Woodies on ploughed field

Toombsy

At the weekend I expected the birds to be on the rape again, but no sign of them. Found 100s of them feeding on linseed, not on my permission.

The flightline crossed a ploughed field where I can shoot, so I got as close as I could bearing in mind the roads and lack of cover elsewhere, and tucked into a row of hawthorns.

It wasn't ideal as the wind was coming straight at me, so placed 20 shell decoys in a comma pattern about 50 yards away (leaving plenty of space for the birds to circle and come in), and two Sillosocks floaters, and a flapper.

Managed four hours, fired 18 shots and picked up 9. Winged one and gutted that it got away. Searched all over, but no sign. Perhaps it's time I got a four-legged shooting companion!

Anyway, here's some pics over the next few posts, and something I knocked up in photoshop....

post-14910-1235588385.gif

They are brilliant on floaters mate :good: . You need to fold the leading edge of the wings up a little so they are curved, and providing the wind's around 7mph or stronger, they will flap.

And they fold away for easy storage and lighter than two dead birds. Money well spent I reckon - but they don't work every time.

That was the closest I could get mate. There are trees at the other end of the field, but they are on the other side of a B road.

I spoke to one of the farmhands afterwards about putting a bale hide on the edge, but he says its not worth it - the linseed is being ploughed in at the weekend.

Excellent diagram mate really helps people understand exactly what is going on, and lovely pictures too; I love the final presentation shot :hmm:;) More diagrams using Googlemaps from more shooters here on the forum as well please :yes:

I agree with what some others have said, maybe some flapping plastic bags (a lesson for all of us to have a few in our kit bag as they weigh nothing and take up no room at all) placed on the oposite end of the field to your hide may have shifted the flightline closer to you. If a banger was placed in the corner of the field closest to where they were feeding it would have kept them moving and you would almost surely get some straglers head your way when they scarpered.

Sounds like a good day and with a 50% hit ratio you should be pleased, I know I would.....!!

If a banger was placed in the corner of the field closest to where they were feeding it would have kept them moving and you would almost surely get some straglers head your way when they scarpered.

Good idea. Anyone know where I could get those bangers on a rope fuse, please?

(EDIT) Found a thread on this subject so sorted now. :hmm:

Edited by Toombsy

Personally I don't like using rope bangers on the field I am shooting because they actually scare the birds away. Flags on the other hand can just deter birds from where you don't want them. Rope bangers definitely have a place though, scaring birds from fields that are not covered, hence keeping birds moving.