starting to see the funny side!

turbo33

Spoke with a farmer this evening as a promising lead for some shooting. He said although he would like to give me some shooting, it was a bit awkward as he has two guys already. One does the weekend and the other comes out sometimes during the week. One does the rape and won't have any one else on it, not sure about which crop the other chap likes to dictate over! The farm is over 400 acres!!! I have shot over rape like most of you and I cannot understand why these guys want to be the only one in a 100 acre field. IMO, You need the help of other guns to keep them moving toward each other and off the crop?He is about to sow beans for the first time. So I politely said I would be grateful for the opportunity mid week if the other chaps were not available!

What else can you do?

While not condoning hogging a lot of shooting I can see the others shooters point. If it has taken you years ( it took me 10 to get my first farm for serious pigeon shooting after many refusals ) to get your pigeon shooting , you watch the fields for a few days waiting for a decent build up of birds and then someone else new comes along and is shooting the very field you intended to flight on.

I have been busy lately planning environmental projects for several farmers and only managing 3 days a week out on the farms when the other day a guy came along asking if he could shoot the pigeons on one of the farms I shoot. I knew about the build up of pigeons on the field , but had been covering some drillings . The farmer looked at me with raised eyebrows and I said no problem . But before letting him go he rung around a couple of farms the guy used to shoot on and found out he had been poaching the pheasants in the past . So it was a simple NO to this guy. After being told no he even had the balls to say the pigeons were really damaging the field and he could go at the birds now. Still NO. In my part of Norfolk the pheasant is king and is not to be disturbed apart from driven days , even if the pigeons are clearing a field of rape close to the coverts.

I have a good built up a relationship with my farmers , they give me free cartridges , let me use a tractor and trailer to get my gear to far flung places on the farms and invite me on the several driven pheasant days . In return I have to be prepared to be on call if a real problem arises and give them free advise on conservation matters on the farm. So its a give and take situation.

Edited by anser2

Wow Anser2 you are a lucky guy :good: and good for you too!

I agree with your post in most, but disagree with some, I call my farmer and tell him when i'm coming to shoot and which field or fields i intend to be on, if i need to change i will inform him again. at the same time if any1 else is due to shoot he will tell them what fields i am on, so they shoot another field, in my eyes this can be very helpful as it does keep the birds moving somewhat. this will happen vice versa and things can move along smoothly for every1.

As to the pheasant being KING i think that is pretty much the same every where now as there is huge amounts of money invovled in the shooting of them! correct me if i'm wrong (which i probably am :good::good: )

regards

turk101

Spoke with a farmer this evening as a promising lead for some shooting. He said although he would like to give me some shooting, it was a bit awkward as he has two guys already. One does the weekend and the other comes out sometimes during the week. One does the rape and won't have any one else on it, not sure about which crop the other chap likes to dictate over! The farm is over 400 acres!!! I have shot over rape like most of you and I cannot understand why these guys want to be the only one in a 100 acre field. IMO, You need the help of other guns to keep them moving toward each other and off the crop?He is about to sow beans for the first time. So I politely said I would be grateful for the opportunity mid week if the other chaps were not available!

What else can you do?

You get these kind of guys everywhere ! I can understand somebody NOT wanting to share a permission or 2 but I know of some fellas "presiding" over 1000's of acres and they won't tolerate anyone else.

I hope it is a case of " the harder they come, the harder they fall! !!!!

:good:

I have about 3000 acres but it is shared except no ****** ever turns up except at weekends and even then they turn up saturday all at the same field because you can drive to the decent spot for a hide, if the spot is taken they just go home, i however shoot during the week odd days and i get first refusal on where i want to shoot at the weekend if i fancy it plus the farmer lets me use his quad to get my kit into the fields with no tramlines but can scoot around the edge.

I know what you mean Anser2 (para 1).

It is hard to get permission to shoot, and I can understand people being protective over what they have. Also the luxury of allowing the birds to build up for a theoretical red letter day. But lets not forget whilst we love our sport, it isn't acceptable for the farmer to put up with intimidating behaviour/personal greed at the expense of his livelihood. Left alone for a week to build up, a flock of 2000 pigeons can make a serious dent in the farm accounts.

Besides which, more guns make for more pigeon movement and I would rather be on a 1000 acres with ten guns than have it all to myself. Its exciting to see big flocks, but not if they get up and move 60 yards or more!