afternoon over drilled beans

bushwakka

I took a half day off work yesterday and heading off to a field that was drilled on Sunday. As soon as I got there a flock of pigeons got up and drifted to the other end of the field. Not deterred I set up just to the left of the flight line using a pattern that was in this months sporting gun, I think the guy called it the high way pattern, it consists of a line of deeks about 25 yards out from the hide, set in a line, it is supposed to increase the amount of right and lefts. Well as soon as I had set up the pigeons were on quite a few singles at first then 4s and 5s. I shot my first 3 pigeons one after the other aswell (I use a 3 shot semi). Then I had the flock come in which is very off putting as I kept changing my mind on what bird I was wanting to shoot, much prefer the ones and twos!!!

All in all the pattern was OK pigeons starting shying away from it towards the end of the session, so I brought in the whirly. only shot a couple of lefts and rights, but well happy with that. I picked up 68 birds was well chuffed with my self :rolleyes:

I sometimes find birds shy away from decoys late on in a session. I suspect the late birds have already attempted to get onto the field once during the day and been shot at. Thus are shy when they return. It could also be due to a different angle from the sun. I often find the majority of birds comming from one angle decoy well , where as those comming from another angle seem not to notice the decoys.

:good: i read about that pattern too in the mag, thought it seemed a bit strange i must admit 'all the deecs in one long line' but was determined to give it a try. I'm even more determined now! Well done mate good result Edited by jonboy1

Cheers lads am still repalying some of the action while at work.... It makes up for all the quiet days.

I agree with Jonboy 1, it is a bit strange putting the deeks in a straight uniform line, but one thing I have learnt is that it is worth trying out new patterns. I sometimes chuck the deeeks out go back to the hide and think that looks terrible then like a flash pigeons are decoying in lovely.

It did take me a while to find a a few patches of beans that had bean spilled around the edges of the field, but the pigeons managed to find them, as when I was breasting them out most of them had beans in there crop.

I see you are from Kent Warlock, I was shooting over near Eastry.

It did take me a while to find a a few patches of beans that had bean spilled around the edges of the field, but the pigeons managed to find them, as when I was breasting them out most of them had beans in there crop.

I see you are from Kent Warlock, I was shooting over near Eastry.

I was shooting out Elvington way.

Hmmm i think you may have permission to shoot on the same land i do. :hmm:

Do you shoot on a field that borders Barfrestone Road?

Might do... :blink:... will have to have a looksy when I go home from work tomorrow, If you see a silver 4x4 tucked up in a gateway its probably mine. Anyway hope you are having some good decoying action :good:

Edited by bushwakka