A brilliant night on the foxes

Hodmedod.one

Ian, a friend of ours invited me and ***** to do some lamping on one of his permissions. The ground has not been lamped at all since last september <_< .

We were using Ians Daihatsu with the back section of roof removed. He was driving/squeaking and using the amber filter lamp for the shots. ***** was in the back with me and doing the spotting with a red filtered lamp. I was shooting off a sandbag on the front section of the roof with my Steyr SSG .243. Ammo was my homeloaded 75gn V-Max with 37gn of H4895.

The first fox we saw was miles away so we couldn't get a shot. Ian drove around to the other side of the field and the fox was still several hundred yards away. I got set up and Ian started squeaking. The fox started running full pelt towards us. I told Ian I was ready for the shot and it took him and ***** about six barks/shouts to stop it. I took the shot quickly and the Vixen went down to a body shot :lol: measured at 128yds.

Our second customer was on a nice area of marshy ground close to a couple of woods. He wouldn't come to the squeak so I took a head shot and the Dog went down. 195yds. :lol:

Next up was a very helpful little Vixen. ***** lamped her from several hundred yards away. She was just the other side of a road that is the boundary of the permission. As soon as she was lamped she ran across the road and onto Ian's ground. She was interested in the squeak but didn't want to come in to it. I had made a positive ID earlier, but from where she was I could only see the eyes so it had to be another head shot :lol: . We drove down in the vehicle to find her so didn't get an accurate measurement, but it was definitely over 200yds. ***** soon spotted her on the short winter wheat. As you can see from the size of her belly, she is full of cubs.

Finally Ian said "Look through the next gateway, sometimes theres a fox in the field". Sure enough, there was. A dog, neck shot 150yds.

A brilliant night was had by all. Big thanks to Ian for the invite :lol: and as always to my lampman, ***** :lol:

1st photo kills 1-4 top to bottom.

Foxkills21-24Ians060309.jpg

Foxkills21-24SSGIans060309.jpg

:yes: Well done. That 3rd one is huge. Saved yourself some future headaches there...

We have one left (that we know of) on the farm we shoot on but it won't come into the squeeker or even baited rabbits. Stubborn ******. We know someone else used to lamp on this permission a while back with little success, so guessing they did it badly. :yes: