wanted GSP

realtreedave

Very strange request, how much do you know abot GSP's?

MIne is a nut , a very good gun dog when we are working but in is off time a ****. He dragged me and my bike , with the rear brake applied as much as I dare for about 6 km today , yes he is still bouncing around me ...................This is a very very high energy dog , who you must bond with at an early age and make a very tight bond , get it right and you have a friend and guardian for life , get it wrong and you have a whole nightmare!!

As a breed and where I hunt here in germany they are great , open uplands in the states also cool , are you sure you want a GSP and not a wire hair for UK?

A few years ago I had five Irish guys over for some walk/up days .

They had wire haired all chocolate coloured dogs with them .

These dogs were absolute killing machines .Superb to watch !exceptionally well trained .

They all said you have to start from day one ! and make NO allowances !! Get it right ,or do it again .every time.

They also had a seven month old puppy with them (that stayed in the car,not worked ) In between times they would let it out for a piddle . As soon as its four feet touched the ground it was on point ! One of the guys walked forward about 70 yards and a rabbit ran out of a patch of nettles !! Lots of praise for the pup ,had its piddle and back in the car .

To get it right takes a considerable amount of training and time I think. But when its done right its a pleasure to watch .

Just a pity that most of them don't make it that far .

arrghghghghg

It is so painful to someone fairly new to dogs to understand all the abrieviations on Dog names. It's not too bad when somoene says springer spanniel then for the rest of the post say SS I am cool with that. but when it starts with GSP and GWP and XYZ I get easily confused.

so blokey is in Germany so I guess German, I read point so again I guess a Pointer and I also read Wirehaired,

So German Wirehaired Pointer and German Smooth? Pointer??

you could confuse a simple person just reading the forum to try and expand his knowledge.

arrghghghghg

It is so painful to someone fairly new to dogs to understand all the abrieviations on Dog names. It's not too bad when somoene says springer spanniel then for the rest of the post say SS I am cool with that. but when it starts with GSP and GWP and XYZ I get easily confused.

so blokey is in Germany so I guess German, I read point so again I guess a Pointer and I also read Wirehaired,

So German Wirehaired Pointer and German Smooth? Pointer??

you could confuse a simple person just reading the forum to try and expand his knowledge.

Can't resist, here's a pic of what GWP looks like!

28022009480.jpg

I know a chap who has been training GWP's for years, his favourite dog is a GSP but he finds them harder to train. His two Wires' are fantastic to watch and really are a credit to him. I have struggled with my GSP to be very honest but she is starting to come good now at approx 2 yrs old, (and lots of hard work and patience)..i've lost count of the number of people who have told me they take at least two years to grow up, this seems worth taking into consideration as it's been the case with Bree. The GSP is a fabulous dog to own and watch work but whichever it'll take more time than most, (unless very experienced with them, which I wasn't) :yes:

My little bitch has been a pleasure she's very biddable and has been a joy to train. I had here out sitting at a peg for the first time this weekend, sitting at a peg wasn't really her thing she whined at the first drive, I had to correct her immediately. But she got a couple of retrieves. Her last retrieve was a cracker we were standing at a peg watching a walking gun walking behind the beaters a good 400m away. The gun shot a few birds, there was nothing coming my way, but the dog had his shot birds marked well. At the end of the drive the lads started picking the birds up themselves, I sent her accross the field to see if she could make the retrieve before the birds were picked by the walking gun. My heart was in my mouth and lo and behold she picked the last bird and galloped back to me, what a relief I was ecstatic.

Can't beat watching a dog working well.