Rhodesian Ridgeback

danccooke

Ok I have a gorgeous puppy getting bigger all the time.

He is a little Rhodesian Ridgeback called Zak. Currently 4 months old and already 20Kg.

Looks like we are heading into teething and adolecents too.

but the question, Will i be able to train him to sit with me and retrieve pigeons? I know most dogs can be trained to do most things given the time and patients but does anyone else know of or have a gun dog trained Rhodesian??

Regards

Dan

Cheers for the replies peoples.

he is a lovely dog, we took three years from decided we wanted one to making sure we could look after him and we would be suitable owners for one. So it has been a long time coming. I'd love to have him out shooting with me but if it isn't to be then it isn't. The wife already has plans for agility work with him once he has finished growing.

Just thought I would ask to see whats about. As for being pinned by anything he is bold as brass at the moment. unless someone comes in the backdoor he hasn't noticed he barks and hides behind the Sofa.

Attached is a pic of him the day after we got him, he is seven weeks on there.

post-15392-1235894761.jpg

My Ridgeback is only just turned 1 in Jan still growing.

He is doing well with the training and fetches from water no problem.

Used him for flushing and finding shot game in cover which he has no prob with.

Not tried him on the pigeon yet.

I wanted him as a follow-up dog when out stalking but not started training him up for this yet, he needs to get a bit more steady but he is still only very young and life is still a big game to him.

Yes the kitten next door did have Jasper pinned up against the fence and yes he did cry like a baby, but he has grown a bit since then about 10 stone's worth and as i remember SS when you met him last after your shoot dinner He had the better of you :good::hmm:

Ridgebacks were used for more than hunting Lions they also brought down large game, they have the hunting instinct bred into them and you will be able to train him up no prob. i will post a pic of Jasper let you see how well he's getting on in the growth department.

Great breed and wouldn't have anything else :lol:

Happy hunting

PELTMAN :good:

Nice to see a more positive reply to your question from Peltman :good:

Most dogs can be trained to retrieve and Pigeon are more easy because you don't have the problem of runners like game birds. You do have the feather problem to get over but being careful early on and using ferals for practice should sort that out.

Your big problem is hard mouth as it is a big strong dog with (I imagine) no breeding requirement for a soft mouth. Don't wrestle toys with the dog and use soft light items to encourage retreiving. Don't be in a rush to take anything from him and try and make picking up a game with rolled up socks or something similar.