and that is alot of police areas do what is called " Bike Safe" where a police motorcyclist will taken you and others out for a day and teach you how to besafer on the bike. Now this is usually for motorcycles but they also do scooter bike safe days, well worth doing.

As a motorcyclist myself you will need to know how a bike handles, behaves in certain conditions, ie wet or under braking, braking in bends, front wheel braking etc

Anything that can help you ride safer has to be a good thing.

Too many youngsters go out and think they are Valentino Rossi on two wheels and come very unstuck!!!!!!!!!!

I will leave you with a thought. How many scooters do you see with accident damage on on them, ie scatches, cracked plastics etc.

I'm not trying to put you off but alot of youngsters do and will come off, whether at slow speed or worse. The trouble is there are too many who think they are fantastic riders. In reality they are anything but!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good luck, be safe and enjoy freedom on two wheels :sly:

haha thankyou first time some one has ever called me level headed :beer: only joking, well i am going to a local motorcycle shop (rick stringers) to get a helmet gloves and bike jacket, although it is only a moped my brother had 3 accidents on his bike, 1 was he slipped on black ice, one day another he was coming out of a t junction and a car ploughed into him and he came off, and the 3rd was when we were behind him in the car, and this van came flying out of a drive and smack into the side of it he went he had a great helmet (well 3 great helmets) but had no proper bike gloves or a bike jacket so had gravel rash up his arms, and he had some massive friction burns on his hands (he was 17), but giving him his dues, he is doing his CBT again in feb (hes 24 now) and then is going to do his A1 i think it is im not sure, he is getting back on a bike and i respect him for that, because although the van accident was sort of him not paying much attention the other 2 werent his fault... im going to invest in the best helmet i can i have enough damage done to this noggin of mine :lol: thanks Mrs Sweepy glad i made you chuckle, the helmet strap thing is a valid point, i have been a pillion passenger on the back of my uncles bikes before and i do strap up my helmet, im not stupid and i promise you i will do as much as i can on the saftey front...

Random Question, my cousin was talking about unrestricted mopeds last night and i was wondering, whats the law on them???

just something to get you thinking about...

Happy Shooting

Mark

:D

PS; hi sonice i dont give a dam if its not "cool" to wear a hich viz jacket at the end of the day is my life im protecting and i would rather be safe and uncool than cool and unsafe, i wear a high viz when i work with my cousin and i dont give a dam, so i dont care about what people think of me for wearing one, someone says something ill tell them if they dont wanna wear one its there death sentence not mine... thanks for the advice though ill look at getting that book, i have the disc on driving lesson thing, and i have been practicing on that as im not the best at hazard perception but i am going to be by the time i do my CBT, and the everones out to take you off bit is great advice ill use that to my advantage... thanks sonic Ace Bloke...

Happy Shooting

Mark

:lol:

Edited by mark_mjs93

You will need to apply for a provisional sategory A on your licence and successfully complete your CBT. However, mopeds ARE absolute death traps for various reasons.

Small footprint on the road in comparison to a larger bike which make them lethal in the damp or wet conditions.

You will be restricted to 30 mph, any faster and you will be driving otherwise than in accordance with a driving licence as this is a restriction placed on under 17's and could land you up with 3 points and £60 fine

We sadly used to pickup alot of injured young moped riders off the roads some with just scrapes and alot more that were considerably worse off.

Good luck to you and safe riding if you get one, but please be careful and be warned, Mopeds are always a hot target for police officers!

Skippy, correct on everything but he is only 16 so won't be able to apply for a provisional A entitlement until 17 ( you can't ride motorcyle until you are 17 young man, as much as I bet you would love to :good: ) U will have to apply for a P entitlement

As skippy says, if you increase your bikes engine performance then you commit the offence of driving not in accordance with your driving licence ( points and fine) as a moped can't be over 50cc and is also limited to output of power ( blah blah) to be classed as a moped, if it is more then that it is no longer classed, by law, as a moped and you will need category A entitlement for which you can't get until you are 17.

Also remember that your insurance could also be invalid. It is unlikely at your age that you would have comprehensive insurance but if you did and your insurance company could and highly likely would refuse to pay for your damage.

Whatever the level of cover is, technically the insurance company have to pay out a third party claim. If your bike was stolen and recovered or damaged by fire and you tried to claim and an insurance assesor may be able to notice the modification and they can refuse to pay you out!!!!

One thing people often overlook when they modify a bikes performance is the braking system. A scooter will usually only have a single disc brake fitted to front and rear. Some youngsters will remove restrictors and do other mods to increase the speed of their scooter and then find their brakes are no longer upto the job of slowing them down quick enough and could lead to an accident.

Don't touch the bike mate, just enjoy it for first year and learn how to ride properly and safely and then at 17 sell it for a motorcyle if you want more performance.

You mention protective clothing and good to see you are doing the right thing. I see yougsters riding in shorts (with kevler skin :yahoo: )protection and also shell suit tracksuit bottoms, funny that, coz I never see that stuff for sale in bike shops!!!!!!!!!! :yahoo::yay:

if you wear tracksuit bottoms like that and come off they can melt to your skin! not nice!

you can buy jeans that are motorcycle trousers, they have protection and padding in them and will put up quite well with a 30mph slide, buy them and your mates will never know you are not just wearing normal jeans!

Valentino Rossi started out life riding 50cc scooters in his vilage in Italy. Now there aint much wrong with that blokes ability :yay::good:

t

hi sonic i wasnt planning on making it go faster it is purley for transport and that is it (and maybe to make my friends jealous but thats all :yay:) im going to get a shark s500 helmet my brother had one, before he stopped riding, and they are quality helmets, should keep my head safe (even if a touch pricey, id rather spend my money on a good helmet and keep my head safe, than go out and buy some silly mod which really isnt really needed) im not the sort to race, im using mine for really just getting from A to B and im going to keep my wits about me on the road and this advice is great help thanks people cant tell you how much this is helping me, the only reason i sadi about deestriction is because i heard it come up into a conversation last night....

and here is another thing to consider i was thinking about this last night (just came into my head) what is a quad bike considered as, bike or car?:yay: 4 wheels, handle bars, quadBIKE, large engine (i've seen 125cc and more) so what is that considered as and would they be applicable at 17???

Ah, I remember my first bike, a little 50cc scoot. I got a 125 supermoto after that, and slid off on gravel four days after buying it brand new :good:

What people are saying about car drivers being dopey is spot on. I've been knocked off twice. First time I was stopped at a junction and guy rear-ended me. Second time some woman pulled out infront of me when I was pretty much on top of her. Went over the roof and landed on my right hand and fractured my wrist. I had three months sick off work on full pay, was out drinking every night and got about £5000 in total out of it, but I wouldn't recommend it. My dad told me, before I got my first bike, assume every car driver hasn't seen you. Best bit of advice you'll get off anybody

As people have said, spend as much money as you can afford on a helmet, and don't listen to the SHARP reviews. Apparently a £60 lazer helmet, as worn by pizza delivery riders, will protect you more than an Arai RX-7, as worn by Moto GP riders. Definately get good gear aswell. It can be expensive, but it keeps you warm, dry and it doesn't hurt so much when you fall off.

Also, if you ride your moped for a year or so, you'll fly through the full test, and be able to get something bigger. I don't know if I'm on my own here, but I found riding a big bike much easier than riding a 125 or 50. You also get to ride on motorways, so can do some more ineteresting rides than just going round town,. and take a pillion. I rode down to Falmouth yesterday and back home today (about a 130 mile round trip) with my mate on the back. I found out then that sportsbikes aren't the most pillion friendly type of bike.

Edited by Vulcha

To ride a Quad is classed a car licence, therefore 17 years old but no crash helmet required to be worn ( mug if you don't in my opinion)

If you have to wait for a year, why don't you go to NEC bike show in Birmingham in November time ish or one local to you, if there is one, you can get some very good deals on crash helmets and other kit, especially if buying a fair bit of stuff.

Don't forget a good chain and lock, or your scooter won't be where you left it!!!

don't be tempted to by a bike, scooter unless someone who knows what they are doing looks over it. Very easy to come off a bike and damage something like bent forks, frame bent and you can easily miss these signs if you don't know what you are lookings at.

Look for damage to levers, bar ends, footpegs, lmirror casings (don't reply on these 100% as they often get scuffed parking near walls etc and any big bike spill will usually smash the mirror gass) lower plastics, exhuast, plastics near seats, basically anything that would touch the ground if you laid the bike on the floor.

I am very fussy about my bikes and I would rather buy new or from someone I knew the history from new but budget will dictate this for you.

The other important things is to look at the V5, log book, for the vehicle and make sure the engine and frame numbers match up ( VERY IMPORTANT) to try and make sure it is not a stolen scooter. They are one of the most nicked things and often end up for sale on ebay, loot etc. Try and look at a genuine set of numbers on a bike from a dealer or a mate so you know what the numbers and style are like on the make of bike you are looking at buying. Each manufacture has a different font / style of number, some are stamped, some lazer etched. Could be the difference between you buying a genuine bike or a stolen one that may get seized off you and returned to the lawfull owner, not something you want.

