Your ideal Fox/Deer Calibre and reasons why?

Suffolk shooter

I realise that there are minimum calibres for some deer species, so as an all round Fox/Deer calibre rifle, what do you use or have used in the past starting at .240 upwards and whythat calibre other others i.e if you used .243, why that over .270 or 30.06?

I'd be interested in the results, as I've got my FLO coming round next week as SGC is up for renewal and thinking of going co-terminus and want something for the foxes and recreational stalking of all species (Except Sika and CWD. Well CWD at the moment, but they're getting closer).

SS

I have a .270 for deer and a 6.5x55 for deer and fox but, really it's more of a deer rifle thats used for the odd nights lamping.

For what you want I would say the 25-06 rem would be hard to beat, 85grainers for fox 100-115grainers for deer, fast and flat.

ATB

Moses

Edited by moses

I just had my variation done and added a slot for a 243. Its not massive but is capable of taking all UK Deer species and is a very gppd foxing round.

I was thinking about a 223 or 22-250 but thought may aswell get the 243 and then don't have to buy/apply for a seperate rifle if I want to get into stalking :yes:

It will be my first centrefire rifle, friend of mine uses one and it doesn't half do a good job on fox :lol: and he uses it for stalking so it gets the job done :lol:

Also I had him down as my mentor so suppose it helps that he shoot's the calibre im getting, can learn how to reload and stuff from him hopefully :lol:

I wouldn't anticipate Plod being willing to grant anything other than .243 Win, .25-06 or 6.5x55 for first application for fox and deer. I have owned rifles in these calibres (all have their merits and limitations), and also experimented with the one-rifle strategy. I use a .22-250 for fox only, and a .270 and .308 for deer/fox.

You need to consider whether you'll be predominantly shooting fox, or deer.

I think Baldrick has made a good point. Which are you likely to be shooting the most?

As a Deer rifle to shoot a few Foxes I'd aim at the 6.5x55 as it's very nice to shoot and has great knockdown power.

As a 50/50 gun I'd go .25-06. One hell of a boom when fired, not gentle on the shoulder but it shoots hard for big Deer and flat for Fox.

Mainly Fox with the odd Deer here and there, not many of the larger species? I'd go .243. Milder to shoot than the '06, flatter than the 6.5. but lacks knock down power for big Deer (not saying you can't shoot them with it before anyone starts, it's just not the best choice for Reds etc).

Anything bigger will be tough to get granted I think. All the calibres here are pretty potent and even though regarded on the small end of the scale, they're bloody lethal pieces of kit!

If you're looking to shoot the larger deer species like Fallow and Red then my personal caliber

of choice is .260Rem, but you need to homeload to make the best of this caliber.

I've been shooting this caliber for the past season and it really is the business!

If you don't homeload I would choose 6.5x55.

If you're looking to shoot only the smaller deer species, up to and including Roe, then I would

absolutley go for .243Win, in my opinion the most versatile caliber out there.....

If you're looking to shoot the larger deer species like Fallow and Red then my personal caliber

of choice is .260Rem, but you need to homeload to make the best of this caliber.

I've been shooting this caliber for the past season and it really is the business!

If you don't homeload I would choose 6.5x55.

If you're looking to shoot only the smaller deer species, up to and including Roe, then I would

absolutley go for .243Win, in my opinion the most versatile caliber out there.....

Completely agree with this, except know nothing about .260.

I have a Sako 85 in 6.5 x 55 and am very pleased with it. I shot it yesterday alongside my .223 Tikka T3 and they were both very accurate, much more so than me.

My own path to these rifles was similar to the discussion above. I had the .223 and wanted to move up to one fox/deer rifle and was going to chop it in for a .243. In the end I realised that where I shoot foxes the .223 is the right round, and I would feel more confident shooting red stags with a 6.5 than a .243 even though I have done both with no major problems.

So rather than the compromise calibre, I went for a separate fox and deer rifle and am very pleased that I did.

Everyone's shooting requirements are slightly different and this is the set up that suits me (foxes in Sussex plus very occasional deer, plus two trips a year to the Highlands for stags and hinds). Of course much of this would be different if we could shoot roe south of the border with Scottish rules....

M

Guys,

Thanks for good honest no nonsense answers. As a number of you have stated, it depends on what you shoot more of as well as what you feel comfortable/confident with or in the cases of some of you what you have experimented with and percieve to be the best calibre for you. :good:

For me it would probably more a case of fox than deer at this moment in time if I did go for it, which as some have said on this post and I know a friend of mine advocates the .243 for all round general purpose fox/deer being able to take all size of deer out if using the right ammo load.

Once again many thanks. Food for thought.

SS

I use a .270 for fox and deer. and stick to 130 grains. It makes life easier than worrying about which load you have up the barrel if you use a lighter round for fox, and often I see a fox when out stalking so no time to reload anyway.

I guess meat damage could be an issue on the fox, but I reckon that it is a reasonable tradeoff for being confident about how the rifle performs. Not going to worry me unless someone can come up with a better recipe than last time I tried eating one...