Pecking Deeks

Do any of you use / or have used those motorised pecking deeks?............. I would appreciate your views on them.

Personally I've never really heard much about them.......are they just a gimmick??

I've been offered some on the cheap, but to honest, I am undecided. If they are a killer then obviously I may be tempted, but admittedly, I do need some convincing :rolleyes::lol:

Paul in North Lincs.

Course they work, they must do, otherwise the Suppliers wouldn't sell them.......would they ? :lol:;)

I don't have any, nor have I used them, but I did consider it very carefully.

Do what I did, look at their action, then consider how close the real pigeon has to be, to notice the decoy is "pecking".

I reckon that by the time it got that close, it would be in range.

So a full bodied, or a shell decoy on a spring stick is just as good and a lot cheaper. :rolleyes:

Remember; my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it. :D

This sport is becoming as high tech as fishing with a gadget for everything, peeking decoys, rotary magnets, we will soon have bleeper’s telling us when to pull the trigger!

The magnets and peckers do work but it would be good to try them out beside a well field crafted conventional set up to see just how good they are and if they are worth the money.

Anybody ever tried this?

Paul,

I've once won three pecking woodies on a Game Fair in Holland. To be honest, I don't find them spectacular :rolleyes: . I just use them as normal (flocked) decoys because it is quit a job to get them working in the field and when they do they make a lot of noise. My advice; you'd better buy normal flocked decoys

The Dutchman

made my own peckers, they do work but not the must have thing, look good in short OSR, neck bands do flash well when in motion, on drill certainly work on the right day, i use 5 mixed with a static pattern normaly, have used just the 5 peckers and decoyed well.

But like most things in this sport different things/patterns on different days.

(piccy of the unit in photo section pages somewheres:)

I make up spring pegs to use with my shell decoys, they bob about a treat in a bit of wind and can really make a difference some days to just using static 'coys.

It's well worth (IMHO) setting out the pattern and walking well away from it to see how it looks compared to feeding birds, one thing you will notice about pigeons if you sit and watch them is how much walking about they do, specially on drilling.

Guess it would be difficult to imitate that action closely so for me the spring peg bobbers do it well enough.

Im with old rooster on this one, I think its to easy to complicate your setup with gadgets. Imho stick to field craft and you wont go far wrong. Decoys on springs work fantastic, just that bit of movement on a windy day definately makes all the difference.

Fert.....good idea! ;):D:D

I think after reading , I'll probably stick to my concventional shells, rockers and magnet set up................................I've not been pursuaded ;) and anyway....I struggle to carry all me kit at the best of times :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks fellas

Paul in North Lincs

Edited by Paul in North Lincs.