the bike i am getting is off of my aunty (she has brought it for her daughter from her brother in law) well her daughter wont need it as of next year so ill get it and then when i turn 17 and i do my full license im buying my cousins aprilia 125 chopper nice bike have been his pillion nice bike... like i said im going to pop into my local bike dealers (rick stringers) and get my helmet, gloves and jacket... because i know he sels the helmet i want to get, i have spoken to my brother he is doing his direct Access in feb and then is getting his bike and then once i do my CBT in december i've asked him to come out with me for a few rides and give a few pointers (he has got a helmet radio kit, for when he has a pillion passenger and for when he goes out with his mates that ride bikes to stay in touch, good pieces of kit) and i thought if he comes out and helps me out i can learn a bit more whilst out on he road then i can go out on small trips on my own to get used to it....

hi people me again :Dim just going to ask can anyone recomend a good motorbike jacket, not a leather a textile ones, i prefer the textile ones, a decent one thanks for the help guys going to book my CBT nearer to december for the 17th or 18th of december.... i know i got a while to wait but i want to learn as much as i can before i do it, can anyone help me in the way that how is a CBT set out on the day...

hi people me again :Dim just going to ask can anyone recomend a good motorbike jacket, not a leather a textile ones, i prefer the textile ones, a decent one thanks for the help guys going to book my CBT nearer to december for the 17th or 18th of december.... i know i got a while to wait but i want to learn as much as i can before i do it, can anyone help me in the way that how is a CBT set out on the day...

What's wrong with a good old waxed cotton Barbour jacket - last you for years and you can use it for shooting too. It should be tough enough to tolerate the odd off on a moped too

To ride a Quad is classed a car licence, therefore 17 years old but no crash helmet required to be worn ( mug if you don't in my opinion)

If you have to wait for a year, why don't you go to NEC bike show in Birmingham in November time ish or one local to you, if there is one, you can get some very good deals on crash helmets and other kit, especially if buying a fair bit of stuff.

Don't forget a good chain and lock, or your scooter won't be where you left it!!!

don't be tempted to by a bike, scooter unless someone who knows what they are doing looks over it. Very easy to come off a bike and damage something like bent forks, frame bent and you can easily miss these signs if you don't know what you are lookings at.

Look for damage to levers, bar ends, footpegs, lmirror casings (don't reply on these 100% as they often get scuffed parking near walls etc and any big bike spill will usually smash the mirror gass) lower plastics, exhuast, plastics near seats, basically anything that would touch the ground if you laid the bike on the floor.

I am very fussy about my bikes and I would rather buy new or from someone I knew the history from new but budget will dictate this for you.

The other important things is to look at the V5, log book, for the vehicle and make sure the engine and frame numbers match up ( VERY IMPORTANT) to try and make sure it is not a stolen scooter. They are one of the most nicked things and often end up for sale on ebay, loot etc. Try and look at a genuine set of numbers on a bike from a dealer or a mate so you know what the numbers and style are like on the make of bike you are looking at buying. Each manufacture has a different font / style of number, some are stamped, some lazer etched. Could be the difference between you buying a genuine bike or a stolen one that may get seized off you and returned to the lawfull owner, not something you want.

Moped's are great, you can fall off at non fatal speeds which should teach you to buy something with 4 wheels the second you are 17 :good:

for all who dont know the law is changing (when, im not sure. i think its next january) the new law is making it so people cant do their driving test for a car until they are 18 IM REALLY STARTING TO HATE THAT DAM NUMBER lol, so im going to have a bike for atleast 2 years, lol well never mind will give me valuable experience.....

What's wrong with a good old waxed cotton Barbour jacket - last you for years and you can use it for shooting too. It should be tough enough to tolerate the odd off on a moped too

to be honest i would prefer a proper bike jacket, 1 because that way if i do come off i wont ruin my shooting jacket... lol and because of the fact that a bike jacket are made to protect you during crashes at high speed which in low speed means it should protect me alot...

Thanks

Mark

:blink:

Edited by mark_mjs93

You can ride a quad on a full motorcycle licence aswell, and I agree, mug if you wear no lid.

Mark, first jacket I got was a Spada somethingorother. I bought the matching leggings later on and have had it for four years and its not leaked once. I've come off while wearing it and my shoulders/ elbows/ knees have been fine every time. I broke the protective pads, but they're about five quid for a replacement. Check them out, they're not too expensive either.

Daft law allways changing when i was 16 you could get straight on to a moped.

Mopeds then though had to have pedels hence mo ped but then at 17 you could jump

straight on a 250cc motor bike.Mind you wasn't too many volvo driver's about in them day's.

Better safe than sorry so get plenty of lessons. :good::good:

stag :D

oh hell yeah stag, my brother is going to give me a few lessons, mainly he will get me to do a whole load of "assesing" by say going around in the car and him getting me to explain the procedures when say pulling out of a junction going round roundabouts, then he is going to take me to my uncles barn and get me to ride a moped around the yard a bit (it is big and gives me experience) he can then set out courses with cones and such, and then when i do my CBT hoping i pass ill get him to come out with me for a few rides before i go out on my own, better safe than sorry hey...

thanks

mark

:good: