My first home loads 223

Just started to reload for my 223 and today was the first time i had a chance to get out and try my loads :whistling:

heres a picture of my last 3 shot group @ 100 yards with 25.0g of reloder 15 and nosler 55g ballistic tip .

Image008.jpg

I can say i was more then happy with my first reloads,I started off low with 22.5g and work it up to 25g ,and a COL of 2.250.0

That will do Rabbithunter,you couldnt realy improve on that.I am thinking of going down the roll your own route @ a £1 a bang its getting expensive and there is the accuracy improvement.

Yip i,am very happy with that and i,ve just worked it out, it will cost me 40p a round, so thats a lot better then a £1 :welcomeani:

Nice group there. The Reloader powders are as I've found very good. I have been using Reloder 19 in my .243 & 30.06 for years with very good results. I bought some Reloader 15 a couple of months back to reload some 80 grain .243 rounds but yet haven't had a chance to try it to see what its like.

Casting an eye in the reload manual gives a quoted 3081fps with 25.3 grains of Reloader 15 and 3390fps with 28.0 grain compression load and that's whistling along for your calibre.

May the winds blow light and your groups be tight mate.

Jim :good:

Edited by Jim682e

Nice group there. The Reloader powders are as I've found very good. I have been using Reloder 19 in my .243 & 30.06 for years with very results. I bought some Reloader 15 a couple of months back to reload some 80 grain .243 rounds but yet haven't had a chance to try it to see what its like.

Casting an eye in the reload manual gives a quoted 3081fps with 25.3 grains of Reloader 15 and 3390fps with 28.0 grain compression load and that's whistling along for your calibre.

May the winds blow light and your groups be tight mate.

Jim :good:

Jim as i,am new to reloading can i ask is it safe to compess a load ? The load data i have did give the max load of 28.0 grains,

Cheers Richard

I've only compressed loaded my 30.06 rounds with Reloader 19 mate. All i will say is use caution and look for signs of high pressure IE pushed out or mushrooming of the primers. I have had this happen when loading like this but its not a regular thing. Just be on the look out for it and if it happens i would use a different powder that you cant compression load, if you find that things seam to be fine use it but just remember the pressure signs

Excellent work mate, I'd be chuffed to bits with that.

Thats what i was thinking to ,so i,ve made up another 50 today :hmm:

Can i ask how do other people work up there loads and does anyone know how many grains there are in a lb.

Richard

7000 grains to a lb ;)

Edited by Ninj

Richard you asked is it safe to use compressed loads? It depends. Nosler quotes a maximum compressed load using 28 grains of Hodgdon Benchmark in the .223. However Hodgdon themselves show a maximum load of 27.3 grains. Also brass capacity varies from one manufacturer to another. The best thing to do is follow the manuals which invariably recommend to start with at least 10% below maximum and always approach maximum loads with caution. Also it is worth noting that by pouring powder slowly into the case you will find it actually settles better and is merely a full case rather than compressed. In my experience powders that tend to fill the case provide more accurate loads, but I tend to stick with powders that don't need to be compressed to get the best results. Watching for pressure signs is also something that can be misleading and dangerous. Flattened primers or loose primer pockets and sticky bolts are all signs of trouble, but without sophisticated test equipment you have no idea what the actual pressure is by a visual inspection. Is it 60,000psi or 70,000psi? At the end of the day it's your face that is inches away from an explosive. You are far better off in my view following the manufacturers advice and working up carefully from a starting load. In any event with the groups you have now why bother trying to improve?

Hello, mate,

Just like everyone else that group impressed the hell out of me!

I just had to have a shufti. My loading tables for your 25gr give 3100fps (using Lee's fiddle factor which he calls an enhancement factor).

Because the group showed such potential, I wound up the Sierra Infinity Suite Exterior Ballistics software propgramme.

Obviously, mate I don't know what range you normally shoot at or why you zeroed at 100. Perhaps the two are linked or perhaps because the 100 is "standard".

The Sierra programme saves a lot of time, money and effort in finding out what happens at various range and it has your particular bullet within the programme. If you'd like an idea of the result of zeroing at different ranges, just say and I'll be happy to do it for you.

Alternatively, I won't be offended if you tell me to shove off.

Hello, mate,

Just like everyone else that group impressed the hell out of me!

I just had to have a shufti. My loading tables for your 25gr give 3100fps (using Lee's fiddle factor which he calls an enhancement factor).

Because the group showed such potential, I wound up the Sierra Infinity Suite Exterior Ballistics software propgramme.

Obviously, mate I don't know what range you normally shoot at or why you zeroed at 100. Perhaps the two are linked or perhaps because the 100 is "standard".

The Sierra programme saves a lot of time, money and effort in finding out what happens at various range and it has your particular bullet within the programme. If you'd like an idea of the result of zeroing at different ranges, just say and I'll be happy to do it for you.

Alternatively, I won't be offended if you tell me to shove off.

wymberley yes please :good: the results will come in handy for the summer and a spot of long range bunnies busting ,I had planned on chronographing the round this weekend and trying it out with the exbal .

TVM Rich